Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
Collector Extremely Rare Complete Original Asahiflex I Takumar 50 3.5 Box Hood Case

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Extremely Rare Complete Original Asahiflex I Takumar 50 3.5 Box Hood Case

Asking Price
1,499.00 USD

Item Location
Sydney (Australia)

Item Description
When was the last time you saw an original Asahiflex I for sale, with lens (original AOG silver cap), case and even the box?

You may not come across another one again.

I got this item from Japan some years ago, but now my financial situation has changed, and it is absolutely a reluctant sale.

Unlike the later Asahiflex models (Ia, IIb, IIa), which were more plentiful, the very first Asahiflex was only ever sold in Japan. It's extremely rare. Note even on this forum, there is ZERO review for this model.

The Asahiflex I is a groundbreaking camera for the Japanese camera industry - the genesis of Pentax. Camerapedia has this to say about this model:

QuoteQuote:
Japan's first SLR had a mirror coupled to the shutter button. Press the button and the mirror goes up, release it and the mirror moves down again. This quick-but-not-yet-instant return mirror was a nice feature for 1952, when most SLRs had to be wound on to get the mirror down again. The waist level finder is non-interchangeable. To solve the inconvenience of a mirror-inversed image on the ground glass and to make eye-level use possible, a small optical viewfinder was on top of the camera. The angle of view for this finder was the same as for the 50mm standard lens. The standard lens for this camera was a Takumar 50/3.5 objective with click-stop aperture (see below). Lenses can only be used with pre-set aperture.

This first version of the Asahiflex had only one flash connector, for FP bulbs.[1] The shutter speed markings for this first model are a bit odd: B, 1/20, 1/30, 1/40, 1/60, 1/100, 1/200, 1/500. Of this early model, only about 7500 cameras are said to have been produced, and only for the Japanese market.[2]
For the camera itself, it's currently not in working condition. Turning the shutter dial does not cause the curtain to move. I've contacted master repairman Eric Hendrickson about this. He said it should be repairable, and he can also manufacture new curtains (obviously his comments were over email without having sighted the camera). Since I'm in Australia, it's just too much trouble to get this sorted, so I'll leave the repair option up to the buyer.

The original 50/3.5 Takumar that came with the camera is still in working condition. There's a little fungus in the lens, but otherwise the focussing and aperture mechanisms are all working as they should. Eric will know what to do with it. As mentioned, the original silver cap and even the hood (not Asahi marked) is included.

Cosmetically, the camera is in good condition given it's over 60 years old. There are the usual scratches and marks, but nothing too objectionable to me. You can see pictures of the actual camera for sale.

The original brown leather case has also seen better days, and it's missing the screw slot to hold the camera. It's not recommended to be used, but it's part of the original package. As for the Asahiflex box, there is a some tearing on the side flap, but otherwise it's in very good condition.

Whether you decide to repair it and use it as an antique camera again, or if you choose to display it, you are purchasing a unique piece of Pentax history in a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity.

Shipping from Sydney, Australia. Locals can contact for postage discount or pickup.

Fyi, none of the images were edited in any case - straight from my K-5 with my trusty DA 50/2.8 macro

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Damaged

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge

Shipping Services
International Courier

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
No return unless not as described

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 53 (100%)
PM sent with commitment to buy.
Payment sent.

Last edited by Moe49; 05-26-2015 at 09:07 AM.
05-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
Intriguing how narrow the mirror is! Not for fast lenses...
05-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
iht
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
Original Poster
PM replied to with payment info. Sale pending...