Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
Some Specialized Pentax (mostly) Books - SOLD

I offer here for sale several Pentax books (and one Vivitar book), including a couple of rare ones.

Terms: All prices include packaging, shipping, and insurance to US destinations. Payment must be by PayPal.

Please send me a private message if interested in any of these items.

The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952-1977
By Gerjan van Oosten, 1999
Published by Uitgeverij Jansz
288 pp - over 500 illustrations and drawings
Described at The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952 - 1977: Gerjan van Oosten: 9789076537023: Amazon.com: Books
Price $250.00 USD postpaid

"The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952-1977" by Gerjan van Oosten is indeed the ~ultimate~ guide to the entire line of Asahiflex/Takumar/Pentax screwmount bodies, lenses, and accessories, and is extremely hard to find (due to a limited printing run and the fact that owners don't want to let go of 'em). This copy of the heavy, hardcover "screwmount bible" is in EX+ condition, used only for an occasional reference by a Pentaxer (myself, the original owner) who no longer owns any screwmount gear -- the binding is tight, the cover is like new, the slip cover is still in fine shape, and the pages are unmarked -- I don't think one could find a copy of this work in better condition.

Asahiflex and the Pre-1959 Asahi Pentax Cameras - A Guide to Identification and Collection
By Frederick C. Sherfy, 1994
Published by Frederick C. Sherfy
80 pp paperback - about 75 illustrations and drawings - about 10 tables
Described at Asahiflex and the Pre-1959 Asahi Pentax Cameras: A Guide to Identification and Collection: Frederick C. Sherfy: 9780964110755: Amazon.com: Books
Price $125.00 USD postpaid

"Asahiflex and the Pre-1959 Asahi Pentax Cameras" by Frederick C. Sherfy is a rare, privately published book (originally available only directly from Asahiflex authority Fred Sherfy, from whom I purchased this copy), covering the entire line of Asahiflex gear as well as details about the original Asahi Pentax ("AP"), the Asahi Pentax S, the Asahi Pentax K, and the early m42 lenses and accessories. This copy is in EX+ condition, unmarked, with a tight binding, and with the glossy covers still in great shape (the book was treated as a Pentax collectible, which it actually is), and would be a great reference for any Asahiflex and early Pentax collector.

Pentax M Series
By Clyde Reynolds, 1983
Published by Focal Press
128 pp paperback - many photographs and diagrams
Described at Pentax M Series: Clyde Reynolds: 9780240511948: Amazon.com: Books
Price $20.00 USD postpaid

"Pentax M Series" by Clyde Reynolds is a great book for the owner of any of the M bodies (MX, ME, ME Super, ME F, etc.), along with the M lenses and M accessories. I am not the original owner, although that owner and I have kept this book in EX+ condition.

The Asahi Pentax Book - K Series
By Clyde Reynolds, 1977
Published by Amphoto
136 pp hardcover - many photographs and diagrams
Described at The Asahi Pentax book for K2, KX, KM and K1000 users: Clyde Reynolds: 9780817426057: Amazon.com: Books
Price $25.00 USD postpaid

"The Asahi Pentax Book - K Series" by Clyde Reynolds is an interesting hardbound book for Pentax K series aficionados. I, however, am not the original owner of the book, which is in a generally good condition (unmarked and with a tight binding), except that it has what I'm guessing is a coffee stain on the edge of the book opposite the binding (which, fortunately, did not diffuse into the pages themselves much at all) -- the stain is shown in one of the photos below (in the follow-up "pictures post"). While certainly not rare, I believe the Clyde Reynolds K series book is less common than his M series hook.

Pentax LX System [Two copies available]
By Geoffrey W. Crawley, 1982
Published by H. Greenwood & Co Ltd
79 pp paperback - many photographs and diagrams
Described at Pentax LX System: Geoffrey W. Crawley: 9780900414268: Amazon.com: Books
Price $20.00 USD postpaid each

"Pentax LX System" by Geoffrey W. Crawley is an interesting British book that started out as a series of articles about the LX in "The British Journal of Photography", and I am assuming that each chapter may have been one of the original articles. I would think that any LX Pentaxer would enjoy the coverage of details engineered into the LX system. I have two copies of the book for sale, both in identical EX+ condition.

The Vivitar Guide - A Manual for All Vivitar 35mm Accessories
By John C. Wolf, 1981
Published by Ziff-Davis
115 pp paperback - dozens of photographs and tables
Described at Vivitar Guide: A Manual for All Vivitar 35mm Accessories: John C Wolf: 9780871650665: Amazon.com: Books
Price $20.00 USD postpaid

"The Vivitar Guide" by John C. Wolf is a book that seemingly has achieved cult status along with many of the lenses covered in it, probably because it is mentioned as a source by Robert Monaghan on his historic "Cult Classics in Third Party Lenses" web site ( Cult Classics in Third Party Lenses ). However, to be honest (and I'm saying this as an addicted admirer of some of the Vivitar and VS1 cult classic lenses), I don't find it all that worthy of such a status -- while I think it's a good review book of early Vivitar lenses and accessories, and while it might be quite useful as an introduction to a beginning cult glass collector, I myself personally didn't get much out of it. However, for the most seriously afflicted cult lenses collector, it just might be a "must have". Anyway, this copy of the book is also in only fair condition (it's unmarked and has a tight bonding, but it's otherwise a bit worn). So, while I have seen this listed for even a couple hundred dollars (presumably due to rarity and possibly also due to a greedy hope for buyer gullibility), I have instead priced this copy quite modestly.

For someone who wants 'em all (but only while all are still available, of course), I offer a price of $425.00 USD postpaid.

Thank you for your interest in these books.

Photos will follow...

---------- Post added Nov 25th, 2015 at 12:32 ----------

OK, here are some images of the books for sale -

The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952-1977
By Gerjan van Oosten, 1999
Published by uitgeverij jansz
288 pp - over 500 illustrations and drawings
Described at The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952 - 1977: Gerjan van Oosten: 9789076537023: Amazon.com: Books

Asahiflex and the Pre-1959 Asahi Pentax Cameras - A Guide to Identification and Collection
By Frederick C. Sherfy, 1994
Published by Frederick C. Sherfy
80 pp paperback - about 75 illustrations and drawings - about 10 tables
Described at Asahiflex and the Pre-1959 Asahi Pentax Cameras: A Guide to Identification and Collection: Frederick C. Sherfy: 9780964110755: Amazon.com: Books

Pentax M Series
By Clyde Reynolds, 1983
Published by Focal Press
128 pp paperback - many photographs and diagrams
Described at http://www.amazon.com/-/dp/0240511948

The Asahi Pentax Book - K Series
By Clyde Reynolds, 1977
Published by Amphoto
136 pp hardcover - many photographs and diagrams
Described at The Asahi Pentax book for K2, KX, KM and K1000 users: Clyde Reynolds: 9780817426057: Amazon.com: Books

Pentax LX System
By Geoffrey W. Crawley, 1982
Published by H. Greenwood & Co Ltd
79 pp paperback - many photographs and diagrams
Described at Pentax LX System: Geoffrey W. Crawley: 9780900414268: Amazon.com: Books

The Vivitar Guide - A Manual for All Vivitar 35mm Accessories
By John C. Wolf, 1981
Published by Ziff-Davis
115 pp paperback - dozens of photographs and tables
Described at Vivitar Guide: A Manual for All Vivitar 35mm Accessories: John C Wolf: 9780871650665: Amazon.com: Books

Thank you for your interest in these books.

Last edited by fwcetus; 12-03-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: changed title slightly
11-26-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
If you would consider posting to Europe I'd buy the Sherfy book.
11-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello, Douglas.

I'm sorry, but I have had problems with potential international buyers backing out of a deal when they found out just how much it would cost them to have me ship to their location (all three of them were Europeans). Overseas shipping, adequate insurance, import duties, and VAT charges can all add up to make the cost of shipping sometimes exceed the actual cost of the item to be shipped (depending on what the item is, of course), so I do understand when a potential buyer might want to change his/her mind.

However, in this particular case, if the Sherfy book remains unsold, I will be soon putting it (and any other unsold books here) on eBay, where I do use the eBay International Shipping Program (available for US and UK sellers) to seamlessly ship to other countries. If you do wish me to email you to let you know if/when that occurs. please just let me know with a PM.

Thanks for your interest, Douglas.
12-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sale pending . . .

---------- Post added Dec 3rd, 2015 at 11:04 ----------

All books have been sold.