Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #676
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Glendale.

Andy Clyde was an actor, starting in Mack Sennett comedies. He may be best known for playing the farmer Cully Wilson in TV's Lassie, and as the neighbor, George MacMichael, on TV's The Real McCoys.

Theodore Dreiser was a journalist after dropping out of college, and a novelist of the naturalist school. His best-known novels include Sister Carrie (1900 - made into a 1953 movie) and An American Tragedy (1925 - made into the film A Place in the Sun, twice).

James Doolittle was an opera and stage producer, married to opera singer Nony Doolittle. He had over 500 productions, some of which appeared at the Hollywood Bowl and other So Calif venues.

Nony Doolittle was an opera singer, married to the producer, James Doolittle. Four or more James and Nony Doolittle Awards are given annually as scholarships to USC students upon graduation from the B.A. and B.F.A. programs.

03-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #677
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oak Hill, Ballard.

Viggo Brandt-Erichsen was a Danish artist and sculptor, living in tents and modest shelters for much of his wandering early life. He spent time in Paris with Antoine Bourdelle and Pablo Picasso. He lived in New Hampshire for 20+ years before seeing pictures of the Santa Ynez Valley in California. He moved to the area, which included the town of Solvang, a Danish-styled tourist town. He rented a house in Ballard, and bought land and built in Solvang. Two of his war memorial sculptures are in Jaffrey, New Hampshire.

John Forsythe was an actor, and starred in TV's Bachelor Father (1957–1962), was the unseen millionaire, Charles Townsend, on TV's Charlie's Angels (1976–1981), and was Blake Carrington on TV's Dynasty (1981–1989). He hosted TV's adventure series, World of Survival (1971–1977). After recovering from quadrupal-bypass heart surgery, he costarred as the bad judge in the 1979 movie ...And Justice for All with Al Pacino. He was involved in thoroughbred race horses and was on the Hollywood Park Racetrack advisory board for 25 years. In 2002, he married his third wife at the nearby Ballard Country Church.

Edie Sedgwick was an American heiress, socialite, actress, and fashion model. She is best known for being one of Andy Warhol's superstars. Sedgwick became known as "The Girl of the Year" in 1965 after starring in several of Warhol's short films in the 1960s. She tried getting into mainstream acting, which was hampered by drug use and mental issues. She died of an alcohol/drug overdose in her sleep.

Ralph Snyder was a TV and radio personality. Early in his broadcasting career, his station manager suggested he change his name to Ralph Story. He is best known as the host of The $64,000 Challenge from 1956 to 1958, and the writer and host of Ralph Story's Los Angeles from 1964 to 1970. He also hosted the PBS-TV series Things That Aren't Here Anymore. His casual style and witty observations won him national attention. After retirement, he and his wife operated an art gallery in the local area. Back to you, Ralph.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-14-2014 at 09:12 PM.
03-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #678
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kyle,
This series is great. Good work!

I fondly remember Ralph Story's Los Angeles. Thanks for the memory prod.

-Lance
03-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #679
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I fondly remember Ralph Story's Los Angeles. Thanks for the memory prod.

-Lance
Hi Lance:

I didn't know Ralph was here until a few weeks ago. I had to walk a whole section 3 times to find him. His name was covered by the plant (which I moved for the shot), and the reference photo led me to believe it was bronze with raised letters :-( I have his "Things that aren't here anymore" DVDs.

I had been here twice before unsuccessfully looking for Edie and John with only vague clues. Then I got good info for them (a video of Edie's grave, and a wider shot of John's marker with Viggo's rock right behind him). Yay!

Ballard was the first town in the Santa Ynez valley...

~K

04-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #680
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Forest Lawn, Glendale.

Caryll Ekelund appeared in an odd Shirley Temple film, the Blue Bird. Unfortunately, Caryll died a few days after her Halloween costume caught on fire from a jack-o-lantern.

Jana Lund, sister of Caryll Ekelund, was featured in an 8-page swimsuit article, then acted in Loving You (1957 - gave Elvis Presley his first on-screen kiss), Frankenstein - 1970 (1958), and High School Hellcats (1958). She had small TV parts through the early '60's. She married Arthur Crowley, most famous as the lawyer for Lana Turner's ex-husband in their child-custody battle.

William Lay was an outlaw with his best friend, Butch Cassidy, then with Jack Ketchum. Captured and sentenced to life in prison, he later received a pardon. He tried bartending and oilfield work, and eventually became the Watermaster for the Imperial Valley Irrigation System.

Dwight Frye acted, most notably as the madman Renfield in Dracula (1931) and Fritz the lab assistant in Frankenstein (1931). He had second-billing in The Crime of Doctor Crespi (1935) with Erich Von Stroheim. His roles were mostly typecast as crazies, but his resemblance to then-Secretary of War Newton Baker led his to being signed to a substantial role in the Woodrow Wilson movie, Wilson (1944). He died from a heart attack before the movie was made.
04-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #681
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Melrose Abbey, Anaheim.

Barbara Read was an actress, best remembered in her first role in the Deanna Durbin movie, The Three Sisters. She also was in Make Way for Tomorrow, The Man Who Cried Wolf, Sorority House, Curtain Call, Rubber Racketeers, Key Witness, and her last role on an episode of TVs Racket Squad. She gassed herself in her home, citing ill health.

Robert Dudley was an actor in silent movies, and mostly uncredited, in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The House of the Seven Gables, Citizen Kane, The Devil and Daniel Webster, Lady on a Train, The Sin of Harold Diddlebock, Mourning Becomes Electra, and As Young as You Feel.

Greenlawn SW, Bakersfield.

Buck Owens taught himself to play the mandolin, then other instruments. He was a country music star out of Bakersfield CA with his band, the Buckaroos. Owens had 45 songs in the country Top 10 and numerous number one hits including I've Got a Tiger by the Tail, Act Naturally, Love's Gonna Live Here, Together Again, and Waiting' in Your Welfare Line. Owens co-hosted the slapstick country comedy TV show Hee-Haw from 1969 to 1986 and performed the TV Buck Owens' Ranch Show.

Green Hills, RPV.

CMOH, Edward DeVore subsequently died after trying to rescue wounded soldiers. "Sp4c. DeVore, ignoring his pain and the warnings of his fellow soldiers, jumped to his feet and continued his assault under intense hostile fire."

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-27-2014 at 08:44 PM.
04-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #682
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Holy Cross, Culver City.

Gypsy Abbott acted on stage and in vaudeville, and played Flora Belle Fry in a road production of George M. Cohen’s Little Johnny Jones. Her 40 silent films, all made during 1913-1917, include The Luckless Scheme, The Musical Marvel, and A Circus Cyclone. She was married to director Henry King.

Cammie King was a child actress appearing in Gone With the Wind as Scarlett and Rhett's daughter, and providing the voice of Faline in Disney's animated Bambi. “Imagine being in two classics and never doing another thing after that." In later years she worked for the Mendocino Coast Chamber of Commerce and started its film commission. She is the step-daughter of Herbert Kalmus of Technicolor fame, who is buried to her right.

Louella Parsons was a movie columnist and was retained by William Randolph Hearst, possibly because she had praised Hearst's mistress Marion Davies, and her columns were read by 20 million people in 400 newspapers worldwide. Parsons saw herself as the social and moral arbiter of Hollywood. Her judgments were considered the final word in many cases.

Maria Margarita Suarez Sierra was born in Madrid, Spain, and was a singer and dancer in night clubs, and acted in a supporting role as the nightclub singer Cha Cha O'Brien on the early 1960s TV series, Surfside 6. One song from the series, Cha Cha Twist, was released as a single but did not rise in the charts. She died at age 27, a day after having heart surgery.

05-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #683
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Cayucos-Morro Bay.

Donald Siegel was a film director and producer. Films include Invasion of the Body Snatchers, five Clint Eastwood movies including Dirty Harry and Escape from Alcatraz, and John Wayne's final picture, The Shootist. He has a cameo role as a bartender in Play Misty For Me, as a "pod" taxi driver in the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and as a ping-pong player in Charley Varrick.

Coachella Valley.

John Van Druten was an English playwright and theatre director, known for his plays of witty and urbane observations of contemporary life and society. Plays in the 1920s-30's include Young Woodley, Diversion, After All, London Wall, There's Always Juliet, Somebody Knows, Behold We Live, The Distaff Side. and Flowers of the Forest. Later titles include Leave Her to Heaven, Old Acquaintance, The Voice of the Turtle, Make Way for Lucia, and I Am a Camera.

Frank Capra was a film director, winning three Oscars. Films include It Happened One Night, You Can't Take It With You, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life, and Pocketful of Miracles. During World War II, Capra served in the US Army Signal Corps and produced propaganda films including the Why We Fight series. He also He served as President of AMPAS, worked with the Screenwriters Guild, and was head of the Directors Guild of America.

Mt. Sinai, Los Angeles.

Jack Schwab and his brothers co-owned Schwab's drugstore in Hollywood, a popular hangout for movie actors and movie industry people from the 1930s through the 1950s, erroneously famous as the location of the discovery of actress Lana Turner.

Pincus Leff, as Pinky Lee, was a stage comedian, and hosted the popular TV show called 'The Pinkie Lee Show', and later, The Gumby Show and the Pinky Lee Kids TV Show. He can be seen on film in Lady of Burlesque, Earl Carroll's Vanities. and Blonde Ransom.

Yoo hoo, it's me,
My name is Pinky Lee.
I skip and run with lots of fun
For every he and she.
It's plain to see
That you can tell it's me
With my checkered hat
And my checkered coat,
The funny giggle in my throat
And my silly dance
Like a billy goat.
Put 'em all together,
Put 'em all together,
And it's whooooo?

(Audience): Pinky!

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-03-2014 at 09:22 PM.
05-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #684
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mountain View, Alta Dena.

George Baker was a sculptor known for his abstract works such as "Nebraska Wind Sculpture" located along Interstate 80, a fountain at the World Trade Center in Long Beach California, and a kinetic fountain at CIT in Pasadena. He has works in the Whitney Museum, the Museum of Modern Art in NY, and the Museum of Nebraska Art in Kearney.

James Williams was a cartoonist who created the comic strips The Willets Family and Out Our Way. “It was just this little knack I’d developed for drawing things. Nobody outside the bunkhouse or the machine shop had ever seemed to want my style of small-town humor, but I was too stubborn to give up.”

Francis Sheldon was a WW I Captain in the Medical Corps, and pioneered many medical innovations that are used in difficult field conditions.

Ted Husing was a radio broadcasting pioneer, and one of the foremost play-by-play announcers in American sportscasting history. His often candid editorial style got him barred by Harvard from covering home games after calling quarterback Barry Wood's performance "putrid." After criticizing World Series umpires in 1934, Husing was banned from doing future play-by-play. He also appeared in several motion pictures playing 'himself.'

William Wagner was a stage and movie actor of the 1920s, 30s, and 40s. He appeared with Tyrone Power and Madeleine Carroll in the 1936 Oscar-nominated drama "Lloyd's of London."

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-07-2014 at 06:49 AM.
05-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #685
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Went over 200,000 views. Just sayin'...

Mount Sinai, Hollywood Hills.

Harold Stone began acting on Broadway in 1939 and appeared in One Touch of Venus, and Stalag 17. His film debut was in The Blue Dahlia (1946). Later, he co-starred on TV's The Hartmans, and appeared in The Harder They Fall, The Wrong Man, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Spartacus, and Girl Happy. He was nominated for an Emmy for his role in The Nurses.

Robert Lewis was a radio and TV personality, game show host, and actor. Lewis started in radio in 1931 at age 11 on "Dr. Posner's Kiddie Hour". He later had a 15-minute radio program called The Little Show, then Robert Q.'s Waxworks. He was the first host of TVs The Name's the Same game-show, later Make Me Laugh, and replaced Merv Griffin on Play Your Hunch. As a frequent guest panelist on What's My Line?, his blindfold featured a sketched pair of his trade-mark round glasses.

"Bern" Hoffman acted in Li'l Abner; Kiss Me, Stupid; and Nocturne. On TV he was in multiple episodes of the Red Skelton Hour, The Untouchables, Bonanza, Wagon Train, and The Streets of San Francisco.

Lester Schorr was a cinematographer on Woody Allen's Take the Money and Run, but was best known for his TV work including 31 episodes of Bonanza, 36 episodes of Pete and Gladys, 36 episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies, 41 episodes of Branded, 22 episodes of The Brady Bunch, 15 episodes of The Odd Couple, and 38 episodes of Laverne and Shirley. He won an Emmy for an episode of Medic in 1955.

Bonnie Franklin started out tap dancing which got her on The Colgate Comedy Hour, then she got into stage acting, though her most famous role was as the mother on TV's One Day At A Time, for which she earned an Emmy. Marvin Minoff was a producer, known for The Nixon Interviews, Dominick and Eugene, and Patch Adams.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-27-2014 at 08:54 PM.
05-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #686
Veteran Member

Thomas Alva Edison & his 2nd wife Mina Miller Edison
resting place - their backyard in West Orange, NJ
Name:  IMGP6619.jpg
Views: 3618
Size:  359.9 KB

Name:  IMGP6620.jpg
Views: 8667
Size:  241.4 KB

Name:  IMGP6621.jpg
Views: 3044
Size:  236.8 KB
05-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #687
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Eden, Mission Hills.

John Brown played both Gillis and Digby "Digger" O'Dell on radio's The Life of Riley series. He also played Al on radio's My Friend Irma. He was on 7 episodes of The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, and films include Casanova Brown, It's in the Bag, Strangers on a Train, Something for the Birds, Hans Christian Andersen, and The Wild One.

Barney Gorodetsky, as Bert Gordon, was a comedian and voice actor who appeared in vaudeville, radio, and a few films. He was a regular on The Eddie Cantor Program, and appeared on The Jack Benny Program and The Abbott and Costello Program. In 1945 he starred in his own film vehicle, How Doooo You Do!!! He appeared in an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show in 1964 along with several other radio-era performers.

Michael Gilden was a financial advisor who also acted or did stunt work in a variety of TV series and films. He was on Charmed, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Family Law, Cybill, NCIS, and the movies Pulp Fiction, and Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi as an Ewok. Dawarfism stunted his growth at 4 ft 6 inches.

Phil Foster was an actor, best-known for playing Frank De Fazio on TV's Laverne & Shirley. Other TV included The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, and The Odd Couple. Films include The Patsy, and Bang The Drum Slowly.
06-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #688
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Desert Memorial, Palm Springs.

Josephine Brock, aka Bobbe Van Heusen, was the last surviving member of the Brox Sisters singing trio of the 1920's. Hits include their syncopated version of Everybody Step. She appeared in Headin' South (1929), Hollywood on Parade No. A-1 (1932) and King of Jazz (1930). The trio sang "Singin' in the Rain" with Cliff Edwards in the oscar-nominated Hollywood Revue of 1929.

Eunice Brock, aka Lorayne Brox, was another member of the Brox Sisters. In addition to the trio's movies, she appeared singly in The Proud and Profane (1956).

Antoinette Lees began her film career in 1934, playing bit parts using her given name. As Andrea Leeds, she her first major role was in Come and Get It (1936) followed by It Could Happen to You (1937). She had a supporting actress oscar-nomination for Stage Door (1937). Other movies include The Goldwyn Follies, They Shall Have Music, The Real Glory and her last, Earthbound (1940).

Bill Goodwin was TV announcer and actor. He was the announcer for radio and TV's Burns & Allen Show and The Bob Hope Show om radio. He was in 33 films including Blondie in Society, Spellbound, To Each His Own, The Jolson Story, Tea for Two, and The Opposite Sex.
06-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #689
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Eternal Valley, Newhall.

Noble Johnson was an African-American actor starting in the silent era. Films include The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, the original The Ten Commandments, and The Thief of Bagdad. Talkies include Moby Dick (1930) as Qeequoq, King Kong and The Son of Kong as the tribal leader on Skull Island, Lost Horizon as one of the porters. and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon as Chief Red Shirt. Johnson also was an entrepreneur, and in 1916 he founded his own studio to produce what would be called "race films" - movies made for the African-American audience, which were ignored by the mainstream film industry.

Robert Bice acted in "It! The Terror from Beyond Space" (1958), Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944) and The James Brothers of Missouri (1949). TV included The Adventures of Kit Carson, The Lone Ranger, The Roy Rogers Show, The Rifleman, Wagon Train, Perry Mason, Burke's Law, and 17 episodes of The Untouchables as the police captain Jim Johnson.

Henry Wills was a stuntman in almost 190 roles, which included 1,400 filmed horse-falls. He acted, mostly uncredited, in Samson and Delilah; One-Eyed Jacks; The Cisco Kid; Shane; Away All Boats; Zorro; Maverick; The High Chaparral; Rawhide; and Bonanza.

Edmund Gilbert acted in the film 36 Hours, and TV's Combat!, Ben Casey, Mannix, and Mission: Impossible before getting into voice work. Those roles include The Transformers, BraveStarr, Toxic Crusaders, James Bond Jr, GI Joe, TailSpin, Swat Kids, Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills, Aladdin, Captain Planet, The Tick, and many others.
06-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #690
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Crestlawn, Riverside.

George Ingalls earned a CMOH ...for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty...a hand-grenade was thrown from the nearby dense undergrowth into the center of the squad's position. The grenade did not explode, but shortly thereafter a second grenade landed directly between Sp4c. Ingalls and a nearby comrade. Although he could have jumped to a safe position, Sp4c. Ingalls, in a spontaneous act of great courage, threw himself on the grenade and absorbed its full blast. The explosion mortally wounded Sp4c. Ingalls, but his heroic action saved the lives of the remaining members of his squad.

In addition to his name on the veteran's monument wall, he has a marker in the middle of the next section to the south.

Mike Darr was drafted by the Detroit Tigers but traded to the San Diego Padres, where he played outfield for 3 years. A great defensive player, his stats are .273 Batting Average, 5 Home Runs, 67 RBIs, 148 Hits in 188 games played.

Two of his five homers were game winners. He and another person not wearing a seatbelt were killed in a car crash, while the third person, wearing a seatbelt, survived.

Roland Harrah was an actor and musician. His credits include Kung Fu: The Movie (1986), Braddock: Missing in Action III (1988), Shadow of China (1990), and TV's Airwolf. He was nominated for a Young Artist Award in 1987 and 1989.

Darwood Kaye was a child actor, appearing in several Our Gang shorts as Waldo. His last role was in My Reputation in 1946 with Barbara Stanwyck. Darwood gave up his career and became a Seventh-day Adventist minister, spending many years in Thailand. He was a part-time pastor at La Sierra University Seventh-day Adventist Church in Riverside.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-12-2014 at 06:19 AM.