Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Spooky halloween night challenge!

Hey all, I thought with halloween coming up we can do something a bit fun and amusing. The theme for this challenge is Spooky Hallween Night. There are no prizes other than bragging rights on shots well done, it is for fun after all.

What:

Night shots- nature, landscape, structures, etc... Your best spooky outdoor photos (remember throwing out the rules can make things look interesting... example grain in image), no portrait shots or pet shots (see rules).

When:

TRUE halloween night (Fri., Oct. 31st, 2014).

Rules:

Any camera, lens, location (except for places intentionally designed to be spooky such as haunted houses/haunted hayride attractions, etc.). No portrait or pet shots, this isn't blair witch, all shots must be taken outdoors or be of something that is outdoors with no people in the shot. Must be taken after the sun has gone down on Oct. 31st, 2014 until 1am Nov. 1st, 2014 (this will be shown in exif data). Must use available light, with a very small allowance for light painting or effect (candles, single flashlight, or lanterns in distance) no flashes, strobes or ringlights, lightpanels, etc...

You may use some minimal props (halloween decor such as hanging skeletons, etc) if absolutely necessary. Collaboration is allowed and welcomed, after all this is meant to be fun and amusing. All final images must be uploaded/posted to the thread no later than 2pm Nov. 1st, 2014.

Explanation:

I thought this would be rather fun, and hopefully it turns out that way. I'd like to make this an annual "for fun" challenge.

10-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good luck to all those who choose to participate in tomorrow's event. Weather is looking a bit iffy here for tomorrow, but I'm keeping a close eye on it and will still try rain or not.
10-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Good idea, not sure how much halloween is going to be in this area, but i will keep my eyes open and hope for a creative moment
10-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm looking forward to tonight very much... got work and possible rain-rain/snow mix and colder temps. Still going to go out and try to snap some spooky pics. It's definitely going to be quite the challenge with the clouds though, less ambient light to work with from the clouds concealing the moon. I might have to actually utilize the lightsource allowance I set forth in the rules to get any shots.

Anyway, I hope anyone participating tonight has a blast. Good luck to all who are planning on participating. To those of us in areas with potential inclement weather, just remember to bundle up and keep the cameras as dry as possible given the weather. I highly look forward to seeing everyone's results!

10-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got some shots in. It's raining and all sorts of garbage weather here, so I didn't really get to let loose and get the shots I really wanted (gotta protect the M 28mm 2.8 since it's not weather sealed, and didn't want to lug a ton of stuff on slippery trails. Here's what I got, despite most of them not really looking spooky:

Personally, #979 is my favorite of the bunch. Light enough that you can just make out details, but dark and semi-eerie. The shots where the trees are glowing blue was from my LED lantern casting light combined with 2500K white balance to give it even more of a blue hue. It gives the image of the trees in front of the water a surreal effect, as if the trees were being illuminated by foxfire. As you can see a few cars decided to come down the road while I was shooting, so I got the trails from the headlights and tail lights in that particular shot.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else got.
11-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nobody else?
11-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guess there's always next year.

11-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oops didn't see this event till too late.
Problem for me is Halloween is full of people so the rules would leave my shots DQ.
Good idea though.
11-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
NKK
Inactive Account

Totally missed this, did not have a good opportunity to shoot. Sorry about that.
11-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was a great idea, just didn't work out for me. Why does it have to be Halloween night? We could "fake" it!
11-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where's the fun in faking it? Part of the challenge is the scramble to get it all done within that window of about 6.5 hrs. Halloween night brings about a lot of unpredictable stuff from weather changes to rare encounters with wayward decorations (those fake plastic ghosts you put balloons in the heads of and hang from trees? yeah... those go flying off the tree in wind and can buzz past an open shutter easily... lol. As much as I'd have liked for the challenge to have taken off, it was a bit short notice @ less than a week, plus for quite a few the weather wasn't exactly fun, or they had made prior plans.

But as I stated above, there's always next year! At least now I get to try to come up with a new challenge until halloween rolls around again.