Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PP Challenge 144

Thanks Glenn for hosting the last round. I don't have much time to hunt for an image so I rather hastily decided on this one, shot just a few mornings ago with K5+FA43.... I hope it's considered a suitable selection...

I will try to remember to close this round at some point next Thursday evening California time. Please be daring, bold, and adventurous.

The unedited 6mp JPG:

Here's the DNG
Here's the JPG again (6mp)
Here's an alternative DNG if you're interested in trying it, which was made using HDRMerge and is a combination of the above DNG (which is the 0 exposure), then a -1.7 exposure and a +1.7 exposure... Note: This was made without tripod on a breezy hilltop, so it looks different than the single file DNG, but because of what HDRMerge does, it affords a bit more processing latitude if you're really trying to push things around... Also, I use Rawtherapee which works with this merged DNG, but I don't know if it will open in Lightroom or other raw editors... If you do try this alternative DNG and end up posting an entry from it, it would be nice (just for my curiosity) if you mentioned it...

Information for the next host:
The MediaFire website is: mediafire.com
The log in name is: pentaxchallenge @ yahoo.com
The password is: postprocessing

Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge, to help the next winner.

04-17-2015, 03:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge 144

Experimenting with Nik Color Efex Pro's Contrast Color Range filter (I used the alternative DNG)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by NeatKnight; 04-17-2015 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Add information
04-17-2015, 03:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

First Try:

Last edited by D1N0; 04-20-2015 at 05:26 AM. Reason: second
04-17-2015, 05:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A B/W pano.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Dang those rocks were heavy...
Enjoy!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Used a couple of Efex Pro filters. First a graduated neutral density filter. Then a Kodachrome 64 filter.

Tim
04-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
great stuff all keep 'em comin'

04-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For this one I decided to focus on the valley, mountains, and fog. I made a VERY dark version in raw that brought out the mountain and fog detail nicely, opened it, and then adjusted the blacks to a normal setting and opened a second copy. These formed the base layers from which I built upon. I placed the dark layer on top of the normal layer, set the blending mode to luminosity and the opacity to 35%. This kept the mountains and fog in detail while allowing the valley to have some illuminated areas, too.

I then placed a copy of the normal layer on top and set the blending to overlay. I set the opacity to 65%. This made some of the image's highlight pop a bit and brought out a LOT of detail in the valley fog without blowing out the mountain fog.

I copied the top layer and made a gradient from black to white (going top to bottom). I set the blending to lighten and kept the opacity at 100%. This made most of the image white or gray. So using the eraser at 2,500 pixels and 30% pressure, I erased large swaths bottom to top until I reached the mountains. There I erased in a pattern that matched the mountains' contours, but kept the large eraser area and light pressure. This, since 30% pressure requires six passes for full erasure, I think, allowed each pass to feather and blend nicely and preserved a natural look.

On top of that I placed a purple to orange gradient with the purple on the top left an orange on the bottom right. This is my go-to sunset gradient. I set the blending to color and opacity to 15%. This brought some of the blueness back to the sky on the left side while providing a very warm tone to the image.
04-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

This one was a learning experience. Thanks for the fun.
Attached Images

04-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Second and last entry.

Tim
04-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I played around with it a bit.

04-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
y'all makin' it tough... keep 'em comin'!
04-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well...here is my attempt.

04-23-2015, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I realized during the week that it just wasn't a very engaging photo for this challenge... Y'all made valiant efforts anyway and I enjoyed them all. Thanks for playing!

The finalists are as follows:
3rd place: Arizona Dave. I appreciated all your entries, and #1 was my favorite from among them. A very tasteful conversion, and probably closest to my version, though I cropped it a bit differently...
2nd place: K David. It was a close call for having you at 2nd or 1st. Very fine work you did here and really appreciate the detailed account of it.
1st place goes to..... atupdate, your first entry. I like it. Looks great! That's my story. Sticking to it.

Thanks again for playing and see y'all next round.
04-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations atupdate! Looking forward to 145. Well done K David and Arizona Dave.