Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

PP Challenge 151: Night in Seattle

Winners Announced in Post #40!!!

This Challenge is now closed for submissions! Results Soon!

Thanks unkipunki for hosting the last round and for choosing my version from all of the excellent entries.

I was in Seattle with my family last week and got this shot. I just finished my own versions of this one and am anxious to see what you all can come up with.

JPEG Preview

You have the option of 3 file formats to work with.

Download PEF: Simple File Sharing and Storage.
Download DNG: Simple File Sharing and Storage.
Download JPEG: Simple File Sharing and Storage.

If this is your first Post-processing Challenge - Fear not! It's easy and fun, so jump right in. Just download the file and reply to this thread with your post-processed version.
Feel free to experiment and post as many versions as you like. At the end of the week, it is up to me to choose the host for the next round.

I'll close the challenge when I awaken on Wednesday the 17th of June.

Information for the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: pentaxchallenge@yahoo.com
The password is: postprocessing
Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge to help the next winner

Last edited by Arizona Dave; 06-17-2015 at 04:47 PM.
06-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Here is my contribution

06-10-2015, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First one is Silky Pix and CS2

The second is an example of when the trees grew up and the construction was finished.

A third try all done in CS2

And a 4th and final done in CS2, cloned out the crane, cloned out the annoying bright red sign in lower right corner and also toned down the bright white arches some.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by Rimfiredude; 06-13-2015 at 01:58 PM.
06-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Tried a square crop bringing the tower and the skyline of high-rise buildings into the spotlight.

Attached Images

06-10-2015, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #5

panorama style

06-10-2015, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never tried a city-scape before, in the day or night. Turns out it's kinda fun

06-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Never tried a city-scape before, in the day or night. Turns out it's kinda fun
very nice ! how did you insert this photo, I find it has better rendering quality than the photos I insert in my threads

06-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iss2012 Quote
very nice ! how did you insert this photo, I find it has better rendering quality than the photos I insert in my threads
I have an album on the forum with a 'challenges folder' and I copied the BB code from the image into the post on this thread. But there's more to it than just that really. After processing at full size I:

1. Downsized the full scale processed image to 1280 pixels on the x axis in photoshop CS6
2. Applied Gaussian Blur at 6.4 radius and reduced the opacity of the blur to 8%
3. I then applied additonal smart sharpening at 0.3 pixel radius level 200 and reduced the opcity of the sharpening to ~50% or until the artifacting of the sharpening doesn't damage the image.
4. Exported to web jpeg SRGB at as near 1.0mb as I could
5. Uploaded to my challenges album on the forum.

I find that playing with the Gaussian blur level and various sharpening levels then reducing the opacity of those effects makes downsized images appear much more like the full sized version when exported to web. And that making those adjustments at the native resolution of the web host (in this case 1280 pixels wide) gives the best result. It's best if you have Photoshop to make these adjustments as a 'smart object' as this allows various combinations of the two effects to be tried out before 'flattening' the final finished re sized version . Oh, and the native resolution is 2048 pixels wide for facebook and something similar for flickr.

I hope that helps more than it hinders

Andrew
06-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have an album on the forum with a 'challenges folder' and I copied the BB code from the image into the post on this thread. But there's more to it than just that really. After processing at full size I:

1. Downsized the full scale processed image to 1280 pixels on the x axis in photoshop CS6
2. Applied Gaussian Blur at 6.4 radius and reduced the opacity of the blur to 8%
3. I then applied additonal smart sharpening at 0.3 pixel radius level 200 and reduced the opcity of the sharpening to ~50% or until the artifacting of the sharpening doesn't damage the image.

I find that playing with the Gaussian blur level and various sharpening levels then reducing the opacity of those effects makes downsized images appear much more like the full sized version when exported to web. And that making those adjustments at the native resolution of the web host (in this case 1280 pixels wide) gives the best result. It's best if you have Photoshop to make these adjustments as a 'smart object' as this allows various combinations of the two effects to be tried out before 'flattening' the final finished re sized version . Oh, and the native resolution is 2048 pixels wide for facebook and something similar for flickr.

Andrew
EXCELLENT JOB. I don't quite understand how you did it, but it is magnificent!
06-10-2015, 10:34 AM - 6 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

As a PNW native, let me show you what this scene really looks like.....
Attached Images

06-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
Haha! I thought it was just us west highlanders that had our views rendered that way
06-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #12

Andrew
thanks for the details, for instance I only have Lightroom, I didn't yet make the step to photoshop. I will try to do as much as I can with LR and see the results
06-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
You guys pick on the Pacific Northwest way too much. I spent March-September 2013 in Nooksack, WA just 10 miles from Canada and it was some of the best weather I have seen. It drizzled at night and early am. Then it usually cleared up for the rest of the day. Highest temp was 85F with snow covered mountains all around. True though "if it does not move, moss will grow on it".
06-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just a quickie done entirely in rawtherapee (for a change) on my office computer/monitor because i didn't want to wait until I get home tonight to test the latest beta build of rawtherapee...

edit: 2nd pass... was trying to give it a little more city sparkle

Last edited by todd; 06-12-2015 at 01:24 PM.
06-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
You guys pick on the Pacific Northwest way too much. I spent March-September 2013 in Nooksack, WA just 10 miles from Canada and it was some of the best weather I have seen. It drizzled at night and early am. Then it usually cleared up for the rest of the day. Highest temp was 85F with snow covered mountains all around. True though "if it does not move, moss will grow on it".

Oh, I'll be the first to admit that summer up there can be wonderful. And there are many wonderful things that I really do miss. A quick drive from just about anywhere and you can find yourself in the mountains, in the rainforest, in the eastern wine country, at the ocean, or even an whole other country. And unlike Phoenix, you can actually go out in the summer without melting! It's just that, well..... most of the time it's just gray. You don't realize how gray until you've spent considerable time away - come back, and say "hey - what happened to the sunshine?? - Oh... um, yeah... "

Haha... on top of that (for those in the know) I'm from Puyallup. That should explain everything :P