Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 209 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 03:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Single in September 2015

Welcome everyone to the Single in September 2015 Challenge

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/102-monthly-photo-challenges/711-faq.html

Video below was created by patjp

Theme days:

Saturday 5th September: Architecture
Saturday 12th September: Texture
Saturday 19th September: B&W
Monday 21st September: B/Selfies for Sara
Saturday 26th September: Light (a photo where something about the light is the point. There are many possibilities in interpretation and execution, I think it'll be really interesting to see what people do with it.)

Last edited by Tsuken; 08-31-2015 at 07:23 PM.
08-23-2015, 04:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got nuthin'
They've all been done before, so I'm open to suggestions. Check my sig for options.
08-23-2015, 05:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I got nuthin'
They've all been done before, so I'm open to suggestions. Check my sig for options.
One of the PKs on the Q?

I'm still stuck on what to pick this month. I've got a Petri 28mm F2 that I haven't done much with, but I'd like to try something wider for the crop sensor. I'm just not sure what <28mm lenses I can get for less than $100.
08-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

September already? Time is flying by!
Last winter, I bought three Pro-Master Lenses along with three film bodies (1 K-1000, and 2 ME-s) for less that $200.
I have not used any of them, so I'll probably try out the Promaster 24-70 for September.

08-23-2015, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could we have a theme day like:
Groups (people or objects)
Architecture
Food
Sky

You guys have a longer history with this. Do those themes seem too limiting?

---------- Post added 08-23-15 at 09:55 AM ----------

As far as lenses go, I have no idea. I might just grab a for sale lens from my current list and do a month with it.

F 35-135?
A 50 1.4?
DA 50-200
DA 55-300
I'm not brave enough to try a month with a 500mm Takumar SMC 4.5, besides I had a friend offer to buy it. (Oh look another moon picture...)
08-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sandy said that the DA21 isn't as sharp as it could be so I will probably use that on my K3 and carry the K-S1 with the 100WR just in case. So much for having a light kit...

On second thoughts maybe S1 with DA70, that's always lurking in the bag anyway.

Anyone wanna buy or trade for my 40XS or my non-wr 55-300?
08-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I got nuthin'...
Guess it's time to buy another lens!

08-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

DA*55

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
I'm still stuck on what to pick this month. I've got a Petri 28mm F2 that I haven't done much with, but I'd like to try something wider for the crop sensor. I'm just not sure what <28mm lenses I can get for less than $100.
Well, I'm interested to see what this Petri f/2 is capable in your hands.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
F 35-135?
This^

And about my lens, it will most probably be the DA16-50 as I mentioned before. it's sitting there calling me everyday.
08-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
Sandy said that the DA21 isn't as sharp as it could be so I will probably use that on my K3 and carry the K-S1 with the 100WR just in case. So much for having a light kit...

On second thoughts maybe S1 with DA70, that's always lurking in the bag anyway.

Anyone wanna buy or trade for my 40XS or my non-wr 55-300?

I'v sent to you a PM.

September already! I have thinking of having fun with my FA 35/2 for a month.
08-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote

I'v sent to you a PM.

September already! I have thinking of having fun with my FA 35/2 for a month.
I enjoyed the month with my DA 35 f/2.4 which is optically very similar from what I understand. It's a versatile focal length and f/2 is a nice speed to have if you need it.
08-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I enjoyed the month with my DA 35 f/2.4 which is optically very similar from what I understand. It's a versatile focal length and f/2 is a nice speed to have if you need it.
Let's see.
08-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not sure which lens but I'll play another month. Thinking the newest lens in my arsenal, the original 18-55. It came with my storm trooper.
I have the version ll of this lens. They say the original isn't as sharp. So I thought I'd test it on a SIC.

UV, I don't do architecture or groups of people.
The rest are good though. I can do food, cause sometimes I can't get outside.
08-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've been stinking it up in August, so I'm not going to be "in" for September. I think I might do something super weird for my own personal September challenge and just take cell phone pics or something... We'll see how it all works out... Some kinda spiritual journey. ^_^ Have fun, guys! I'll be watching my Flickr photo stream for what you all come up with. :-)
08-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

open to suggestions
Saw you mention FA43 for night shots somewhere, so yeah...

A 50 1.4?
If you haven't SIC'd with it before, then it would be my pick for sure....

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
or something
Yes! Like a change of mind and jumping in last minute with a lens and just playing when you can...

I am in. The logical and likely un-SIC'd lens choice for me is A 70-210, since July was A 28 and Aug was/is A 50/1.4... Not really in the mood for that focal range (or lens size/weight), but that's not necessarily necessary.

The only other of my un-SIC'd lenses that has a remote chance is the F 35-80 (f4-5.6) that I got for free last year (because it was unknowingly attached to a film body I purchased on ebay... Wasn't a good sign about the quality of this lens hahaha). It might be asking for too much punishment so I am going to take it for a test spin before I make my final decision...

Either of these lenses will have me raring to go for 'DA 15 October'. Is that still happening?

Last edited by todd; 08-23-2015 at 03:15 PM.
08-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in for DA 15 October.