Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Challenge # 161 - Yellowstone Nat'l Park

My 16 year old son visited Yellowstone National Park this summer with his grandparents. I let him take my KX and kit lenses. One of the Canikon Pros (Someone who owned a big lens, therefore he thought they were a pro) suggested he shoot in burst mode so he wouldn't miss any action. Needless to say there were a few duplicates to cull from his captures.

Here is one I thought provides a few cropping options and has "plenty of room" to process as you please.

This challenge will close on 14 Oct 2015 at 4 PM EDST.

MediaFire Links
Full Size JPEG File Link.
Pef File Link

Information for the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: pentaxchallenge@yahoo.com
The password is: postprocessing
Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge to help the next winner

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Tim

10-07-2015, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The abundant negative space on the top and bottom of picture lends itself to a panoramic aspect ratio. Slight color, tone and sharpening adjustments in LR from pef file.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-07-2015, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cropped to a more intimate landscape, and using a lightroom preset with some other tweaking to look a little like an old postcard, not the painterly kind.
Name:  Challenge 161.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  188.0 KB
10-07-2015, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll give it a go:

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-08-2015, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Two different takes:

10-08-2015, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Wish I were there.

My first take is the most natural to me.
The second is a Duotone.
The third is somewhat brighter.
And number 4 is Old Fogged Film.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo   

Last edited by Rimfiredude; 10-13-2015 at 09:57 AM.
10-08-2015, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Here's another try. Adjustments are crop, sepia, vignette, and "time machine". Using Corel PSP X7 Ultimate. Wanted to go for the old-timey look.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by GlennG; 10-08-2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Wanted to add clarification
10-08-2015, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
This is a painting!

Done entirely in Lightroom with just abuse of the highlight, shadows, whites, blacks, clarity, sharpening and noise reduction.

Here is a small 100% crop, because the effect really needs a 100% crop to be clearly visible

Name:  20150729-Challenge-161.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  152.2 KB

Last edited by discharged; 10-08-2015 at 01:41 PM.
10-08-2015, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #9

There is always a question of how much to change the sky, sharpen, etc. before the photo is no longer representative of what the eye sees. Hopefully, I nailed it giving the 16 year-old what he was hoping for when shooting this photo. To extend the dynamic range a bit I forgo the sliders and processed the photo several times at different exposures, and then combined them. It is similar to taking several shots at different exposures. Sometimes it works much better than using the standard four sliders.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by quant2325; 10-08-2015 at 06:51 PM.
10-08-2015, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-08-2015, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

10-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
There is always a question of how much to change the sky, sharpen, etc. before the photo is no longer representative of what the eye sees.
I like your versions here, probably the second more than the first.

I copied your quote because I wanted to know how you answer the question, routinely.

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is one I thought provides a few cropping options and has "plenty of room" to process as you please.

This is a fine photo, and thanks for sharing for this challenge. I went to Yellowstone in 2009 and returned with very few buffalo photos, and they were not nearly as good as this one.
10-09-2015, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
There is always a question of how much to change the sky, sharpen, etc. before the photo is no longer representative of what the eye sees.
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I like your versions here, probably the second more than the first.

I copied your quote because I wanted to know how you answer the question, routinely.
I will offer my own answer to this, totally unasked and without shame... From my point of view, why does the photo have to represent what the eyes saw? Why not how it felt, as in what emotions did it trigger in the photographer. Or perhaps what did the photographer think? Or what does the photographer want to convey? Narrowing it down to just eyes makes it a dull world, allow your other senses to go through the same sensation as the photographer did aswell!
10-10-2015, 12:15 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

This image, to me, has that old-timey look of a postcard-format picture. The postcard format was an early roll format with post-card sized negatives. The photo lab would then print the negatives directly onto postcard paper with a contact print. Most postcard format cameras had simple lenses but the results were fine given that there was no enlargement needed.

Amazingly, not only did this image look like it came from a post card, but if you turn the image over, there's an old hand-written postcard on the back!

As for how I did it, I used three texture layers with different transparencies and blending modes over the image (which I edited in raw to be black and white, high-contrast, and overly sharp) to create the worn-print look. Then I found an 1800s postcard with canceled stamp scan and used that as the postcard. I copied the aged-look layers and reversed them (horizontally) and reduced the transparency to give a mirror image to the wear pattern on the back. I did the same with the image -- reversing it horizontally -- so that a hint of the image showing through the paper (as was the case with the old postcard prints if they were held up to the light) is visible. Then I used an online handwriting script generator to create the text. I had to print screen it and remove all the white background and then resize it to be the same size based on location in the note. For the address, I grabbed an address of an 1800s postcard (addressed back then had different required information and address formatting), modified it slightly, and used that for an authentic feel.
10-10-2015, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll play
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo