Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

New on board

Just call me the Treeman, happy to join, looks like a very enjoyable and informative site. Just purchased a Pentax K-5II and still learning all the bells and whistles, have and still own other cameras but looking forward to learning more about lenses and what others have to say.

treeman

09-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the Forums
09-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. Post some pics and someone will be sure to have something to say!
09-23-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that you find here.

09-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard.
09-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Ter-or, I am new as of yesterday, known as treeman. My problem is trying to navigate this site. I went to post on the forum and it said register, which I did, then I was told treeman was already used. Cannot seem to get help anywhere on this site. I am very interested in being able to use it because I just purchased a new Pentax K-5 ii and would find this site very informative, that is if I can some how able to use it. Any help would certainly be much appreciated. Thank you
treeman
09-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by treeman Quote
Ter-or, I am new as of yesterday, known as treeman. My problem is trying to navigate this site. I went to post on the forum and it said register, which I did, then I was told treeman was already used. Cannot seem to get help anywhere on this site. I am very interested in being able to use it because I just purchased a new Pentax K-5 ii and would find this site very informative, that is if I can some how able to use it. Any help would certainly be much appreciated. Thank you
treeman
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. You are registered as treeman and obviously are able to to post as you started this thread. If you need further help with the site, please feel free to post your questions in the Site Suggestions and Help forum.
If you have questions about your K-5, I suggest posting them in either the K-5 forum or the Pentax Beginners' corner.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-23-2014 at 08:13 AM.
09-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, you're posting as Treeman, so it looks like it's yours.

The Beginner's area is a good place to just browse through posts.
Pentax Beginner's Corner Q&A - PentaxForums.com

The K-5 specific forum is just that. The K5II series has the same controls, so you'll get the idea.
Pentax K-5 - PentaxForums.com

Take your time and get familiar with the controls. The manual's not bad for that. The Magic Lantern guide for K7 is worth picking up. It has the same controls as the K5, 90% of the K5 is identical to the K7 - as far as controls go.

Are you a beginner to DSLRs or just to Pentax?
Here's how I use the K5 most of the time - hand-held, in the field, no flash. TAv mode, set your aperture via rear wheel to somewhere in the middle, like f8. Adjust your shutter speed via the front wheel to keep your ISO at a good range - below 6400 if you can. Below 800 is even better if you can manage it. Take images and see what you get to start getting a feel for how the camera is used. I prefer center focus point and spot metering or center-weighted metering for most uses. This is because I'm usually photographing a specific subject rather than a landscape.
09-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, treeman ... Hope to see a K-5II image soon. Salut, J
09-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Thank you! Maybe you could answer a question for me. I just purchased a Pentax K-5 ii and love the camera. The thing I am confused about is when I am framing a shot I have to do it all through the view finder. The only time I see a photo in the monitor is after I take the shot or review the photos I have already taken. Is there a setting or button I am missing or is that the only way to frame the original shot. Thanks again
treeman
09-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by treeman Quote
Is there a setting or button I am missing or is that the only way to frame the original shot.
Yes, there is a way to frame your shot in the LCD. It's called Live View. Here's how:

Last edited by Parallax; 04-17-2020 at 11:18 AM.