Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

Aloha

Aloha All
My Name is Timothy
Life Artist... photography is one of many disciplines
my first real photography experience was when i stole(borrowed) my brothers Pentax K1000 and ran off to Mexico for the winter back in the early 90's
completely self taught after that i moved over to Nikon and was not pleased with digital had to offer so i walked away for a few years till i bought my first point and shoot
the Olympus C8080 with 8mp fixed 28-140mm F.2.4-3.5 took some really nice photos and gave me faith to step back into the Digital realm. fast forward to 2011 and the Nikon D5100
it was quite exciting for what i got for the money way back then...and i learned to take a few decent photo's along the way.

THIS IS NOT A FISHING POST OR FLAME WAR

ready to Upgrade...

im ready to get more serious and i am seriously torn, part with my Nikon DX system and lenses and go K-3 with all the goodies SPEED and decent sensor (sorry Nikon in camera software gives sharper resolution on Sony 24mp sensor) or stay Nikon and Upgrade to D610 or D7100
what kind of photography do i do???
well i am a Adventure & Sports Photographer in the most extreme of weather: Water spouts- High Surf- Long Exposure Night Time- Travel to Lands End in Below Zero weather-lets climb a volcano or Hike for freshies under a full moon sports Junky...these are the things i do and i take photos of my fellow adventurers!
Fully dedicated and now old enough to have patience to use my evolving Disciplines to make others stoked and maybe make enough $ so my travels and equipment are paid for (so the wife forgives me) Ready to Jump Ship
if i had 20 K the 645Z would be a dream!

K-3 is affordable...
who can make the sale???
and yes my next body will be going into a dedicated water housing

some of my work on FB...

https://www.facebook.com/Timothy.Driscoll.01010/photos_albums

Aloha Timothy

10-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

Hello Timothy and welcome to the forums. Quite an introduction and what a way to start into photography!

Most folks here use (or used) Pentax, obviously, and you might well encounter some bias of a sorts. But as far as I can tell you should find good information here, even if you sway to another system that more suits your needs. One has to use what fits best, there's not much sense talking you into something that doesn't.

I greatly enjoy my K-3 and am very pleased with its performance (recently upgraded from my 7 year old K10D sibling made by Samsung). But my photography experience isn't big enough to give you any advice, not by far and certainly not for other brands. I'm sure others will be able to do that. One thing that speaks for Pentax is the weather resistance, which you likely already know about. It's not water proof, so may not go to the extremes you do, but it certainly should help.

Good luck with your research and enjoy your stay on the boards.
10-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Mahalo Undot!

i have had a great run with Nikon...i think third party lenses have come a very long way and will help take advantage of the K-3s sensor
a few questions
[1] does K-3 allow fine tune focus adjustment like other upper end DSLRs?
[2] Does K-3 Allow copious headroom of sharpening/saturation/contrast in menu for customizable picture? (my D5100 allows for setting custom picture shooting- i can boost sharpening/saturation on a grid for a custom look to the way i shoot and of course saved as a useable preference)
[3] How fast Does the K-3 Buffer Fill shooting DNG Files?
[4] Does K-3 have Crop Mode?
thanks for your time T
those are my very few concerns
10-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #4

I don't use any post processing in-camera, only know it's there. So I can't answer [2] or [4].

[1] You can add focus adjustments for up to 20 different lenses. But for lenses the camera doesn't recognize (like manual ones) you can only add one global adjustment. I haven't used this option yet, though.

[3] I found continuous shooting pretty good but, as mentioned, I only have a rather old camera for comparison and never measured it. But that question was answered in a recent article about the different shooting modes: Pentax DSLR Shooting Modes Explained - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Just the bit that talk about speed, where you get 3 to pick from. It all depends on the type of memory card you use:
QuoteQuote:
High
This mode fires the shutter at 8.3 frames per second (fps). With a 95 mps card, expect about 4.3 seconds worth of images before buffer overrun. With a 45 mps card, expect about 2.5 seconds.
Medium
Medium works in the same manner as high speed but at a lower (around five fps) frame rate. This increases the amount of buffer time you have. With a 95 mps card, expect upwards of 20 seconds before the write speed slows. With a 45 mps card, around 10-12 seconds.
Low
Low works, again, like high and medium frame rates but at around three fps. With a 95 mps card, expect to shoot continuously until the memory card is full. With a 45 mps card, expect at least 30 seconds of continuous shooting.
Hmm, it doesn't specifically say if that's for RAW images.

Hope this helps.

/edit: I just checked, you can crop images with the camera post processing options. Still don't know how well it does any other adjustments or if you can store presets.

---------- Post added 23-10-14 at 23:15 ----------

Off topic, but going by your name you might enjoy this.

I live in Munich, Germany and my colleague is absolutely in love and addicted to surfing. Even took his whole family to Hawaii once and it must have been a wondrous experience!

Lucky for him we have a river wave right in the middle of downtown (at the "Eisbach - ice stream") and a tamer one not far away. If you never heard of it, here's a trailer of a documentary about it (German, sorry):
Very different than being on the ocean, of course, but the water does pack quite a punch and I heard it schooled a few pros, too.

Last edited by Undot; 10-23-2014 at 02:19 PM.
10-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks Undot again for the Beta really didnt expect this much silence...should i repost this under another Topic?
aloha
10-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Krusty Surfer Quote
Aloha
Welcome, as soon as you see that word you know they're from somewhere exotic.

10-25-2014, 01:59 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Krusty Surfer Quote
thanks Undot again for the Beta really didnt expect this much silence...should i repost this under another Topic?
aloha
Am a bit surprised myself. But not everyone browses the welcome forum. You could try the one for beginner questions or the K-3 specific one. Or browse the latter, there's lots of discussion about the camera's ability and worth.

10-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Timothy ... Hope to see some more images soon! Salut, J
11-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
im so Happy!
My K-3 takes awesome pics better than a D7100!
i know because i did a personal side by side comparison at Norman Camera today....thanks everyone...guess im home
Aloha
11-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to work part time in a camera shop. Started out with Nikon in the 70s. Someone walked in one day wanting to sell a Pentax Spotmatic and whole bunch of lenses. I bought the outfit, sold my Nikon stuff and never looked back. Still shooting Pentax K5 today and love it.