Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 02:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Joining the Pentax crowd soon

I've been doing the best I can with point and shoot cameras for years now, and recently decided to get into DSLR photography.

About 2 months ago I picked up a used Canon Rebel XS, and it's been good for me to get started, but shortly after I found out about the Pentax K-50.

I had heard about Pentax, but hadn't even considered them when originally searching because I had the average consumer mentality that they weren't a Canon or Nikon so they probably aren't worth it. Shortly after getting my Canon though I started coming upon Pentax reviews. Especially concerning the K-50. And I felt stupid I had passed up on them for their name alone.

I decided to start saving up a bit of extra cash so I could buy a K-50. I figured I would use the Canon until I get a K-50, then sell it for lens money.

My biggest question is consistently, where to buy it from?

I've found a few Amazon places that are around $399 or so for a K-50 with lens kit, and the lowest local price I found is from a certified retailer with the same kit for $499, but they also include $350 in free photography classes with purchase of a new camera. Being new to DSLR photography this does appeal to me.

I've also heard rumors that if I just buy the camera off Amazon there's always the chance I get a refurbished, instead of new, camera. As well as a chance that Pentax won't help in case something goes wrong, since Amazon isn't an approved retailer. (Or things along the lines of that)

I am actually really excited to get the camera, and will get it no matter what. I have the money, but am also waiting until the end of the month, since I decided I'd get it as a birthday present to myself. I just want to know what dangers there are of getting an Amazon or eBay "new" camera, or if I really should just get it from the local camera shop, since I'll have someone close by I can go to, if needed.

05-05-2015, 05:55 AM   #2

Here you go:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/438758/K-50_160_Megapixel_Digital_SLR_wit...ash_Bundle_Kit

And an advanced Welcome! Once you go Pentax, you don't go backs!
05-05-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, have you tried B&H to see what kind of deals they have got going on.
05-05-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

Always call B&H and Adorama - tell them the guys at the Pentax Forum told you to call for a price check. Sometimes they can sell for less than they can list.

05-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another thing that confuses me. Colored rings. I've seen no color, silver, gold, red, green. I figured no ring is just standard lenses. Green and red might be HD coating? And no idea what silver or gold would be.
05-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Red is the new HD coating. Green was the previous coating.

There's an article here somewhere explaining the colors...gold is the higher-end Star-series zoom lenses, IIRC.
05-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So frustrated! XD Was going to pick up my camera today finally! Really excited! Got all ready! Wooooh!

Wait... where are my keys?

Turns out I left them in my jacket, which I left in my wife's car over the weekend. She went to work this morning, and won't be back until right before I have to go to work today, so I have to wait a whole other day before I can get my new K-50! Arrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

Monday is just being a Monday I guess.

Also, found someone who is selling a basically new SMC Pentax DA 50mm F/1.8 lens a few miles from me for only $100. I'm eager to pick that up, but I want to get my camera first so I can test it out before I buy it.

05-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyCorPhotography Quote
so I have to wait a whole other day before I can get my new K-50
Absence makes the heart grow fonder... or so they say.
05-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yessss! My wife got home with enough time for me to pick up my camera! I'm almost tempted to call in to work so I can mess around with it, but bills also need to get paid, so I'll have to wait 8 hours until I can enjoy myself. Haha.

Man, I'm excited.