Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

Hello All

Hi, I'm Shenan, and have just registered on the forum. I'm looking to get back into photography again after many years, and decided to look into Pentax cameras on a whim, since I don't hear or see much about them. I was glad to find out that they are competitive and even offer several advantages over equivalent models from the other major brands! This was great to see, since Pentax is the brand that I learned film photography on (K1000 - I've only shot with Canon P&S and very briefly with Panasonic mirrorless otherwise), so I will at least have some warm fuzzy feeling of familiarity/tradition to look forward to.

I will be asking a question about which model to buy right away. See you around on the other forums!

Shenan

08-27-2015, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the clubhouse!

If you're a technical photographer, Pentax gives you the controls at your fingertips. They have done a great job with ergonomics.
08-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, TER-OR! I don't think I can classify myself as any particular type of photographer yet, but I always like to have options, and have heard great things about the Pentax cameras in terms of not only configurability and ergonomics, but also ease of use.

---------- Post added 08-27-15 at 01:01 PM ----------

I was going to post a separate thread with my question about which camera to get, but I figure I'll start here:

My question is what combination of body and zoom lens would you recommend for somewhere around $600? I think I've pretty much settled on the 18-135 kit lens (unless I hear some compelling arguments otherwise), but there seem to be a couple of great options for bodies:

New K-50 (w/ 18-135 lens kit for $615-$630)
Used K-5 II (w/ 18-135 lens kit for $610)

What I've read so far seems to indicate that the used K-5 II would be a better choice; am I mistaken? Is there any other possibility that I've missed?

Thanks in advance!

Shenan
08-27-2015, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biggest difference you'll get with the K5II is the top LCD panel which gives you a bunch of information without having to look through the viewfinder. I use it all the time to confirm settings etc. in the bright sun. The K50 has an improved autofocus, I think, over the K5II but in practical terms that may not make much difference.

The 18-135 is a nice zoom. The motor makes it quite fast and silent.

And if you fondly remember manual shooting back in the day, you're fairly technical. Old manual lenses are not hard to find, and fun to play with.

08-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks again, Ter-or.

That's interesting about the autofocus - I guess they keep letting better features trickle down to the entry models as newer top models come along. The other significant/practical difference that I noticed is that the K-5 II battery seems to last almost twice as long, which is pretty nice.

I see what you mean now. I suppose I'm somewhat technical, but I do have a lot to learn and catch-up on. It should be fun!
08-27-2015, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K5 series lithium battery is a real brute, it lasts a long time. That said, get a spare. Not being able to swap AA batteries is limiting. And batteries don't work great in the cold, if that matters to you. I keep one in an interior coat pocket in the winter so I can swap them.
08-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Terry (I just noticed your real name), I will definitely keep that in mind for the future. Since I'm in Southern California (not much cold here) and just getting started, some other things may end up taking priority, like a nice protective filter for the lens, camera bag, perhaps a remote, a more lightweight tripod with a photo-oriented head, etc. I'm working with a small budget, so it may take a while.

08-28-2015, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Craigslist is your friend! You will often find older tripods etc. for cheap there. You'll also find ridiculously overpriced used camera bodies...
Gear like bags etc. are always for sale, often unused.

Check out the MaxStone if you use a smartphone. it's a bluetooth trigger and other things.
MaxStone Wireless Camera Remote (White) MSA210001 B&H Photo
08-28-2015, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shenan Quote
have some warm fuzzy feeling
Welcome, I usually get that after a few drams...
08-28-2015, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
welcome, I too started on the k1000 and came back after a long break. I have the k3, seems to be a huge learning curve from the nikon d200 I had but I have to say I do like the feel, and layout much better. I do like using my old k1000 lens on the k3, its very fun!
08-29-2015, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF !!!
08-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks Terry, I will check that out.

Thanks Kerrowdown, who doesn't?

Thanks Murfy, I expect the learning curve to be large.

Bonjour and merci, Jean Poitiers.