Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

I'm hooked and it's YOUR fault.

Hello, altogether!

I already registered some months ago but never got around posting an introduction, so here it is:

I've been a long time lurker ever since I got my K-5 in 2012. That's when I grew tired of my Nikon P&S not being able to autofocus properly (or at all) at macro distances. So I decided to get serious and buy a "real" camera that let me make the decisions, as I can't stand technology guesstimating what I'd like to do (same reason for Linux being my OS of choice). "Buy cheap = buy twice", my Dad always said about buying tools, so getting an "entry level" camera was out of question. I thought I'd best go with one of the big 2, but after some research it became very clear that the K-5 offered the best bang for the buck. I knew it would feel good in my hands, since I had handled the K-10D of a friend before (the CaNikon bodies I tried in the shop: not so much), so I ordered one online and never looked back. I started looking for a macro lens, and it's your fault that only one month after getting the camera I bought a D-FA 100mm WR. I absolutely love this lens, and even though I'm not doing that much macro anymore, it's almost always in my bag when I go out on a walkaround. I've acquired a bunch of other lenses since then, the most recent being the fabulous FA 31, which won against a tough competition of several 35's at least in part because of all the love you guys have expressed for it here.

Thanks for that!

10-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Le Chuck Quote
Welcome to the forum, when it comes to blame... you've gotta admit we're all pretty good, you wouldn't want to hang with a bunch of losers would you? so your here with the best.
10-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello, altogether!

I already registered some months ago but never got around posting an introduction, so here it is:

I've been a long time lurker ever since I got my K-5 in 2012. That's when I grew tired of my Nikon P&S not being able to autofocus properly (or at all) at macro distances. So I decided to get serious and buy a "real" camera that let me make the decisions, as I can't stand technology guesstimating what I'd like to do (same reason for Linux being my OS of choice). "Buy cheap = buy twice", my Dad always said about buying tools, so getting an "entry level" camera was out of question. I thought I'd best go with one of the big 2, but after some research it became very clear that the K-5 offered the best bang for the buck. I knew it would feel good in my hands, since I had handled the K-10D of a friend before (the CaNikon bodies I tried in the shop: not so much), so I ordered one online and never looked back. I started looking for a macro lens, and it's your fault that only one month after getting the camera I bought a D-FA 100mm WR. I absolutely love this lens, and even though I'm not doing that much macro anymore, it's almost always in my bag when I go out on a walkaround. I've acquired a bunch of other lenses since then, the most recent being the fabulous FA 31, which won against a tough competition of several 35's at least in part because of all the love you guys have expressed for it here.

Thanks for that!
Glad you love all your Pentax gear!
Have fun shooting.
Sounds like this forum pushed you into the depths of LBA. :-)
10-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow you are spoiled, if the DFA100 and FA31 are among your early choices. At least you won't need to step up from there!
Welcome, and glad we've ruined you properly

10-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I regret nothing!
10-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Wow you are spoiled, if the DFA100 and FA31 are among your early choices. At least you won't need to step up from there!
Welcome, and glad we've ruined you properly
Maybe I should elaborate on that: There were 3 years and several other lenses between the two. The DFA 100 probably is an unusual choice for your first lens to buy, but macro was the main reason for me getting a DSLR in the first place, so …

Next thing I got was a used DA 50-200 which I later replaced with the WR version because I got a good deal on it. I also experimented with an all-manual Yashinon DS 50/1.9 I got from my grandpa with his Yashica TL Electro (not working, unfortunately). Also tried a A 28mm F2.8 but never really warmed up to it. When a friend moved to Canon for FF, he wanted a good home for his 16-50 and made me an offer I just couldn't resist. I was extremely lucky again when I went home from a flea market with 2 Spotmatic bodies with a 50mm F1.4 SMC Takumar attached to each of them. I was able to make one of them work again, shot a few rolls of film and realized how much I liked the idea of a small, fast normal prime. I tried the 28 again on the K-5 but it just wasn't the same. So I argued long and thoroughly with myself about all the options from the plastic fantastic 35 to the Sigma Art 35 and all their pros and cons. Couldn't decide and bought none of them only to start mulling over it again and again. Still not sure how I finally ended up buying something as expensive as the 31, can't really have been a rational decision I've had it for about half a year now and I couldn't be happier (well, quick-shift would be nice sometimes).

But all the lenses in the world can't make up for a shitty photographer – still need to work on that part, but at least it seems I'm making some progress