Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

Hello from Germany, maybe you guys can help me decide :)

Hey there,

my name is Daniel, I’m from Germany and I’m really close to get a Pentax DSLR question is: which one - but maybe you can help me make a decision

I purchased and used a 40D 4 years ago and used it for a good 2-3 years. But then I sold the Canon plus 17-40/4, 50/1.8 and Tamron 17-50/2.8, because when travelling and being around I was constantly in fear of breaking or losing it, get it stolen or something else happening to it. I could not just take pictures and enjoy the moment with that things in mind. I then told myself I would be happy with the photos my iPhone takes (and these are good, but not good enough). Just a few days ago I won some Amazon-Giftcards and decided to invest in a more quality approach to my photos again, but I dont want to be afraid of the hardware all the time.

Neither compact cameras nor my iphone can capture moments and memories in the way I want. What I want is simply capturing them the best way I can with the money I'm willing to spend! So I started looking for cheap second-hand EVILs that match my expectations. Soon I found, that in the pricerange I am looking there are reasonable DSLRs too. I'm aware what it means to carry a DSLR + 2 lenses and maybe a tripod/flash. But I'm also aware that my demands in setting things up, taking the picture and processing it afterwards won't be met with other types of cams in this particular price range or just be as good.

So here are the things I'm currently looking for:
  • lowlight-performance
  • dynamic range
  • ’good’ AF
  • fast, affordable prime at around 50mm-equivalent

Budget for both - body+lense - is around 350-400€. I know I cannot expect highend-performance, but again: I’m willing to get the best performance for the money I spend! Here are the Cameras I can choose from on Amazon.de:
  • K-5 + 35/2.4 440€
  • K-x + 35/2.4 300€
  • K20d + 35/2.4 350€

I think the K-5 gives all I want, except for the price The K-x gives low light and AF, but lacks functionality. One point I’m concerned about is the missing viewfinder-overlay for chosen Focuspoints. Maybe I’m a little bit spoiled by the 40D Thats why the K20D is still in the game, but this one lacks lowlight and AF-Performance… For now I do not want to change bodies again, so its not an option to get either and upgrade later! My planned lense-lineup will be the 35mm, 50mm/1.8, 70mm/2.4ltd. That will cover the most used focus lengths when having my 40D. If I get the K-5 I maybe will be considering the 18-105 WR for bad weather conditions… But first things first and I’m torn So is there anything you can add, which will help me decide?

If I wont mind money, I'll get the FZ1000. But of course theres the fear again of breaking a 700€ Camera If I drop one of the above DSLRs with one lense, its a loss of half that money - thats what I decided to accept! Dont get me wrong: I sure will be cautions, but I dont feel I have to be focused on that 100% of the time. Hope you understand my concerns

Best regards and greetings from Germany,
Daniel

10-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do not understand what your problem was with the Canon equipment you once had. You were afraid of breaking it but not of breaking a Pentax? You were afraid of someone stealing your Canon equipment but not of someone stealing your Pentax equipment?
10-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the criteria you've listed, the K5 + 35 f2.4 looks like the best choice. Are you determined to stay with single focal length lenses? If you could locate a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 second hand somewhere in Europe that would be a very good choice (try EBAY). There's one for sale in the MARKETPLACE here on PF at a very attractive price, but I think it's in the USA, and overseas mailing or shipping is prohibitively expensive.
10-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
It’s a little bit hard to explain. I was looking for a way to edit my post, but didn’t find any

It was probably a bit early to buy a DSLR for me. I spent like 1200EUR on the Canon including the lenses, didnt had the job I have now and didnt earn the money I do now. Today I want the possibilities I had again, so I’m getting back into the game with a little less expensive approach! Even with the K5-combo and the 70mm ltd I’ll stay under 1000EUR.

Hope that clears things out

---------- Post added 09-10-15 at 00:52 ----------

There is simply no edit-button shown in neither Safari nor Chrome Maybe a Mod can merge the doublepost and/or forgive me

I think I should’ve also stated, that I think the lowlight performance of the K20d is good enought for me. As far as I’m concerned it’s at least as good as the 40Ds, which was okay for me. I just don’t have any idea/experience in the actually perceptible performance of the K5.

As for the lenses: yes, I want to stick to primes! First it’s because I was using the prime on the canon the most, although it was a little bit to long. I just liked the photos I made with it. Secondly just for size and weight

10-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, have a look at the various camera reviews here on the forum, you may find them helpful.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/
10-08-2015, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

What about a K-50? Same vintage as the K-5, but a lower tier. You might also consider a K-7, which is the older version of the K-5.
10-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #7

Hallo Daniel, die K-50 würde ich Dir auch empfehlen, sie ist die modernste und hat momentan ein unglaublich gutes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis.

10-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

what about K-S1? it is ugly and weird but cheap and has latest tech...
e.g.http://www.fotoversand-afa.de/digitalkameras/pentaxkameras/pentaxdslrkameras...body-weiss.php + http://www.fotokoch.de/56855.html?redirect=56855&partnerid=10291 = 384 €
QuoteOriginally posted by chemnitzDaniel Quote
o here are the things I'm currently looking for: lowlight-performance dynamic range ’good’ AF fast, affordable prime at around 50mm-equivalent
and you have not mentioned ergonomics in your list...:-)

or i could make you a good deal for my used K-7 plus some A lenses or WR Kit lens 18-55, or a sigma 24-60 2.8? PM me if you are interested... (I'm in Switzerland)

Last edited by max_pyne; 10-09-2015 at 12:43 AM.
10-09-2015, 01:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
Guys thank you so much, but as for now, it's just a decision between the cameras I listed above, because I got amazon-giftcards and therefore be bound to the offers on Amazon.de!

K7 and K50 are as expensive as the K5, and I do prefer the 5 over these two!

I know the specs and I think every camera will meet my demands! It's just that I'm unsure and want to rely on real-life perceptible experiences of you guys, so it's easier for me to decide!

Right now I want the K5, but don't really know why I shouldn't just save money and take the K20. And I think the Kx is out of the game...
10-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/305498-k-50-vs-k-s1-vs-k-s2-2.html
10-09-2015, 02:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I would reconsider increasing the budget slightly. Promise yourself that you won't sell or upgrade your camera for 5 years. Really, there's no point doing so, just make a decision and stick with it. K3 is a great, no regrets camera. Therefore any money you spend now won't be wasted.

Then look at the bargains on K-3 going at the moment.
Pentax Price Watch - PentaxForums.com

Like this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/304034-k-3-649-w-fr...0mm-flash.html

Don't rule out the 18-135 lens kits. It's a very nice lens, better than it's long zoom range and aperture would suggest. Good enough for 90% of what I shoot. A great basic kit would be that lens for most situations and a 35 or 50 prime.
10-09-2015, 04:01 AM   #12

Original Poster
Please stop linking offers outside of Amazon.de or suggest body's that are much newer and therefore much more expensive!

What I had in mind when creating this thread was an introduction who I am and maybe a nice chat (like small talk) about those two cameras. Therefore the thread is in "introduction" and not in "seeking advice". ... I'm open and thankful for advice nevertheless Plus: if you got dirty little stories, full of prejudice and lacking any straight facts but they could be of any importance to my "problem" - feel free to share, I love reading stories

@calsan I do consider the zoom later, but for now I want to avoid zooms, cause I tend to take better pics when forced to walk around. Also I tend to think more with the zooms and be more intuitive with the primes basically I like primes more and therefore want it!
10-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chemnitzDaniel Quote
K5-combo and the 70mm ltd
this is the winner combo ! search no more ^^
10-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #14

Original Poster
And we got another player in the game, you already mentioned the K50

So basically its 400€ - "good as new" K50 vs 420€ - "good" K-5... Both retailers, so I'll get warranty and both should be technically fully functionable. Amazon says "good" is with sign of consistent usage, but how do you tell what the heck that means I still think I'll be missing the shoulder display on the K50... Dynamic range on the K-5 also slightly better

Urf...................
10-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't feel discouraged! You're going to get an awesome camera with any of these options.