Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hey hey from NY :D !

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Been taking photos for awhile now on my my cell phone for about the past year or so and finally decided to invest in a real camera and got a Pentax K-S2. Its been fun so far but now im deciding on what lens to buy next since I'm really into macro but the 50 mm kit lens doesn't really cut it for that.

09-25-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by inzova Quote
Hey hey from NY !
Hi inzova. Welcome to the Pentax forums and Pentax equipment. The K-S2 is quite a jump from a phone camera !!! Any help or advice you may need is only a question away. Good to have you here.
09-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!
09-26-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

09-26-2016, 03:13 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - great to have you with us

We've had a few members joining recently who have made the jump from smartphone to DSLR - it's nice to see that happening.

The K-S2 was an excellent choice. As for macro lenses...

I would recommend you consider the Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro. It is one of the most popular choices, and for good reason. It's not a cheap lens, but the price is actually very reasonable considering its performance - and you can find good used examples at reduced cost. Earlier versions are less expensive still (though none of them is cheap).

A lower-cost alternative to get you started would be a macro conversion lens such as the Raynox DCR-250, which clips onto the front of a non-macro lens. I've seen some excellent macro photos taken with this kind of setup. Cheaper still, you could try out some close-up "filters" (not strictly filters, but close-up lenses that screw into the filter thread of your lens). These are inferior to a proper macro lens, but can still provide very satisfying results

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-26-2016 at 08:58 AM.
09-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello and welcome to the forums - great to have you with us

We've had a few members joining recently who have made the jump from smartphone to DSLR - it's nice to see that happening.

The K-S2 was an excellent choice. As for macro lenses...

I would recommend you consider the Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro. It is one of the most popular choices, and for good reason. It's not a cheap lens, but the price is actually very reasonable considering its performance - and you can find good used examples at reduced cost. Earlier versions are less expensive still (though none of them is cheap).

A lower-cost alternative to get you started would be a macro conversion lens such as the Raynox DCR-250, which clips onto the front of a non-macro lens. I've seen some excellent macro photos taken with this kind of setup. Cheaper still, you could try out some close-focusing "filters" (not strictly filters, but close-up lenses that screw into the filter thread of your lens). These are inferior to a proper macro lens, but can still provide very satisfying results
Thanks for the advice I'm just starting to get the hang of my K-S2 and its a lot of fun ! especially being able to freeze moving subjects with higher shutter speeds. I'll look into that macro lens though I also read you can reverse mount a lens for macro shots and will probably try that as well.
09-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome.

Coupl'a suggestions:

- The Tamron SP AF 90/2.8 is an alternative to the Pentax 100 and often available at attractive prices both used and new.

Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

- Before investing $100's in a special purpose lens though, spend ~$20 on a set of four 'close-up filters' to fit your current lens thread size. They''ll allow you to explore the full range of close-up photography from a slight reduction in minimum focus distance to near 1:1 macro images (stack 'em) and be better prepared to understand the more expensive options available for you preferences. Pocket-sized, they'll be with you in the field for 'targets of opportunity' for years to come when a heavy bag full of special purpose lenses is left behind. A +2 and a +10 filter have been a part of my 'pocket-kit' for decades. E.g. :

close up filter | eBay

- Lens reversing may be a little too 'macro' and definitely limiting in it's utility as a starting option.

You'll find a tool-box full of information in the Articles sub-forum here:

Pentax Articles

and here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/88-macro-photography/

09-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Welcome.

Coupl'a suggestions:

- The Tamron SP AF 90/2.8 is an alternative to the Pentax 100 and often available at attractive prices both used and new.

Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

- Before investing $100's in a special purpose lens though, spend ~$20 on a set of four 'close-up filters' to fit your current lens thread size. They''ll allow you to explore the full range of close-up photography from a slight reduction in minimum focus distance to near 1:1 macro images (stack 'em) and be better prepared to understand the more expensive options available for you preferences. Pocket-sized, they'll be with you in the field for 'targets of opportunity' for years to come when a heavy bag full of special purpose lenses is left behind. A +2 and a +10 filter have been a part of my 'pocket-kit' for decades. E.g. :

close up filter | eBay

- Lens reversing may be a little too 'macro' and definitely limiting in it's utility as a starting option.

You'll find a tool-box full of information in the Articles sub-forum here:

Pentax Articles

and here

Macro Photography - PentaxForums.com
Thanks alot I think I am actually going to pick up a lens filter kit. You make a good point with how much more versatile they are.
10-02-2016, 01:17 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, please remember to post some images of your NY.
10-03-2016, 01:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, please remember to post some images of your NY.
Of course
10-03-2016, 02:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new K-S2.

If you want a general use lens that does great macro, the best option is the 35mm f/2.8 DA limited lens. It's pricey but one of the best lenses ever built.
10-03-2016, 03:54 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new K-S2.

If you want a general use lens that does great macro, the best option is the 35mm f/2.8 DA limited lens. It's pricey but one of the best lenses ever built.
That lens looks pretty sweet !