Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
possible enhancement for sample photo search engine

hi adam, in looking back at the evolution of the sample photo archive, and the issue of finding photos with either the K-1 or Full Frame pentax DSLRs in genera, I have a question.

would it be possible to modify the search engine to be able to search on a specific forum, or all forums as an option, and on only camera body and have a selection of ALL Lenses, or lens unknown,? In addition, under the photo display the thread title?

the idea would be to for example, search the archive for K-1 shots, and let the searcher then add filters for focal lengths to see what shots existed for MF lenses on the full frame bodies?

i am not sure what is or is not possible, but it just got me thinking. As i am maintaining the list of sample images, many of which are manual focus i never played with the search engine until tonight, but the discussion ongoing about the archive indexes got me thinking, so i played a little with the search engine

05-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
only camera body and have a selection of ALL Lenses, or lens unknown
This is already possible, if you select a camera but not a lens. You can then use the filters in the sidebar to select the M42 or no lens option, K or M lens, or A-series lens, or all 3. If you'd like, you can even link to the search results, i.e.:
PENTAX K-1 | Sample Photos for Pentax Cameras & Lenses - PentaxForums.com

You can further filter by focal length in the sidebar, and optionally link to those filtered results as well. The sharing link can be found just above the thumbnail grid. The only caveat is that the focal length is based on the user-selected SR setting, which may or may not always be correct.

At the moment the system does not index the forum in which the photo is found, though it does save the thread or gallery location (and provides a location to it). It wouldn't be hard to change the way this is displayed, but frankly I think that filtering by forums would just add unnecessary clutter to the search system.

Note that if you hover over the link below any thumbnail, you can see the title of the forum thread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Search Engine can return A lenses by K-1 and FL (if that was properly entered on the camera manually when mounting the lens), but apparently cannot distinguish maximum apertures, so for instance all 5 A50's will be returned in the array, including the Macro.

It cannot distinguish K lenses from M lenses, and all M42 lenses are grouped together with 'No Lens'. Filtering on a FL returns a large, non-specific group of photos for that FL.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-30-2016 at 07:43 PM.
05-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Search Engine can return A lenses by K-1 and FL (if that was properly entered on the camera manually when mounting the lens), but apparently cannot distinguish maximum apertures, so for instance all 5 A50's will be returned in the array, including the Macro.

It cannot distinguish K lenses from M lenses, and all M42 lenses are grouped together with 'No Lens'. Filtering on a FL returns a large, non-specific group of photos for that FL.
Hence the reason to search only the archive forum, and display thread title. That would identify lens and aperture

05-31-2016, 05:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is already possible, if you select a camera but not a lens. You can then use the filters in the sidebar to select the M42 or no lens option, K or M lens, or A-series lens, or all 3. If you'd like, you can even link to the search results, i.e.:
PENTAX K-1 | Sample Photos for Pentax Cameras & Lenses - PentaxForums.com

You can further filter by focal length in the sidebar, and optionally link to those filtered results as well. The sharing link can be found just above the thumbnail grid. The only caveat is that the focal length is based on the user-selected SR setting, which may or may not always be correct.

At the moment the system does not index the forum in which the photo is found, though it does save the thread or gallery location (and provides a location to it). It wouldn't be hard to change the way this is displayed, but frankly I think that filtering by forums would just add unnecessary clutter to the search system.

Note that if you hover over the link below any thumbnail, you can see the title of the forum thread.
Its funny, I tried selecting on any lens and K-1 and the side bars showed only statistics. I could not check on focal length like I could when I had selected a zoom lens., I also could not "hover" using a tablet. Maybe it is different on my desktop
05-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Its funny, I tried selecting on any lens and K-1 and the side bars showed only statistics. I could not check on focal length like I could when I had selected a zoom lens., I also could not "hover" using a tablet. Maybe it is different on my desktop
If there's only one possibility, the sidebar won't show anything. Similarly, it hides lenses with fewer than 2 or 3 photos, to reduce clutter.

Do you see the filters with the 24-70mm selected?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If there's only one possibility, the sidebar won't show anything. Similarly, it hides lenses with fewer than 2 or 3 photos, to reduce clutter.

Do you see the filters with the 24-70mm selected?
Nope. Get statistics not filter boxes with checks

Maybe it's my ipad

05-31-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Nope. Get statistics not filter boxes with checks

Maybe it's my ipad
Possibly, but what happens when you click on the red links?

Adam

06-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Possibly, but what happens when you click on the red links?
X ok red links work. Touch once to highlight second time to cancel. You can select more than 1 at a time