Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ability to view commentary attached to Likes

I like giving people "Likes" for their photos or for comments I agree with, and sometimes enter a short comment in the text box that pops up when giving said like. The problem is that only the past seven likes appear to be viewable on the user control panel.

Is there any chance that this could be fixed, so that the comments will be saved for longevity?

Cheers!
JCD

07-24-2016, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I like giving people "Likes" for their photos or for comments I agree with, and sometimes enter a short comment in the text box that pops up when giving said like. The problem is that only the past seven likes appear to be viewable on the user control panel.

Is there any chance that this could be fixed, so that the comments will be saved for longevity?

Cheers!
JCD
The likes comment feature is being phased out, so this isn't something that's planned. If you'd like a history of all your comments, shoot me a PM.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2016, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The likes comment feature is being phased out, so this isn't something that's planned.
I am curious as to why it is being phased out???

Personally, I am all in favor of eliminating it in hopes that it will force those Ugly Posters to actually get involved and post a reply comment once in a while instead of just "dragging & dropping" their own "masterpieces" that should stun and dazzle us, and then moving on with no regard for others.

Regards!
07-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am curious as to why it is being phased out???

Personally, I am all in favor of eliminating it in hopes that it will force those Ugly Posters to actually get involved and post a reply comment once in a while instead of just "dragging & dropping" their own "masterpieces" that should stun and dazzle us, and then moving on with no regard for others.

Regards!
Sounds like you've deduced the reason rather nicely

Plus, newer forum software doesn't allow for comments like that, so when we upgrade the feature will be gone.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
so when we upgrade the feature will be gone

'bout when do you expect the upgrade to happen?
07-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

'bout when do you expect the upgrade to happen?
I don't have a reliable estimate at this time, as it will be a very large undertaking given how much custom code we're running.

Adam

07-25-2016, 01:08 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If it's going to take a long time to do the upgrade, then give me some fair warning so I can double up on my valium.

08-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I don't have a reliable estimate at this time, as it will be a very large undertaking given how much custom code we're running.

So the wonderful PentaxForums I have come to know and love is going away?

Say it ain't so!
08-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So the wonderful PentaxForums I have come to know and love is going away?

Say it ain't so!
Well a major software update is inevitable, it's just a question of when. The improvement just has to be big enough to justify the migration.

Adam

08-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The likes comment feature is being phased out . . . .

Giving and receiving "Like" comments gives the Pentax Forums experience a personal touch which I really enjoy.
I think you understand that or you wouldn't have implemented that feature in the first place, Adam..?

Oh well. Thanks for the memories.

. . . If you'd like a history of all your comments, shoot me a PM.

PM sent.

(edit: Thank you, Adam. )

Last edited by .a.t.; 08-14-2016 at 11:53 PM.
09-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well a major software update is inevitable, it's just a question of when.
Any updates available? I'm also hoping the new software will eliminate the groups feature, which I hate because they're just threads that are harder to get to, and don't show updates very well. There, I said it. :-)
09-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Any updates available? I'm also hoping the new software will eliminate the groups feature, which I hate because they're just threads that are harder to get to, and don't show updates very well. There, I said it. :-)
It's not going to be a simple process because of the amount of custom scripts we're running. Ideally I'd like groups to be better integrated with the forum.

Adam

09-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ideally I'd like groups to be better integrated with the forum.
Me too.
09-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's sort of what I meant to say. They're really just subforums anyway... can't the content be ported over to the regular forums? It would be awesome if they had better visibility and if notifications would work the way they do for the rest of this site.
09-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

if notifications would work the way they do for the rest of this site.
If you turn that option on in your user control panel, you'll get notifications of the groups.

Although, mine are off because I found it more annoying than the regular forums notice.