Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #31

Hi Quicksand,

I finally gave a try to wine 1.5.16 and Lightroom 3.6 and I agree with you, the things have much improved and Lightroom 3.6 under wine seems usable. Now, the tools in the development area all work and there is no more graphic corruption. Lightroom seems a bit slow but perhaps it is also slow under Windows?

I also try and managed to run Lightroom 4.2 under wine 1.5.16, but there are a number of issues and it is not usable IMHO.

Here are some tips about installing Lightroom 3.x and 4.x under wine 1.5.16. This is for people who may not be familiar with this process and also to keep a trace of the procedure for further reference.
RB

*** SEE MY NEW TUTORIAL BELOW IN THE THREAD ***

Attached Files
File Type: zip lr-wine.zip (5.2 KB, 415 views)

Last edited by roland65; 11-16-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Added a trick about the import dialog
10-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Roland, thanks for the detailed writeup, once again.

I'm looking forward to trying LR 4.2. First I will load it into Ubuntu's packaged Wine version, just to see what happens, then I'll go ahead with your patchset. I probably won't get to this for a few days, though.

On my system, I don't think LR 3.X is that slow under Wine. It's quite usable, more than responsive enough, and actually better in a number of ways than running it in VMware. (Primarily, I think, because the Wine app gets to access the filesystem directly, while the VM access it through a virtualized network link to the host machine -- there's not enough room for my photos within the VM.)

I'm already using LR 4.2 in VMware, so I should be able to compare speeds directly.
10-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #33

OK, I'm interested in your results, of course...

I've add this to my previous message, in the Lightroom 3.x section :
"Note that for the import dialog to appear, you have to minimize and then maximize the Lightroom window."

Cheers,
RB

Last edited by roland65; 11-01-2012 at 04:30 AM.
11-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #34

New tutorial for running Lightroom 3.x or 4.x with Wine 1.5.17

Well, here are the instructions to run Lightroom 3.x and 4.x Lightroom under Wine 1.5.17.
**The old instructions and files are obsolete, don't use them!**

I assume here that you know how to compile Wine on a 32 bit Linux system (fairly simple) or 64 bits (a bit trickier). If you have a 64 bit Linux, you can always create a 32 bit chroot and install Wine in the chroot. Otherwise, you must install the 32 bit libraries (see below) and compile a 32 bit Wine.

For the compilation, you must first install the build dependencies of Wine for your system. Refer to this link to see which dependencies you need on your system: Recommended Packages - The Official Wine Wiki

If you are on a 64 bit Linux with a system based on Debian (Debian, Ubuntu or derivatives), you must also install the following packages: ia32-libs ia32-libs-dev lib32stdc++6 libc6-dev-i386 libc6-i386 gcc-multilib. No need to install dependencies for OpenGL or OpenCL or libgsm, and you can safely ignore the warnings about these packages when compiling Wine. Lightroom runs very well without it. If you have these packages, it will work, of course.

Here are the steps to follow, assuming that you have previously created a working directory and you're within it:

1. Download the following file: http://roland65.free.fr/lr-wine-1.5.17.tar.gz and unpack it. It contains the Wine patch and other useful files.

2. Download the sources of Wine 1.5.17 and apply the patch:
tar zxvf wine-1.5.17.tar.bz2
patch-p0 < patch-lr-for-wine-1.5.17.patch
cd wine-1.5.17
./configure --with-x --disable-tests
make
sudo make install

If you have a multicore processor, replace 'make' with 'make-j N' where N = number of cores, and it will greatly speed up the compilation. After installation, the Wine binaries will normally be located in /usr/local/bin.

3. Install the winetricks utility. For Debian and derivatives, simply do:
apt-get install winetricks

4. If you already have a ~/.wine directory, delete it or move it. Then do:
winecfg
and install gecko and mono as requested. In winecfg, set the screen resolution in the Display tab to 120 dpi for a 24 inch display or any other value you prefer. Then exit winecfg.

5. Install the following components using winetricks:
winetricks gdiplus comctl32 ie7 atmlib corefonts

6. Copy the two files comctl32.dll and sRGB Color Space Profile.icm from the lr-wine-1.5.17.tar.gz archive to the following places:
cp -f comctl32.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
cp "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm" ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/spool/drivers/color

7. *Only* if you install Lightroom 4.x:
winetricks vista

8. Install Lightroom, for example:
Lightroom_3_LS11_win_3_6.exe wine (for version 3.6)
Lightroom_4_LS11_win_4_2.exe wine (for version 4.2)

9. *Only* if you install Lightroom 4.x:
winetricks winxp

10. Launch Lightroom:
cd "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6" (for version 3.6)
cd "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.2" (for version 4.2)

That's all, or almost! Here are some final tips:

- At the first run of each module, there appears a greenish band on some elements of the interface. These are the user tips that don't work (you can see the tip dialogues that appear and disappear immediately). Just run each module once, then quit and relaunch Lightroom: the banners will no longer appear.
- With some window managers, the import dialog may not appear when you click on the Import button. What you have to do is to minimize the Lightroom window and then restore it, and the Import dialog should now appear. If you have this problem, you can try disabling compositing in your window manager and the problem will disappear.
- All modules seem to run, the interface is very fast and I've never had a crash. Of course, I could not test everything, but it looks very solid... Let me know the problems you encounter, if any.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything!
Enjoy...
RB

11-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I commend you on your efforts but I'll stick with my tried and trusted UFRaw/ImageMagick/Bash solution for batch-raw-conversion and DarkTable or UFRaw for individual jobs. DigiKam as photo manager is getting near to perfection with version 2.9 taking care of all of my (geo)tagging needs and more.

Call me old fashioned but I have an issue with running any Adobe or Microsoft stuff on my fast and furious PCLinuxOS64 - it tends to slow things down. I love WINE of course, it used to run NeatImage for me like a charm for many years until NeatImage decided to go Linux native last year, bless their hearts!

Good to see the old experimental spirit at work though!
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Roland, that's a great set of instructions. I'll try them tonight or tomorrow -- I'm really looking forward to having this option available.

For people who want to build wine on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10 (the current version), I can confirm that these instructions work nearly perfectly:

WineOn64bit - The Official Wine Wiki

Here's the one necessary change (beyond replacing "precise" with "quantal" where necesary for an up-to-date installation): after the compiling steps (./configure and make), while still inside the chroot you will also need to make install

And by all means, if you have a multicore system you should also run make (in the compiling step above) with the -j 2 or -j 4 option as Roland suggests. It will take a while to compile.

Then after exiting the chroot you can install the dependencies as suggested on that wiki page, then run wine as "/var/chroot/usr/local/bin/wine".

If you have installed wine from the repositories, note that this procedure DOES NOT replace it. If you just run "wine" from the command line you'll get the distribution's version; you need to specify the path to the version you just patched and built. That path reaches inside the chroot, but you should be able to run it from outside just fine.

Last edited by Quicksand; 11-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
11-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #37

Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, why is it not possible to compile directly a 32 bits wine under Ubuntu 64 bits ?
RB

11-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roland65 Quote
Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, why is it not possible to compile directly a 32 bits wine under Ubuntu 64 bits ?
RB
Maybe this is a problem with Debian too, I don't know. But the bottom line seems to be that -- at the moment -- the 32-bit -dev packages needed for build dependencies are not coinstallable with their 64-bit counterparts. I think this will iron itself out in further distro development, but for the time being, a 32-bit chroot is the easiest workaround.

Here's the relevant open bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wine1.4/+bug/944321

As is often the case, the title is a little misleading; read down to get to the real issues. I particularly enjoyed that winetricks developer Dan Kegel's first message in the thread is simply "oh, crap."
11-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow Roland, nice job. This seems really solid so far. Here is a (reduced) screenshot:

Everything seems nice and responsive, including the things that are a little sluggish in a virtual machine: image rotation, panning, cropping, the clone/heal tool, navigating from picture to picture, etc.

I have only seen one graphical glitch: in the Develop module, when toggling through the info overlays (off -> overlay 1 -> overlay 2 -> off again) using the i hotkey, the second overlay gets visually corrupted -- the first one isn't erased properly. But if you toggle through the whole set to turn the overlay off again, it recovers. Not a huge problem.

And I have one more thing to test. A year ago, when I was running LR 3.4 in wine, it had trouble handling very large image set imports (like 450+ images in a set). The filmstrip just wouldn't scroll past image no. 450 or so, and neither would the gallery in the Library module. I'll check that out soon. This can be worked around by dividing imports into multiple sets.

And I'll check the delete-rejected function too, which was wonky before.

If these functions work, the next step will be to figure out how to properly color-manage this thing.
11-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
A year ago, when I was running LR 3.4 in wine, it had trouble handling very large image set imports (like 450+ images in a set). The filmstrip just wouldn't scroll past image no. 450 or so, and neither would the gallery in the Library module. I'll check that out soon. This can be worked around by dividing imports into multiple sets.
The above is still true.

The bottom-of-the-screen filmstrip only scrolls up to picture number 454 in a large set. The scroll thumb will be in the far-right position, but any additional photos in the set will remain off-screen. It's possible to keyboard-navigate to the off-screen ones to develop them, but they stay off-screen on the filmstrip.

And in the Library's grid view, at the default thumbnail size, if you scroll the thumb in the scrollbar all the way to the bottom, the last picture shown is #505 or thereabouts. If you shrink the thumbnail size you can get many more in -- I haven't tried more than 950, and with tiny thumbnails those all fit.

Everything else still looks good, though -- and this isn't a dealbreaker for me. If I were a pro photographer with thousands of pictures per event it would be annoying, but I'm not.
11-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #41

Yes, I see the same problem. This sounds like a wine bug (something related to the canvas size?). Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to fix it, sorry ;-(
RB
12-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #42

Preset film pack for Lightroom 4.x

Hi,
here is a pack of film presets for Lightroom 4.x : http://roland65.free.fr/lr/LR4_Film_Presets.zip
Enjoy,
RB
02-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #43

Hi, thanks for the tip with LR4
I install both 4.2 and 4.3 with success but i still have a greenish view of my picture ! I don't understand why ? So for me it's unusable
02-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #44

Did you follow ALL the steps ? What is your system ?
RB
02-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #45

Yes, and i'm not a beginner with debian/ubuntu.

I run ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop (64 bits). I have ubuntu 12.10 (32bits) on my home server. I use unity 3d on my laptop and my server (home media server connected to tv)
I have created some playonlinux scripts in the past. So I build a special wine version for wine under playonlinux with your patch on my server. Installation work fine and launching lightroom (adding the dll et icm profile) work great too, but too slowy on my server. When I zoom on an image I see only the lightroom background. In the develop module, it works but very very slow and I don't see the fullimage.

I move my playonlinux wine patched version to my laptop experiencing with a successfull installation and launching LR but in develop module my picture is greenish. Unfortunately I build wine version with chroot method (64 bits) successfull but it requires more and more hard drive space ....
I delete my specific lightroom wineprefix and install lightroom with wine's chroot. I delete before lightroom catalog. Afeter launching LR, importing a PEF, the picture is greenish too.

I don't understand why it is greenish ! If I understand why, I could create a simply usable lightroom installation

When I use LR 3.6 It work fine ! For information this is my playonlinux script : Forums - PlayOnLinux - Utilisez vos applications Windows sous Linux en toute simplicité !