Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Making a photo book, want to get my sharpening correct

Hello,

I am going to be making some nicer photo books as gifts for Christmas this year and have never ventured into the print realm other than trying a cheapie walgreens (local drugstore) book last Christmas.

My workflow in Post is this:

1) levels / curves
2) shadows / highlights
3) a crop or straightening if it needs it

That's pretty much all I do right now because all of my photos are going to a TV or other screen.

When printing, I assume I should be worried about the sharpness or clarity as well?

I am looking at spending a decent sum of money and want to get it right. Other than doing one as a test, any suggestions for me to help get this right?

The photos will all be 3000x2000 and the photo books no larger than 12x12 so most photos will be well below a 300dpi printed resolution I would assume.

Anyone have a favorite vendor for this?

Thanks,

Jamey

08-22-2014, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Hello,

I am going to be making some nicer photo books as gifts for Christmas this year and have never ventured into the print realm other than trying a cheapie walgreens (local drugstore) book last Christmas.

1) levels / curves
2) shadows / highlights

That's pretty much all I do right now because all of my photos are going to a TV or other screen.

When printing, I assume I should be worried about the sharpness or clarity as well?

I am looking at spending a decent sum of money and want to get it right. Other than doing one as a test, any suggestions for me to help get this right?

The photos will all be 3000x2000 and the photo books no larger than 12x12 so most photos will be well below a 300dpi printed resolution I would assume.

Thanks,

Jamey
Hi there hope all is well.
In no way am i a pro but ive got a book which turned to be a stunner quality/sharpness wise. I do all my PP in lightroom and my general rule of thumb for portraiture in regards to sharpness is 50 1.5 35 35 using the four sliders. Depending on the iso i tweak luminance and colour noise. My luminance starting point is always 20 65 55. Sharpness is the very last adjustment i make in LR. Clarity is a great tool for portraiture to bring out some detail on mens portrait or to lose some speaking about the ladies.
I cant be much help in regards to a book vendor as i am located overseas but i hope i helped at least a bit. It works for me.
P.S. "it's not a photograph if it's not printed".
08-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would encourage you to talk to your printer about this.
08-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't selected one yet? There are dozens of options. Essentially I want archival paper, and prefer hardcover with sewn bindings or if I have to the lay flat kinds. I saw http://www.artifactuprising.com/site/ as well as mpix and some others.

Anyone have favorites?

When I said photo book john, I meant for like family use not actually publishing!

jamey

08-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before getting a large print done I ran off a couple of small samples with slightly different settings to calibrate the color and sharpness. There are subtle differences between your screen output, the photoshop's photo printer and the book/poster plotter. The thing I did notice was that all the images, including the poster, printed sharper than they appeared on my laptop screen. Talk to your printer and make sure you've got some sample prints to give the printer to check against.
08-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've heard good things about Blurb.

M
08-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Try blurb good choice of papers ,formats, covers,prices

08-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Blurb through Lightroom. Excellent results.
08-23-2014, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Don't know if it'll help, but this guide to output sharpening for web or print might help...Guide to Image Sharpening
It seems you have to sharpen more aggressively for print than the web....
08-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nice article, thanks!
08-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

1) levels / curves
2) shadows / highlights

Thanks,

Jamey
I use this ; SmartSharpening2 | GIMP Guru
Obviously for gimp.
I do my own printing and I find images that are almost grossly over-sharpened on the monitor come out fine printed.
08-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't used Blurb yet but I have tried MyPublisher.com and have been very pleased with the results. I particularly like the option of lie-flat pages (spendy at $25 for the classic book size but worth it IMO) and the super-gloss finish (makes the colours very vibrant). Their standard weight paper is nice and heavy.

I have found it to be a bit of PITA to upload the photos to their system and then use their templates, but I haven't had any trouble with the software and once you get the hang of using their templates it goes pretty quickly.

They have delivered very quickly to me (but they're in NY state and I'm in NYC) so that helps with the delivery time.

They've usually got a sale of some kind going on every week - some deals are better than others depending on the kind of book you want. I do think their policies on delivery charges (it's a specific price per book - no discount on shipping for multiple copies) and on applying coupons to different books (e.g., if there is a $30 off $100 coupon, you can't meet the $100 total by ordering two different books - it has to be one book, or multiple copies of the same book hitting the $100 threshold) are super-irritating. But I guess I've invested enough time in learning their system, and I've been really happy with the results to date, so I'll continue using them for now.

I usually order one copy of a book to see how it turns out and then order more copies if the first one turns out. They often offer a significant discount on re-orders.

It's also really easy to share a preview of your book with someone. (In fact, if you'd like to see one of my books, send me a PM with your email and I'll share it with you.)

I have read some reviews on Yelp that suggest that if you have a customer service problem, they're a nightmare to deal with, but I haven't had that issue yet.

I do plan to learn how to use Blurb because of the link through LR but haven't got around to it yet.
09-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Blurb's nice and reasonably priced for what the OP is looking for... a reasonable home user book that looks good with good paper options. Last winter, I used the Lightroom module, but it lacks the full flexibility of their own external tool. I did order some samples to see how the papers look, and I had used them in the past. As it is, I am going to look into a couple of other options to improve the quality. It does seem the book sites are a bit like lenses. You buy a book that's pretty good for a reasonable price, or you spend two or three times as much for something that you can tell is professional quality but in the end really only a bit better than what you might get from Blurb.

MyPublisher has been the one that has caught my eye as well. Seems like a step up from Blurb without getting too out of hand price-wise.

I'm a bit disappointed that more isn't available through Lightroom.