Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best Monitor brands for photo editing?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am researching monitors for photo editing and I have been online and to a Best Buy store, (which was a terrible experience). I actually called HP and they are not offering much if any at the moment in a 1920x1200 res. Well the HP rep went silent at the request... My laptop is HP, but I suppose it doesn't matter what brand of external monitor is connected to it. I have around $400 use for the monitor, and then I will still need the calibration tool. At the Best Buy Electronics store I was shuffled around to several people who couldn't answer one single question. Dumb enough as it was I had walked over to the small TVs thinking they were monitors, when I ask the sales rep their to "Show me where the PC monitors are that are good for photo editing he didn't say, "ma'am these are TV's.... The PC monitors are in that section over there", but he then tried to sell me a TV.
He even called a different guy who came over, I explained that I "Needed an external PC monitor to hook up to my laptop for photo... Blah blah... To use with lightroom 5 , matte finish screen ...not a 1080. He does not lead me to Pc monitors either. Finally I ask "uhhhemmm....where are Pc monitors, these are Televisions".
Sales rep in PCs and monitors is totally absorbed with whoever is at desk.... 30 min's passes.... Their issue is still not resolved, no other rep is helping me.... They can't explain, screen res, adobe RGB, which are IPS, or if the monitors can be calibrated, sooo if any one knows I will appreciate the suggestions. I will be ordering online for sure.

08-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most retail stores have generally lousy consumer-oriented monitors, and the salesfolks are generally clueless.

Since you asked for the best monitor brands, I'd recommend the NEC SpectraView series.

M
08-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have an (older) NEC LCD monitor and like it a lot. Regardless of what you choose, I would get a color calibration device. I have a Color Munki and have found it very easy to use. Even though the difference in calibrated and uncalibrated colors has not been great on the NEC monitor, it is helpful to know that the image on the screen is accurate.
08-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use a 27" Korean made (LG IPS panel) Yamakasi monitor (2560x1440 no dead pixel) and never look back.... it is also not that expense. The only thing is that I have to upgrade my video card to support Dual-link DVI (which is also not expensive now) for a desktop. It may also work with HDMI video output (my monitor can support HDMI input) from your laptop, but I am not sure.

08-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

the biggest thing about monitors for photo editing is PPI and color calibration.

the first thing, PPI means if you want a big monitor, you need ultra high resolution. Ideally I think around 100+ ppi is a good threshold. You also want better contrast ratios. I think a DVI input is a must, I don't like HDMI, it seems to affect my gamut, and VGA in antiquated.

The second item, color calibration, requires some kind of device that can be purchased, or just really really good eyesight on your part and a color calibration chart pulled up on your monitor.

The biggest key, however, is your budget, which probably means some kind of compromise.

I've stayed around 25-27" because that's what my budget allows, when trying to get all of the features I want. You may have to stick with 20" or maybe you can get 32", but ppi and contrast ratios are very important items to look for as far as I'm concerned.

just do an internet search for "how to calculate a monitor's ppi" and you'll find handy equations and/or tables.

a final note, make sure you set your post processing program workspace, like Photoshop or Lightroom, to match your monitor's ppi. It makes a big difference in rendering/editing.

In terms of brand, I'll cast a vote for Dell. I've had 2 @27" over the past 8 years and never had issues with either.
08-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

For your price point this is an excellent monitor for photo work CROSSOVER BLACK TUNE 2755AMG IPS LED 27" 2560X1440 AH-IPS DVI HDMI PC MONITOR. It is one of the few Korean IPS monitors that has individual color calibration control. I can nail my color calibration with my spyder 4 pro and have no color deviation at any angle.
Crossover Black Tune 2755AMG IPS LED 27" 2560x1440 AH IPS DVI HDMI PC Monitor | eBay

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 08-28-2014 at 01:11 PM.
08-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's not so much the brand but the technical features you should look at.

Here's a few useful articles:
Monitor Buying Guide - CNET
What is an IPS Monitor? A Practical Guide to Understanding Display Technology

08-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have an ASUS ProArt that is IPS and 1920x1200. A few years old now, but it was very good value.
Monitors & Projectors - PA246Q - ASUS
Definitely you want :
1. IPS monitor.
2. Don't go near glossy screens with a 10 foot barge pole.
3. The rest is up to you and your budget to decide.
08-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the info, I will definitely be rereading all your suggestions before I buy. The screen on my laptop is a Brightview 1366x786. It will be interesting to see what my photos look like on a proper screen. It might go like this.... delete.... delete... then I would have more excuse to take new photos... win win!.
08-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm using an LG IPS monitor. It's 23" and at the time, cost $239 on sale at Best Buy. I have a Spyder 4 Pro for calibration.
08-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm running an LG 24" MP56 IPS monitor, and can recommend it as a good relatively low cost photo editing monitor (IIRC, it was @ $200 USD on sale). I use a Spyder 4 Pro to calibrate it.

The difference between this IPS monitor and my previous Viewsonic 24" LED monitor (even lower cost, and not IPS) is night and day. Brightness, contrast, color accuracy and viewing angles are not just noticeably, but orders of magnitude better with IPS technology. I know that I can get even better, but at my level (and probably for the great majority of amateurs) there really is no need IMO.

Scott
09-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok so I read and reread all the info (Monitor buying guide, etc...) everyone posted and then went online monitor shopping, It was a lot of spec reading but finally ordered the ASUS 27", PB278Q. Hope I picked ok. Then I also ordered the X-Rite i1 display pro. I am very curious as to what my photos really look like and to see where I need to improve.
09-06-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Ok so I read and reread all the info (Monitor buying guide, etc...) everyone posted and then went online monitor shopping, It was a lot of spec reading but finally ordered the ASUS 27", PB278Q. Hope I picked ok. Then I also ordered the X-Rite i1 display pro. I am very curious as to what my photos really look like and to see where I need to improve.
You'll do just fine with that, you will notice a vast improvement in your color work with your new monitor and color calibrater you chose, so enjoy. I considered going to a PLS and that model but one of my deciding factors with it was the only 79% Adobe RGB compatability. Since I work a lot in Pro Photo and Adobe Rgb, only for wanting to work in the widest color gamut in post processing initially, I opted to stay with an AH-IPS with 99% Adobe RGB and give one of the Korean models a try for which I haven't regretted. One thing I might suggest to start off with is if the X-Rite has the option to calibrate using the individual rgb colors vs not, use the option not to at first while you are learning your new equipment. Then after you are more confident with the process you can fine tune your calibration more accurately. Just make sure if you are going to print that you post process using the ICC profile for the printer and paper you are going to use or at least soft proof for it prior to printing.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 09-06-2014 at 06:18 AM.
09-07-2014, 03:51 AM   #14

Like most have allready pointed out go for a IPS monitor, but heres a hint for most ppl if you want to get highest pixelcount from any monitor allways use a DVI contact even if the monitor itself has HDMI check if your graficscard has a DVI port and use a DVI to HDMI cable. couse HDMI caps the resolution so goin with DVI from the computer lets you set a noticeable higher/better resolution with helps as we know for working with photos
09-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I checked my graphics card on my Pavilion dv6t and found that it only supports up to 1366x768 resolution and unfortunately is integrated. Had a discussion with HP and the graphics card canot be switched out. 😕😕😕
Thus the monitor has been cancelled until I get a PC base and graphics card that will support it.