Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Retouching older faces

I just finished my first portrait session, done as a birthday gift for an older friend. The proof she picked as her favorite wasn't mine, but I think it shows the beautiful young lady she was (and no doubt still sees in the mirror). Ironically, I think it's also the harshest lighting on her face.

All of the retouching examples & demos I have seen almost always involve young models turned into plastic high-fashion dolls, or making old people look older. I want her to look like the lovely 75 year old she is... just slightly improved. I'd like to open her eyes up a bit, soften up wrinkles and smooth the skin a little. Maybe thicken and neaten her hair a little. But not so much she stops looking like her.

How far do you go when retouching the portraits of older clients, in terms of age removal?

Here is the victim of my novice portrait effort. (Hey, lowering the resolution smoothed her out a lot! )

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-14-2014, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a fine picture anyway. While the lines of age can be an attractive characteristic, they are not always flattering on a feminin face. Soft window light evens out the shadows of an uneven skin, and using the softness of a wide open lens also helps here. An old trick used to be taking the picture through a hazy filter of some kind.
This is all before the picture is taken, but PP is another matter. I am no expert at PP and think it is often overdone. In your case perhaps some PP image softening may help.
09-14-2014, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A complicated subject that I am not equipped to answer... Nonetheless, I once saw an incredibly interesting and compelling portfolio done by a German photographer of her women friends (I think from an exercise class of some sort). All of their wrinkles and "blemishes" were shown and celebrated. (I wish I could find the link.) They had lived a long life, done interesting things, and the experience had left its mark on their faces and bodies. They were comfortable with their age. Perhaps your friend is, as well. If that is the case, I would leave things alone except for those things that you, as the photographer, wish to modify. After all, she chose this photo. If not, then perhaps you might ask her to return and photograph her in a somewhat higher key. I find some of the shadows a bit hard in this photo, regardless of her age. But, as you suggest, I would stay away from the plasticizing software in any event. Unless you want to change someone into a mannikin (and I suppose advertisers often do), I find the results of these programs to be noxious more often than not.
09-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. It was taken with a single rectangular soft box plus some white paper on a table in front of her for some bounced light. I also did a some shots with a fill light, but I liked these better.

I downloaded a trial of Portrait Pro (which has some crazy overdone presets), but since it doesn't do the neck with the same effects, I suppose I will hand retouch in Photoshop.

---------- Post added 09-14-14 at 07:52 PM ----------

MikeW - She is expecting, and looking forward to, retouching. She says she has always looked bad in photos, so I am pleased she selected a dozen favorites and seems happy. Most are with her daughter or personality shots, tho, that won't needy much PP.

Last edited by NicoleC; 09-14-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added info
09-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
How far do you go when retouching the portraits of older clients, in terms of age removal?
First, she looks great for 75. Her clothing and jewelry look so tasteful.
Because you are starting with a good shot, you want the retouching to be very subtle. I'd first get the white balance and skin tones away from an orange cast. Then whiten and brighten her eyes slightly.

The angle of the shot makes her right eye (stage left) look a bit lower than the left, and I believe Portrait Pro can fix this if it matters to you.

I think Spot Healing, or Clone stamping, or reverse Clarity applied to specific areas can soften the under eye sagging. It is not so severe to begin with so go easy. You can also clone or heal away the series of pimple-like bumps on her jaw and maybe her nose, above her brow. Maybe soften the wrinkles above the beaded necklace in the middle.

Overall, a real good photograph.

M
09-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Miguel. She is a lovely lady inside, too.

Below is the level of retouching I think I will go with, although I may have overdone it a hair. I didn't move her eye -- her right eye actually is that much lower than the left. I may yet see what happens if I try to warp that eye in Photoshop.

All - I am still very much open to discussion about how far you go when retouching, and with which kinds of clients.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo