Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good book with everything about printing?

Is it possible to find a good book dedicated to everything about printing an image, understanding resolution, formatting, etc.? Preferably not the book about photography in general with one chapter about printing, but the book about printing.

09-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Forum Member

Are you sure, you want to know 'everything' about printing? I work in print industry, 'everything' could be dangerous term you might ask for, if you are just looking to print decent image on your own.

Do you want to know how to setup your computer and printer to output a decent image yourself? Is that why you're looking for a book?
Not too sure if there's any books around about just that, but you might have better chance looking for blogs and pdf guides around the net.

Since you asked for a book, and here's one that I found handy and relatively fool-proof (for me, at least).
Pocket Pal: A Graphic Arts Production Handbook: Frank Romano: 9780977271610: Amazon.com: Books
Not just for printing an image, but all the other things, too.

If you have specific questions about general printing, I could help, probably. I operate large format printers (inkjet, lightjet, etc) and also a large fine-art scanner in a printshop.
09-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, everything as possible about digital era printing However, some good understanding of basics would be a plus, I guess.
The problem with blogs, tutorials, etc. is that I need to dig myself in something I get not clue about. It's kind of hard to memorize things without understanding them. When understood, there is no need to memorize any more.
It would be great to get everything at the same book for dummies. You may ask "what everything"? I don't know! Everything I need to know to transfer a photo file into great print.
09-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

People may be able to give you some recommendations if they knew a few more details
- Do you have a printer yet?
- If so, which one? A lot of key settings are in the printer driver. No point teaching you how to use an Epson when you've got a Canon.
- If not, are you looking for guidance on buying one? Or are you planning on printing at a photo lab (online or in person)?
- Are you looking to use a RIP or the printer's driver?
- What photo editing software do you use? That's where the rest of your settings are and even the two big Adobe programs Lightroom and Photoshop have different settings for printing. You'll also want to different things for preparing the image for printing. All other photo editing software has their own settings too.
- Do you have a colour managed system? Is this something you want? This may be something else you require instruction on.

With these answers, maybe someone will be able to point you in the right direction.