Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Best photo printer (pref. Epson) for a student

I've just started an intensive, 3-term photography program at ICP and I want to be able to do some of my own printing at home. I do have access to their photo lab, but sometimes it won't be convenient to go there - and I also want to learn about printing (even if I don't end up doing it on a regular basis). (And I know I can also go to certain local labs, too, if I want someone else to do the printing for me, but that's not going to be convenient either in all cases. I will sometimes have deadlines where I'm shooting on the weekend or Monday and need to have prints for class on Tuesday night, for example - and I work during the day - so I need to be able to print at home the night before class.)

What printers would you recommend for someone who is learning how to print (but wants to be able to do fairly high quality prints)? I probably need to be able to print at least 8x10 (ideally at least 8.5x11). Relative ease of use is important and all other things being equal, I tilt toward Epson because the school uses Epson printers.

I saw the discussion thread from earlier this month about the Epson 3880 etc, but that printer is a bit out of my price range. I'm comfortable spending up to about $600-700, though, for the printer itself and starting set of inks. I'll be printing almost exclusively in colour.

Thanks

10-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #2

Consider the Epson Stylus Photo Line R2000, R2880, or R3000. All are able to print up to 13" wide, a great option for your prints. I have a R1900 for 6+ years and has been trouble free and ready to move up to the R3880. Look at B and H for better prices on Epson inks verse the Epson site. Enjoy...much success in your choice and future endeavors.
10-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Epson R3000 is currently $589 from Epson. I think B&H Photo might have a pretty good rebate on that one as well. I've been looking pretty hard at printers myself and this one looks like it ticks my boxes. It will also print rolls if you are thinking of panos as an option.
10-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
B&H has the 3000 $739, subject to a $200 mail-in rebate (net cost $539) and the 2000 at $699, subject to a $200 mail-in revate (net cost $499).

Looking more closely at this series of Epsons, I'm going to need to figure out if they fit my desk (which is fairly small and narrow) - about 24" wide and 38" long. I think a printer of this size would pretty much swallow my desk - not that I use my desk for much right now except to hold stuff up. (So it might as well hold up a printer instead of random junk.)

There don't seem to be any smaller/less expensive Epson options available in-stock at the moment (e.g., Artisan series).

10-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any CLARA INK epson printer (model something 50--8.5" wide, an all in one, or the 1430--14" wide) will give you for $100 to $300 results as good as the highest price ones. I use this to proof my prints--i.e., I use to accept or not the 2 ft by 3 ft ones I get from the best epson printers. I am not alone in this!

If you want to sell, then the Clara ink becomes an issue--but not for your own prints as with the right paper (a reasonably good Epson photo paper) it will give it about a century light fastness.

---------- Post added 10-02-14 at 06:16 PM ----------

I suggest you read the following discussion. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...0-quality.html
10-03-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've discovered that the potential limitation is the size of my desk. (Mr frogoutofwater and I live in a fairly small apartment in NYC.) My desk's dimensions are 23" deep by 42" long. At the moment, I only use it to hold stuff up so I don't mind if it becomes a dedicated printing space, and there is space around the edges - I can move it out from the wall a couple of inches and there is a decent amount of clearance all the way around.

Both the Artisan and Stylus printer specs indicate that the printer is a little over 24" wide and that I'll need 30+" when it's set up for printing. That's slightly wider than my desk (but only by a little over an inch). Is that going to be a problem?

I'm inclined to get one of the Artisan Printers (maybe the 1430) to start with. I don't need to make super high-quality prints for school in most instances. And when I do need prints like that (eg for the end-of-term portfolio) I probably will take the time to print in the school's lab.
10-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A quick update: I ended up getting the Epson Artisan 1430 for $295 - thank you to those who commented on this thread for your advice. It was very easy to set up (even for a tech idiot like me) and I've produced a few prints to start. (It's extremely tempting to print everything, but I know I need to keep an eye on costs ...)

It doesn't take up as much space as I feared it would. When it's not set up to print, it takes up about 2/5 of my small desk (which is 23" deep and 42" long). The printer overhangs the desk by about 1/2 an inch on each side, which isn't a problem. And I have some open space on the right side of my desk - when the printer is open for printing the feeder extends about 8" into this space (on a diagonal). Having the printer on my desk might motivate me to keep the area tidy The only problem I foresee is that my three cats are as fascinated with the printer (when it's operating) as they are with the shredder. So I'm either going to have to lock the cats in the bedroom when I print or I'm going to have to shred and print simultaneously, so that the cats get mesmerised by the shredder instead of the printer. I'm also thinking of getting some kind of cover for the printer, since the cats are likely to want to sit on it and in order to reduce the amount of dust and cat hair to it is exposed.

I'm also thinking about taking a weekend printing workshop at the International Center of Photography later this term, so I can learn more about the basics.