Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 10:11 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My photo book was the coveted item at a recent auction :)

As some of you who have seen my other posts know, I'm particularly interested in photographing rescued animals (pets, wildlife, farm animals etc) and I volunteer for a couple of animal welfare groups. Recently, I created a couple of books through www.mypublisher.com, gave copies to the founders of the organizations and donated copies to fundraising events as well.

Last week, I got some uplifting news from the Catskill Animal Sanctuary, which hosted its annual Shindig on October 11. They held a silent auction and one of the items available was my book. Apparently, a 10-year old boy became interested in the book and decided to bid on it, using his allowance money. He stood by the book, and re-bid each time someone else entered a bid. As the price went up and up, his mother stayed with him and asked him if this is really how he wanted to spend all the money he'd worked so hard to earn. He said he loved "his friends" in the book and he wanted to keep bidding. (BTW, who repeatedly bids against a kid?) His winning bid was $160 and by that point, a crowd had gathered to watch him and look at the book as one of the volunteers flipped pages to show people the prize.

It's not the $, but I'm just so thrilled and humbled that a person would love the animals and the photos so much that he would make a major sacrifice to have the book. I'm also very appreciative of the way a number of people have gone out of their way in the past week to tell me this story. (Among others, the founder of CAS wrote me a thank you note to tell me about the auction.)

The attached photo is from my latest trip to CAS (and will be included in the next version of the book). This is a photo of gentle Buddy, a blind (and eyeless) horse.

Attached Images

10-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story and thanks for sharing. And yes, who bids against a child? Really?
10-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #3

What a great and inspiring story, on multiple levels. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!
10-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow, that is a fantastic story. Please post this also in the Animal Shelter thread you started in the Technique Forum. There will be a lot of people inspired by this in that thread.

Tim

10-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

I love this story. It feels good to when your work resonates with a fellow human being.
10-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot, great story, and indeed... who bids against a 10 year old?

Do have any out-takes that didn't make the cut for your book? Perhaps you could autograph a couple and forward them to this most generous child?
10-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Great shot, great story, and indeed... who bids against a 10 year old?

Do have any out-takes that didn't make the cut for your book? Perhaps you could autograph a couple and forward them to this most generous child?
Yes, I'm going to try and find out through CAS if there is a way to contact his parents so that I can send a gift - either a print or the small calendar I'm planning to make for 2015.

10-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #8

Awsome shot, and a great story!
11-01-2014, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am very touched by your story, it really is a great thing! Good luck to you
11-01-2014, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

What a guy.... I sure hope a parent came around and offered to cover some of the cost of the purchase, even if it was only $25. I know what it's like to have a parent standing there saying "are you sure you want to spend your money on this?"

SO glad to hear your images are making a name for themselves...