Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DXO Clearview technique vs. adjusting color and contrast in LAB space?

Hi,

I am looking through the DXO deals and I stumbled upon their Clearview feature. Does it work any differently than adjusting color in a,b channels in LAB space and perhaps adjusting unsharp mask? It seems similar, but I am wondering if they are doing anything more clever and if the results are visibly better.

I would appreciate if you could weigh in, if you happened to have used both techniques...

11-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I frequently use luminosity layers to tweak tones and details in an image, the channel mixer is a useful tool for this.
11-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I frequently use luminosity layers to tweak tones and details in an image, the channel mixer is a useful tool for this.
Thanks. Did you see the clearview technique from DXO?

They say it removes haze, but results look quite similar to what you would expect with tweakin LAB space:
ClearView | www.dxo.com

Or is it just me?
11-26-2014, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
They say it removes haze, but results look quite similar to what you would expect with tweakin LAB space:
yes, that is my impression from the sample images they have posted.

11-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you two go into a little more detail, please? I quite like the result, but dont know how to achieve it with LR and PS, at least not without painting in exposure compensation
11-26-2014, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Could you two go into a little more detail, please? I quite like the result, but dont know how to achieve it with LR and PS, at least not without painting in exposure compensation
I think it will be easier to link this:
How to Use LAB Color in Photoshop to Add Punch to Your Images

It separates luminosity from color saturation. It is very easy to fix color casts and increase color saturation in a chosen part of a histogram.
11-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The replies have been very interesting but has anyone been able to try The DxO product to see how well it works?

11-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I think it will be easier to link this:
How to Use LAB Color in Photoshop to Add Punch to Your Images

It separates luminosity from color saturation. It is very easy to fix color casts and increase color saturation in a chosen part of a histogram.
Hey thanks for that link.
I have just been doing the colour curve thing up to now and having been looking for this technique.
I use Gimp and I think I have got it sorted on that now:.
Duplicate layer
Highlight Dup lyer
Colour/components/decompose/LAB
Do curve adjustments as per article
Click on base layer to see result
Layer opacity is there if you need it.

Gimp users out there have I got it right?
11-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #9
sTi
Forum Member

From what they write and the screenshots, Clearview looks like a selective local contrast adjustment process, i.e. they analyze the "haziness" of the image areas and increase the local contrast (similar to "clarity" slider) of the haziest parts while leaving alone the non-hazy parts (because increasing their local contrast would make the image look too fake-HDR like).
The simple LAB adjustment mentioned has nothing to do with this. It's used to adjust the global contrast of the image and would screw up the non-hazy image parts in this case (i.e. make them too contrasty).
I haven't tried this Clearview stuff from DxO, but I'd expect it to work great on some hand-picked pictures and not-so-great on a lot of others, depending how closely they resemble the idealized conditions for which this tool was created...
11-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
From what they write and the screenshots, Clearview looks like a selective local contrast adjustment process, i.e. they analyze the "haziness" of the image areas and increase the local contrast (similar to "clarity" slider) of the haziest parts while leaving alone the non-hazy parts (because increasing their local contrast would make the image look too fake-HDR like).
The simple LAB adjustment mentioned has nothing to do with this. It's used to adjust the global contrast of the image and would screw up the non-hazy image parts in this case (i.e. make them too contrasty).
I haven't tried this Clearview stuff from DxO, but I'd expect it to work great on some hand-picked pictures and not-so-great on a lot of others, depending how closely they resemble the idealized conditions for which this tool was created...
Thanks for your thoughts on this. It clarified a lot No pun intended!
11-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The replies have been very interesting but has anyone been able to try The DxO product to see how well it works?
Clearview works well, but does have one drawback. It darkens shadow areas, so you have to take an extra step after using Clearview and lighten the shadows.