Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do I need to calibrate monitor if not printing?

Hello,

I have recently acquired an IPS monitor (Dell S2340l) after my BenQ died on me. I have a quick question, do I need to calibrate the monitor if I'm not printing anything and I'm not planning to print in the future? or I can go along with default sRGB profile or some profile downloaded from TFT central for my monitor?

Many thanks!
hatti

11-27-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would still calibrate any monitor.

It's about being confident that whatever you do to your images on your computer is producing colour accurate and consistent (and shareable...) results.

Display calibration tools (eg the Datacolor Spyder4EXPRESS - $69 at the moment at B&H) are not expensive or hard to use.
11-27-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Hello,

I have recently acquired an IPS monitor (Dell S2340l) after my BenQ died on me. I have a quick question, do I need to calibrate the monitor if I'm not printing anything and I'm not planning to print in the future? or I can go along with default sRGB profile or some profile downloaded from TFT central for my monitor?

Many thanks!
hatti
What rawr said above.

Here's a free calibration tool that works OK.

Hex2Bit - Software by Mike Walters

Probably not as fancy as a paid program but it's free, easy to use, and it makes a difference.
11-27-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Display calibration tools (eg the Datacolor Spyder4EXPRESS - $69 at the moment at B&H) are not expensive or hard to use.
I have no knowledge about this kind of tools. Is it just a software or it's a physical device?

11-27-2014, 04:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is it just a software or it's a physical device?
Both:

QuoteQuote:
"Install the software, attach the color sensor to USB, and step through the wizard. The sensor measures a series of colors on your screen and creates a “profile” that brings your display to a reference state".
Datacolor Spyder 4 Express product info page
11-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I would still calibrate any monitor. It's about being confident that whatever you do to your images on your computer is producing colour accurate and consistent (and shareable...) results. Display calibration tools (eg the Datacolor Spyder4EXPRESS - $69 at the moment at B&H) are not expensive or hard to use.
Exactly.
Everything on my monitor looks better after I calibrate and profile it. Even icons.

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Here's a free calibration tool that works OK. Hex2Bit - Software by Mike Walters
I'm not a big fan in software-only calibration attempts, but it's better than nothing. This is free, and worth trying to see if you notice an improvement. Hardware-driven calibration takes into account the lighting of your own monitor. There is a puck that hangs on your monitor, evaluating the light emanating. Some better products will measure ambient light in the room as well, which makes a difference. Be sure to have fairly dim, indirect lighting when you are calibrating.
If you spent good money on a decent IPS monitor you should complete the loop and enjoy!

M
11-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your photos and those of others will almost always look better on a calibrated monitor. It also helps insure that others with calibrated monitors will see your photos as you intend them.

11-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A calibrated monitor is a must whether you print or not. If you ever want to share your images online with your fellow Pentaxians then it would be good to make sure red is red and not brownish. Blue should be blue and not purplish. Otherwise we're all going to wonder what you did to your histogram and curves when you were post processing!
11-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your answers. I'll try to get a display calibration tool (Datacolor Spyder4EXPRESS seems a nice little device to do the job).
12-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thank you for your answers. I'll try to get a display calibration tool (Datacolor Spyder4EXPRESS seems a nice little device to do the job).
That would be a good idea even though your colours were always spot on
12-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I certainly would and for critical work I use a "Color Checker Passport" at the time of taking to ensure accurate colour rendition.