Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Making Lightroom Lens Profiles

I have tried to make my own Lightroom lens profiles a few times now and not been successful. Sometimes it fails to detect three good photos. Other times, the vignette profiles aren't a good match. Yet another time, it said the matrix solve failed to converge...

Anyone who's made one have any tips for success? I tried a tripod the first time around, but taking all the images in the same plane as the sensor resulted in the convergence failure. Today I tried handheld with a variety of angles...grid detection failed more often than not. I'm trying to use an 8.5x11 grid. Is that my problem? Should I put the camera on a tripod and just move the grid up and down?

I'm trying to make profiles for the FA50 f/1.7 and F 70-210 f/4-5.6 on the K-5IIs. They are not available elsewhere. I have looked.

11-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also be very grateful for a source of profiles. They are, indeed, difficult to make.
11-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not trying to get someone to make it for me. I'm trying to learn how to do this. I'm not sure how to take the pictures to get good results.
11-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made a successful Lightroom profile a few years ago for a Tokina 12-24mm f4.It was an exercise in patient recordkeeping, but it worked. Of course the official Adobe profile was included in the next version of LR!
Anyway, if I recall correctly, I printed out a 12x18-in version of the included calibration charts. Tripod was mandatory as I could not possibly be consistent with all those required shots and keep a record of my progress while handholding anything besides a pencil. I kept the target locked down and followed the framing with the camera and tripod.

While I'm not in your specific situation, I would think that doing this for a 50mm would be less complicated. Longer zoom too as the inherent distortions of an ultra-wide aren't there. Wish I could give you more pointers.

I'm sure you will succeed eventually.

M

---------- Post added 11-28-14 at 02:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I would also be very grateful for a source of profiles. They are, indeed, difficult to make.
Have you used the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader application? There is a public database of lens profiles.

M

11-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I made a successful Lightroom profile a few years ago for a Tokina 12-24mm f4.It was an exercise in patient recordkeeping, but it worked.

M
Miguel, you are a far more patient man than I am. I will have a look at the public data base.