Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K5 presets for Lightroom

Hi all

I tried to make a K5 preset for initial developing in LR4 by comparing the jpeg file from the camera with the developed RAW. Most of the times the jpeg is quite good and I wanted to use it as a starting point

The settings that I used

hightlights -4
shadows +24
Clarity +17
Vibrance +17
Saturation +2

Sharpening Amount 73
Radius 1.7
Detail 12
Masking 20

Sometimes it looks good, but sometimes oversaturated

Anybody else have a working preset and reccomendations

03-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Sorry, no. But I'm going to try yours. I was hoping that by shooting Raw+ I'd be able to copy the JPEG settings to the Raw developer in Lightroom, but all the sliders are at 0 in the JPEG..
03-05-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The difference between RAW and the look you want can vary a lot. Sometimes I add +40 vibrance and increase saturation of certain colors as well. Other times I use the color as is.
03-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Forum Member

I was hoping I'll be able to find equivalent of LR profiles/presets, which could more or less truly reflect image I see on lcd on the camera. I can imagine it sounds rather pathetic, esp. since I am shooting RAW, but sometimes what I see on the display is exactly what I like...but than I have to spend 20 mins on cpu trying to recreate look in PP . Even direct conversion in camera aint doing so good job.

03-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the problem you all are going to have is that each image is different. Finding the right settings for one image, may not work for the next image, especially if you are counting on fixed values for the various settings. Rather than focus on recreating the Pentax camera profiles, I think the best thing for users of any non-Pentax software to do is try to create a generic preset (or profile) that gets to an image you like instead of aiming at one specific look. Your best bets may be to leverage some of the auto settings as much as you can (to get exposure aspects correct) and then create some generic adjustments for some of the other settings and save a preset out of it. It may or may not look like the out of camera look, but it's more important you like it.

Back with LR3 someone on this forum had created some nice generic profiles for Pentax (might have only been for a K10d or K20), which were about as good as one could hope for in a generic profile. I tried to port the preset over to the LR4/LR5 (2012 process version) settings for the K5 and LR4, but gave up and just created my own.

The one thing I've always been a bit disappointed in LR is that there doesn't seem to be a way to save presets that aren't absolute (besides perhaps leveraging an auto-exposure). I've always wanted to be able to dial in a change rather than an absolute number into a preset. For instance, I'd rather tell LR to adjust the WB from where it is to something +100 k (or perhaps -100 k) or whatever I choose rather than choose a specific temperature. Same goes for some of the other tone settings. I like to use the auto settings and then adjust from there usually by adding or subtracting 5~10 from each of the items or consistently reducing the exposure by 0.2 to 0.5 after the auto-adjustment...

Relative adjustments as an option would be nice. But I'm digressing. The goal should be to create a preset that gets you close to what you want so that you are spending only a minute or so making fine-tuning adjustments in PP. That might mean investing an hour or so in creating the presets, which I would recommend using a handful of photos that are representative of what you'll be working with.

Heck, when I make big trips or vacations, I'll often create a shoot specific preset that will work for at least all the photos from the trip. I did this on a trip to Utah I made in 2009 and again when I went to Iceland. With 3000 photos from each trip, it was worth spending an hour creating a preset based on about 5 photos from that trip, applying it to all the remaining photos from that trip and then tweaking the photos for final use.
03-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bulldogface Quote
I was hoping I'll be able to find equivalent of LR profiles/presets, which could more or less truly reflect image I see on lcd on the camera. I can imagine it sounds rather pathetic, esp. since I am shooting RAW, but sometimes what I see on the display is exactly what I like...but than I have to spend 20 mins on cpu trying to recreate look in PP . Even direct conversion in camera aint doing so good job.

I do not have a preset for you, but you can develop one yourself easily. Set up the kind of shot you want to mimic, with the camera on a tripod. Take exposures and download them without moving the camera. Open them in LR. Now adjust the RAWs to look like what you still can see on your camera lcd. Voila.

Of course, this must be done when lighting is not changing quickly. An indoor, artificially lit scene would be easiest, if that would give you a usable image.

---------- Post added 03-09-15 at 12:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I've always wanted to be able to dial in a change rather than an absolute number into a preset.

Since we shoot under various lighting conditions, we will need different color temperature adjustments. AUTO gives us LR's best guess at neutral balance. Sometimes, that is what we want, or a slightly warmer or color rendition to fit our tastes. But sometimes we want unbalanced color. A sunset with the warmth corrected out of it would not look like a sunset. And then we must consider mixed light source, even if that is just sunlight and shadow. Do we want an average of them? Do we want to correct for one light source?

Sometimes AUTO color balance is tricked, so we need to adjust for that. There is no quick fix for all lighting situations and all tastes, even when they are the tastes of one person.

Last edited by civiletti; 03-09-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: sp
03-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Since we shoot under various lighting conditions, we will need different color temperature adjustments. AUTO gives us LR's best guess at neutral balance. Sometimes, that is what we want, or a slightly warmer or color rendition to fit our tastes. But sometimes we want unbalance color. A sunset with the warmth corrected out of it would not look like a sunset. And then we must consider mixed light source, even if that is just sunlight and shadow. Do we want an average of them? Do we want to correct for one light source?

Sometimes AUTO color balance is tricked, so we need to adjust for that. There is no quick fix for all lighting situations and all tastes, even when they are the tastes of one person.
I think you misunderstood what I was getting at because you essentially stated why I would want what I would want.

Generally, Lightroom's auto settings are decent, BUT, as you alluded to sometimes we don't want the perfect neutral WB or even perfectly balanced exposures.

Taking WB for instance. I often find myself in a position that whatever the WB is (be it the camera's auto or LR's auto), I generally want to adjust the WB for the warmer by a fixed increased amount. That is the part, I think LR could benefit from. You either get to choose auto or a fixed number. I think it would be nice to just say increase the WB by 50 or 100 over where it is at. Of course that number depends on the user and the shot, but that's why there are presets to begin with (and this thread for that matter). I'm almost never happy with the auto-white balances but it isn't because they are off by a lot, it's just because they are always cooler than I want. I just hate that I have to essentially manually adjust the WB because each image will have a slightly different WB to begin with. I'd rather just globally say adjust all images up by 100k. That's all.

Little things like that would go a long way to helping users create more generic profiles that might get closer to a final product they like just like chasing after a preset that will look like the camera produced JPG from the beginning.

03-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I can see that an auto white balance plus warming would be useful for high volume imaging that you will not otherwise edit. If you would be adjusting multiple sliders anyway, then tweaking the auto setting to the warm side would add a trivial amount of time to the process.
03-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I can see that an auto white balance plus warming would be useful for high volume imaging that you will not otherwise edit. If you would be adjusting multiple sliders anyway, then tweaking the auto setting to the warm side would add a trivial amount of time to the process.
The idea of presets is to limit the amount of slider adjusting you have to do. As soon as you do have to tweak settings, the time does not really become trivial unless you are working on just a few photos.

As it is, In browsing some tutorials on doing split-toning, I almost think I could do what I want automatically (i.e. via a preset) using the split-toning feature to provide the added warmth I'm looking to automate.

It would still be nice to allow relative settings in the preset files because I often have to make similar relative changes to the auto-toning for white-balance, shadows, and highlights.
03-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I couldn't find any good presets. It's a shame, but Pentax doesn't offer this kind of in-computer JPG development. The only thing that was capable of doing it was Olympus Studio - all the settings on the camera are replicated on the computer and it was great. You could possibly figure out how to convert DNGs to Olympus ORF and use the Studio.

K-5 might be able to develop the folder of RAWs - I know K-3 can do it.

For ligthroom, your best bet might be slide film preset, with slightly lifted blacks (+10-20).
03-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #11

I switched to RAW+JPEG. Now I have both. 90% of the time, the JPEG is fine, but it's great having the RAW image too. Now with memory cards being so cheap, using double the space isn't a problem. And you can always delete the jpeg's in post if you don't want to print or upload the images.