Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More detail on new Apple Photos Aperture replacement

Apple Aperture users have just received the email below from from Apple. The link to more about Photos has more detail about the editing capabilities of the new software. It won't satisfy most Aperture users unfortunately, and there is no information about whether plugins will be possible.

Dear Aperture customer,
Last June, we introduced the new Photos apps for iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, along with
iCloud Photo Library, which lets you safely store all your photos in iCloud and access them
from anywhere.
When Photos for OS X launches this autumn, Aperture will no longer be available for purchase
from the Mac App Store. You can continue to use Aperture on OS X Yosemite, but you will not
be able to buy additional copies of the app.
You can migrate your Aperture library to Photos for OS X, including your photos, adjustments,
albums and keywords. After migrating, your Aperture library remains intact. However, Aperture
and Photos do not share a unified library, so any changes you make after the migration will not be
shared between the two apps.
To learn more about Photos for OS X, click here. If you’re interested in trying the OS X 10.10.3
Public Beta, which includes Photos for OS X, click here.
We thank you for using Aperture and hope you will enjoy the new Photos for OS X app.
Sincerely,
Apple

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 03-05-2015 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo
03-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's the end of an era - that's for sure. Aperture will probably work for the foreseeable future but who know when it will completely bonk out? Even if it doesn't bonk out it will be missing out on advances in image processing that others like DxO, Phase One, and Adobe are embracing. Apple Photos may one day grow into a suitable replacement for Aperture ... or maybe not. Someone in Apple probably knows what the multigenerational product plan is.

I've moved away from Aperture to Capture One.
03-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
It's the end of an era - that's for sure. Aperture will probably work for the foreseeable future but who know when it will completely bonk out? Even if it doesn't bonk out it will be missing out on advances in image processing that others like DxO, Phase One, and Adobe are embracing. Apple Photos may one day grow into a suitable replacement for Aperture ... or maybe not. Someone in Apple probably knows what the multigenerational product plan is.

I've moved away from Aperture to Capture One.
Yeh, I'm planning to go the same route (when I get home in July from travelling). Capture One is very expensive though: do they ever have special deals?
03-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #4

Hmm, now it is finally happening.... I tried a lightroom trial version and the new migration tool from adobe. Does not seem to work on my huge libraries. Fortunately I manage all the masters myself but when migrating I will loose all adjustment done in aperture.... Really weird apple just leave us here with nothing....

03-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schj Quote
Hmm, now it is finally happening.... I tried a lightroom trial version and the new migration tool from adobe. Does not seem to work on my huge libraries. Fortunately I manage all the masters myself but when migrating I will loose all adjustment done in aperture.... Really weird apple just leave us here with nothing....
Capture One has a better migration tool. It keeps (best approximation to) your Aperture edits. See

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 03-06-2015 at 12:13 AM.
03-06-2015, 03:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I thought I would add to this thread. I'm an Aperture user and love it using plugins lots. I am sad about Aperture being finished. I have installed the Photos beta tonight and had a quick play after migrating an Aperture library. It didn't have any edits, just a down load from my K-3. I'm running it on my MacBook Pro and looks very responsive, which I have read else where is the first impression. This is a shot with some quick edits. And a link to the same photo edited with Aperture and a few plugins.

I haven't tried to make it the same. The editing suite in Photos is somewhat limited on the surface, but reports are that there is a lot going on behind the scenes. This maybe not to everyones liking as we like to control.

I am hoping that the presentation last year on allowing plugins comes true, I can see great things then especially if Topaz comes on board.

One interesting feature is the Share menu and add to Aperture, so it looks like there will be a transition over time. I'm not jumping to Lightroom just yet and I have Pixalmator both on Mac and iOS, I've just got to learn to use it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/288126-macro-deep-red.html
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-06-2015, 03:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yeh, I'm planning to go the same route (when I get home in July from travelling). Capture One is very expensive though: do they ever have special deals?
Yes they do, from time to time (perhaps 30-40% off) - though I don't know of a predictable schedule. Right now you can upgrade from a previous non-pro version for $99, so you could probably find one cheap on ebay or something and then upgrade.

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 02:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Capture One has a better migration tool. It keeps (best approximation to) your Aperture edits. See
And it's the best product in many ways too. Certainly I like it.

Lightroom's main advantage is its 3rd party support, IMO. But that isn't enough to sway me away from C1.

03-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The real deal killer for me in Apple Photos is the lack of a curves tool. It is a basic and foundation color mapping and management tool. Omitting this tool tells me that Apple isn't serious about image processing.

Capture One is expensive. There are 10% off coupon codes floating around the web and sometimes B&H and Adorama sell the package for the same 10% off too. You can subscribe for $10/month. The monthly cost vs. an outright purchase is a wash for the first 5 years. I asked a Phase One Ambassador about sales and discounts and he said it rarely happens but marketing can be unpredictable. Phase One is very proud of their product and is priced to reflect that. I have to agree with them that I would be proud of that image processing engine too! I found a license for sale on eBay and submitted an offer. It was sold by a newly minted Phase One Certified Professional who already had a license. He accepted my offer which means I could have gone lower. Oh well, water under the bridge now.
03-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #9

I received that same email also. I have come to love the brushes in Aperture. With practice the work quickly and can be very effective. I've only been at this a year. Any thoughts on where to go once Aperture dies?
03-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
I received that same email also. I have come to love the brushes in Aperture. With practice the work quickly and can be very effective. I've only been at this a year. Any thoughts on where to go once Aperture dies?
There seem to be three choices. The very expensive Capture One, Adobe Lightroom, or Corel AfterShot.

Meet the new Bibble: Corel® AfterShot? Pro!

Or you could try the new Photos and use external editors like Pixelmator or Affinity.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/
03-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There seem to be three choices. The very expensive Capture One, Adobe Lightroom, or Corel AfterShot.

Meet the new Bibble: Corel® AfterShot? Pro!
If you're interested in AfterShot, there's a decent Mac bundle still available for a few days which includes a bunch of possibly useful apps including AfterShot Pro 2 for $40. I am a Civilization player too so it's like buying Beyond Earth and getting the rest for free.

Mac App Deals – Ultra-Premium Mac Bundle | Find Deals On Mac Software
03-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trigger Happy Quote
If you're interested in AfterShot, there's a decent Mac bundle still available for a few days which includes a bunch of possibly useful apps including AfterShot Pro 2 for $40. I am a Civilization player too so it's like buying Beyond Earth and getting the rest for free.

Mac App Deals – Ultra-Premium Mac Bundle | Find Deals On Mac Software
That bundle expired yesterday.
03-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That bundle expired yesterday.
No, they extended it for a week. I posted that link because it has the extra $5 code, but it has the old expiration date. If you click through to the macappdeals page the bundle is available for 5 more days.
03-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I got the email a few days ago and I pulled out my spare macbook and downloaded the beta almost right away to see what Photos looked like and what it was all about. So after using it for a few days, I have only one though...

Ugh...

I have apps on my phone that gives me more control over my pictures. Editing controls are fewer than Aperture and extremely limited, and as far as I can tell, it has no support for external plugins. And no localized controls (brushes)... like at all?

Photos is not an alternative or the "new" App to replace Aperture, that's for sure. It is a dumbed down version of iPhoto at best. Granted, the automatic adjustments are impressive but it is clearly aimed at beginners, amateurs, and enthusiasts who normally don't process their images much. Why did they bother with adjustments at all I often asked? Why not put a single "Make Picture Better" button?

Good thing Aperture will still run, for a while at least. But it is now a dead end program, with no future. Since the announcement last year I have been playing around with Capture One and Lightroom to see which one I might end up using but until a few days ago, I remained hopeful that Apple would not drop the ball with Photos and included an "advanced" mode. But after a few days working with it, after clicking every single pixel within the App in the hopes of finding a hidden button, I have to accept that this magical button is nowhere to be found.

Here is a screen shot, showing ALL the adjustments available...
03-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I got the email a few days ago and I pulled out my spare macbook and downloaded the beta almost right away to see what Photos looked like and what it was all about. So after using it for a few days, I have only one though...

Ugh...

I have apps on my phone that gives me more control over my pictures. Editing controls are fewer than Aperture and extremely limited, and as far as I can tell, it has no support for external plugins. And no localized controls (brushes)... like at all?

Photos is not an alternative or the "new" App to replace Aperture, that's for sure. It is a dumbed down version of iPhoto at best. Granted, the automatic adjustments are impressive but it is clearly aimed at beginners, amateurs, and enthusiasts who normally don't process their images much. Why did they bother with adjustments at all I often asked? Why not put a single "Make Picture Better" button?

Good thing Aperture will still run, for a while at least. But it is now a dead end program, with no future. Since the announcement last year I have been playing around with Capture One and Lightroom to see which one I might end up using but until a few days ago, I remained hopeful that Apple would not drop the ball with Photos and included an "advanced" mode. But after a few days working with it, after clicking every single pixel within the App in the hopes of finding a hidden button, I have to accept that this magical button is nowhere to be found.

Here is a screen shot, showing ALL the adjustments available...
Following past Apple history features will creep back in. But it will be several versions before it is anything an enthusiast will want to use. The only hope this version would seem to jave will be app extensions linking it to programs like Pixelmator.

But it was clear Apple ceded the prosumer market to Adobe some time ago.