Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Loss of EXIF data?

It seems that every time I do any PP using Photoshop, all the EXIF data is stripped from the image. Is there a way I can prevent this?

05-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you saving as a JPG using the option "Save for Web..."? If so, that will strip EXIF data. Try using "Save as..." and then choose .JPG and EXIF data will be retained. I do that all the time and all my images have EXIF data.
HTH.
05-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Are you saving as a JPG using the option "Save for Web..."? If so, that will strip EXIF data. Try using "Save as..." and then choose .JPG and EXIF data will be retained. I do that all the time and all my images have EXIF data.
HTH.

Hmmm.... I tried it with all the available choices and it continues to strip all the data. Odd, that. I always save my original images, so I can always revert back to them should I NEED the data.... but just kinda' aggravating to have to do so.
05-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Hmmm.... I tried it with all the available choices and it continues to strip all the data. Odd, that. I always save my original images, so I can always revert back to them should I NEED the data.... but just kinda' aggravating to have to do so.
Photoshop certainly adds a few tags to the EXIF, but it shouldn't strip any of the existing information. Have you tried uploading a file to our exif checker before and after to compare the tags?

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it is worth if I process my raw image to tif then open in GIMP it loses the exif. But not so with jpg.
What are you processing your raws to?

Last edited by GUB; 05-03-2015 at 09:08 PM.
05-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
For what it is worth if I process my raw image to tif then open in GIMP it loses the exif. But not so with jpg.
What are you processing your raws to?

I do not shoot RAW.
05-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use CS2 and it strips the EXIF also. I shoot RAW. But saving as jpeg, and using the Save As option doesn't matter, it still strips the EXIF.

05-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A possible workaround can be an exif editor like e.g. exiftool (I'm sure there are others that offer the same functionality). You can copy the info from the original file to the processed jpeg. Yes, it adds an additional step in your workflow.

exiftool Application Documentation; COPYING EXAMPLES