Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help ! Windows wants to update itself on my PC !!

Just checked, as usual, for Windows updates but this morning this was on my computer!
((see attachment))
I certainly don't want to update to Windows 10 for the moment as I am quite happy with Win 7 64 bits.
How do I remove this or at least "contain" it until I decide what to do?
For updates that I don't want, I usually "hide" them and they would stay in the background, so to speak. But this one here ..... don't know how to avoid it and if I turn the computer OFF, it will likely automatically update. (by going to the Start button ... shows "Shut down" with that icons with an exclamation mark meaning that as soon as I hit this, it will update that unwanted Win 10.
Thanks for helping!

Last edited by jpzk; 10-16-2015 at 05:40 PM.
10-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't click the "Get Started" button. I've been getting similar messages in Win 7 for months and just ignore them.
10-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How to get rid of the 'Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready' lock | InfoWorld
10-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

This article should solve you problem. Be sure to uninstall the KBs listed and hide/decline them. Same solutions as offered on Microsoft support forums.

10-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

I did go through reading the article mentioned above and so far, I successfully "hid" the Win 10 update but it is still there "waiting in the dark".
I haven't gone through all the paces for eliminating the Win10 update file entirely, nor the notification(s), but at least for the moment it is in a dormant state.
I haven't yet rebooted the computer though .... I am presently at work and I have let the home PC "ON" until I return home later.

Should I really and totally get rid of this Win10 as shown in the article?
If I ever want to get Win 10 (likely never if I can manage to do without it), what will be involved then?

Thanks again for the help!

JP
10-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Should I really and totally get rid of this Win10 as shown in the article?
If I ever want to get Win 10 (likely never if I can manage to do without it), what will be involved then?
JP
I would recommend keeping the W10 update link on your machine. W10 offers several performance improvements over previous versions via a lighter system load footprint. However, I would not do the update until at least 6 months after initial release - bugs and driver issues should be resolved by then. If you go past 12 months from initial release, W10 will no longer be a free upgrade.

I am following W10 developments and will probably upgrade my main pc toward the end of the free (12 month period). I am also on W7 64-bit and like it a lot.
10-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #7

You can go the Microsoft website at any time and download Windows 10. This downloads a program that offers you to upgrade Win7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 or to download an installation image for a USB stick or ISO to burn a DVD. The installation disk requires an activation key. If you choose to upgrade in place you have 30 days to downgrade back to your previous OS. There is a downgrade process included. You can use the installation disk on the same machine (based on MOBO BIOS ID) to do a clean install and it will activate if you previously updated the machine. If you use the installation disk on another machine you will have to purchase an activation key.

The only way to go from a 32 bit OS to Win10 64 is to do the in place upgrade on your 32bit OS, activate and then do a clean install with the disc. Be sure to get the 64bit install disc.

------

So anyway make sure automatic updates is disabled - notify is ok - just go into the Windows Update screen and pick Show Available Updates. If Windows 10 shows up again just hide it (right click on entry - pick hide). It shouldn't show up again but if it does just hide it again.

They took this function out of Windows 10.

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-09-2015 at 09:44 AM.
10-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I am also on W7 64-bit and like it a lot.
The same here and I am hesitant to do the upgrade due to questions of driver support for my film scanners. I am using a custom driver for my Nikon 5000 ED and it is anyone's guess whether it will still work.

Steve

(yes, I know...superstitious...)
10-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Drivers that work on windows 7 should also work on windows 10. My no longer supported sound card does.
10-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
osv
Veteran Member

Windows 'snooping' and nagging patches return, including KB 3035583, KB 2952664 | InfoWorld
10-09-2015, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

I totally agree with lsimpkins suggestion to wait a little longer on the version upgrade and let it mature for while. My personal experience, upgraded from windows 7 64 bit ultimate to Windows 10 pro 64 bits, has been somewhat filled with mixed feelings.

I do like all the updates and upgrades that they have done to the OS, for the first time in a long while I found myself using windows more than I use Linux BUT (and yes there is always a but somewhere lurking around) I have had serious video driver problems that caused Windows to not be able to boot or when it did boot it would crash giving me a " Thread Stuck in Device Driver " error. After countless attempts to repair Windows and using the recovery options to do various operating system resets, I was only able to solve my problem after I did a clean reinstall of the operating system.

I even ended up having to buy a new video card (bought a cheap Nvida card after all the problems I had with the ATI drivers) to replace my costly ATI card since on one of those repair attempts the card just died on me.

And I'm not even going to go into the part that has to do with getting windows to dual boot with linux, heck I still haven't solved that and I'm booting to linux via the UEFI bios.

I had my computer very nicely tuned while I was in Windows 7 but I broke my golden rule in regards to operating systems and that is to never install a new OS until the final version has been out in the market at least 10 months or so.

Heck even this morning I had problems with windows 10 and had to boot in safe mode in order to deal with it.

So my advise to you is to just wait until the OS has had time to mature so that all the bugs and driver problems, specially with the video drivers, have been sorted and once that is done, then yes by all means do the upgrade since despite all my problems I think that this OS has some potential compared to the older versions.

Best of luck,

MasMax

Last edited by MasMax; 10-09-2015 at 03:15 PM.
10-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

(yes, I know...superstitious...)
Not superstitious at all - just appropriately cautious.
10-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I would recommend keeping the W10 update link on your machine. W10 offers several performance improvements over previous versions via a lighter system load footprint. However, I would not do the update until at least 6 months after initial release - bugs and driver issues should be resolved by then.
Yes, that is what is being done at the moment: hiding it and waiting until "further notice".
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So anyway make sure automatic updates is disabled - notify is ok - just go into the Windows Update screen and pick Show Available Updates. If Windows 10 shows up again just hide it (right click on entry - pick hide). It shouldn't show up again but if it does just hide it again.
Done! Thanks for the hints.
QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote
I totally agree with lsimpkins suggestion to wait a little longer on the version upgrade and let it mature for while. My personal experience, upgraded from windows 7 64 bit ultimate to Windows 10 pro 64 bits, has been somewhat filled with mixed feelings.
Good to know that from someone who already "tested" it !
Thanks, everyone!
10-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded the wife's machine so far after many weeks zero problems.
10-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This might work for you:

https://techjourney.net/disable-remove-get-windows-10-upgrade-reservation-no...tem-tray-icon/

Proceed at your own risk!