Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Presets for Landscapes

I was just curious what presets are you using with your landscapes? I have never used them but shopping around, there seems to be alot of them, trying to weed out a few.

Thank you

02-07-2016, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I just do not understand how this works but using presets from someone else just confuses me. I have several sets that I installed, but all it did was overwhelm me with choices. I've since deleted them all.

I prefer to use a workflow that lets me process through each photo and make decisions on how it looks at each step. Would love to understand how the preset thing would work though. I have a boat load of them.
02-07-2016, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Jatax on this. I always start out in LR and tried a few presets but always made changes anyway. Now if I have a series of photos that are similar in exposures I make the major corrections on the first one, then apply those corrections to the rest of the photos. I will then go back through and usually make minor changes if needed, or take some into PS for further development.
02-07-2016, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
I was just curious what presets are you using with your landscapes? I have never used them but shopping around, there seems to be alot of them, trying to weed out a few.

Thank you
Hi. When you say "presets", are you talking about in-camera settings or presets for software (such as Lightroom) - and, if the latter, what software are you using? Let us know and we'll try to help

02-07-2016, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Assuming you mean presets for Lightroom or similar, the short answer is "typically none". I use Lightroom and know the tool well enough that I generally get better results than those provided by presets. The big exception would be monochrome conversion in Lightroom where I use a package called "Monochrome Toolkit" (or something like that). The presets in that package allow for categorical film/filter/paper/toner emulation and they do it very well. I will post again if I find the source URL.

Steve
02-07-2016, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem with most pre-set bundles is that there are too many of them and they often do not really describe what they do. I like a great deal as well as the next and "Get 1,000 presets for $9.99" sounds like a great deal until you realize the time it would take to just look at them all much less evaluate and use them. I have studied some that I thought did interesting things just to see how it was done and learn something but in the end I've gotten rid of all of them.

I do use a few that I've developed myself for things I do a lot:
- an import preset that gets applied to everything on import.
- a' 'faded' that gives a vintage look
- a 'high contrast one' that gives a good start for images that need more dynamic range
- a split tone one that I like to use
- a 'zero' one that wipes out all changes and resets the image back to the way it came from the camera

That's about it in my tool kit. I should build some more for things but often I just forget the preset is there and do it manually anyway.
02-08-2016, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use a package called "Monochrome Toolkit" (or something like that).
Found it! The vendor is called X-Equals and the toolkit was offered as a freebie at the end of a blog post back in 2009. Towards the bottom of the page there is a download graphic (says "download the goods") to a free version of the toolkit. Highly recommended. The accompanying article, although dated, is pretty good as well.

https://x-equals.com/blog/monochrome-mojo-mixing-in-grayscale-part-2-of-2/

(Download requires registration, but nothing is truly free...)

Steve

02-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi. When you say "presets", are you talking about in-camera settings or presets for software (such as Lightroom) - and, if the latter, what software are you using? Let us know and we'll try to help
Sorry presets for Light Room, thought I would give them a try? I'am looking for landscape presets, the reason was I came across some images the were processed with" Macphun intensify enhance landscape filter" they looked really good with smooth even tones, but is for apple products. I may not use them but would like to compare the images.
02-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
a 'zero' one that wipes out all changes and resets the image back to the way it came from the camera
Ahhhh great idea -- it is so frustrating in Darktable when you want to reset the values.
I just luv the little ideas I glean from this forum --- they may be obvious tricks but when you are self taught you often miss the obvious.
02-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
they may be obvious tricks but when you are self taught you often miss the obvious.
And that's certainly the truth! I've had way too many ah-hah moments after doing something dumb for way too long.
02-08-2016, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry presets for Light Room, thought I would give them a try? I'am looking for landscape presets, the reason was I came across some images the were processed with" Macphun intensify enhance landscape filter" they looked really good with smooth even tones, but is for apple products. I may not use them but would like to compare the images.
OK... Can I ask, do you have a copy of Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC / Lightroom 6 Book" (or earlier version)? The reason I ask is this... Presets are all well and good, but they depend largely on the image you start off with. Presets are only snapshots of the various slider settings, and they will always be relative to the initial image. As a result, sometimes they'll work well, other times, not so well - and still other times, they just won't help at all. But, if you understand exactly how the various controls in Lightroom's "Develop" module work (and that is explained in just a few easy chapters of the book I mentioned; you can get through it in an "evening" or two, no pun intended), you'll have complete control over your images. Now, at that stage, it may be worth trying out some free or low-cost presets and looking at the settings... With your understanding of how each one works, you'll immediately recognise how a specific look is achieved, and you can fine-tune the settings to get the best from each specific image. I bought Lightroom 6 in April last year, and didn't get the book until quite a bit later. I'm now confident in producing pretty much any look I want to. It's very liberating, and surprisingly easy. Hope this helps.
02-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #12

Original Poster
OK... Can I ask, do you have a copy of Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC / Lightroom 6 Book" (or earlier version)? The reason I ask is this... Presets are all well and good, but they depend largely on the image you start off with. Presets are only snapshots of the various slider settings, and they will always be relative to the initial image. As a result, sometimes they'll work well, other times, not so well - and still other times, they just won't help at all. But, if you understand exactly how the various controls in Lightroom's "Develop" module work (and that is explained in just a few easy chapters of the book I mentioned; you can get through it in an "evening" or two, no pun intended), you'll have complete control over your images. Now, at that stage, it may be worth trying out some free or low-cost presets and looking at the settings... With your understanding of how each one works, you'll immediately recognise how a specific look is achieved, and you can fine-tune the settings to get the best from each specific image. I bought Lightroom 6 in April last year, and didn't get the book until quite a bit later. I'm now confident in producing pretty much any look I want to. It's very liberating, and surprisingly easy. Hope this helps.
No, I do not have that book but will take a look at it. I've heard his name several times in different post and other written material.Thank you
02-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have a preset that I typically use as a base to start with. It bumps shadows and contrast, decreases highlights and adds a little vibrance and clarity 10 or 15 of each (I don't remember). For many images, that is enough. For some, it requires more extensive editing to add a digital GND or burn or dodge a specific area of the image.
02-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think the most I've ever done is use a few of the default presets that come with LR and tweak them to fit something I would like to use.

I've actually gotten to where I have a few simple presets that I almost always apply to get basic processing 90% done, leaving sharpening, NR, and a few other items for manual work. I then have a few presets I use for "finishing" images, mostly black and whites... adding a slight color tone, etc.

Overall, I kind of hate that presets are so fixed. It would be nice to have relative adjustment as an option for presets. For instance, I like using the auto settings to quickly get the tone of an image close, but I generally like to back off the settings by fixed amounts. For instance, I like to back the exposure off by about 1/3 of a stop from what the auto uses. It would be nice to be able to dial that as a preset, but it has never been that hard to hand adjust it either.
02-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OK... Can I ask, do you have a copy of Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC / Lightroom 6 Book" (or earlier version)? The reason I ask is this... Presets are all well and good, but they depend largely on the image you start off with.
No, I do not have that book but will take a look at it. I've heard his name several times in different post and other written material.Thank you
1+ on the Martin Evening book. It is definitely worth the money.

Steve