Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-5iis how to enlarge images for artwork

Hello Shutterbugs,
I have come across a place I would like to upload some of my images to be printed on products. I have not done that before, and attached is their guidelines of how large the artwork has to be for printing on different items.

You will notice the pixel sizes are large. But the maximum output of my camera is: 4928 px x 3264 px.
Surely their artists don't use large format cameras?
So I wonder, how do people enlarge their artwork to fit the requirements as well as print at 300dpi?
In general if I wanted to print my photographs on canvas, etc, how would I even go about re-sizing?
I have done it at work once for an image with special software, which somehow makes up the pixels.

I have latest Lightroom and Photoshop-so if it is possible there, I'll do it. But all I know is the regular resizing, which ultimately looses resolution upon enlarging.

Thank you!!
Kat

Attached Images

02-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You don't enlarge unless you really know what you're doing and think you'll do better than the printer himself.
Those sizes are just theoretical for 300dpi impression but 300dpi on canvas? on fabric?

If the printer site ask to only have 300dpi file your only way is to use interpolation (you'll increase file resolution but not your image res) or to stitch images together. Making a pano or stacking images if you really need the 300dpi for this size but I doubt it, try to stay above 150dpi and you should be fine.

Last edited by Glorfindelrb; 02-09-2016 at 09:41 AM.
02-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

those are some weird requirements. 10500 x 10500?????

for what it's worth, your K5iis shoots at 240ppi (RAW).

when I had one (k5iis), I would finish all my post processing then crop and save the .psd at 18x12 @ 300 ppi (5400x3600) using the bicubic sharper algorithm. If I was cropping for content, I'd crop to whatever size @ 300 ppi. That's not really much in the way of upsizing from a base of 4928x3264, so it really won't do much in the way of degrading image quality except on very extreme crops. (I have a k5iis image on my wall right now that's a single image cropped and then enlarged to 48x18. There's no loss in detail.) Since I deal mainly with print and fine art, that covers 90% of my needs (and publisher requirements).

p.s. I used to work for a graphic design company that sold all kinds of custom imaged t-shirts and other apparel, a few of those dimensions seem HUGE.

Last edited by nomadkng; 02-09-2016 at 09:54 AM.
02-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those look like they just took the dimensions and multiplied by 300 dpi. Which is OK as a general rule not strange they stick to that across the board. Different products usually have different requirements. For example the place that prints my canvas says 150dpi is fine and they can work with 100dpi if they have to.

You can upsize if they need it but IMHO, something is not right with those numbers. Maybe give them a call and discuss or send them some sample images to get an idea how they would work.

02-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I too would call them to find out what they have in mind. Do come back here and let us know what you find....
02-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Oh, I see- it seems that everyone things these dimensions are way too huge- i think so too. 5000x5000 for a napkin sounds too large.
I'm gonna look into this and let you guys know:-) Thank you for all advice!
02-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One approach is to shoot a suitable number of overlapping images and stitch.
I just completed a project of this nature to test the viability of this approach for an artist who's previous approach was to have a lab shoot with a large format film camera, then scan the result to provide an image file for printing.
The result was excellent.

Cheers,
Terry

02-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A long time ago I saw a site that did something similar; asking for everything to be at 240 dpi or larger. It then allowed them to make a disclaimer if you didn't submit at that size.

There are a lot of good threads on this forum about this, but the larger the final size, the less dpi you need. You aren't really going to be looking at a large image up close anyway. I think the only time I've ever enlarged an image for resolution was in one case a site wouldn't let me submit if my images were less than 150 dpi, and I think I was at around 140, so I enlarged the image a bit using Photoshop (up to 150 dpi). I played around with the settings a tad until I was happy. Everything printed out fine. I highly doubt I would have seen a difference if I didn't resize it, but it satisfied their requirements.