Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lightroom Noise Reduction

I noticed something strange tonight while playing with Lightroom's noise reduction. It seems to work in the develop module, but when I switch to the library the adjustment seems to vanish! See attached images.

Attached Images

02-14-2016, 01:25 AM   #2

i don't see more noise, just more banding
02-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, your right banding. Why so clean in develop, and so full of banding when you hit library?
02-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had a look at a couple of my images and I am see exactly the same type of thing. The image in the develop module is cleaner than the same image viewed in the Library module. Weird. I had a couple of possibilities in my head but they have all gone out the window now. Time to hit google.

02-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightroom holds its previews as compressed files to speed its ability to render images. It's in preferences somewhere what is being used. It's a trade off between screen display quality, hard disk usage and cpu usage. I think all you are seeing is banding from JPEG compression in similarly toned areas. Try a good quality full size export and I suspect it will look fine.
02-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just to add on to southlander's post, you do have some control over the Library's preview quality under Edit > Catalog Settings > File Handling. After changing these settings you need to rebuild the previews to see any difference, under Library > Previews. Try aiming at a higher quality to see if things change, and a resolutions appropriate for your monitor so the Library module isn't down or up sampling on the fly (this can also cause ugly rendering in some programs). The "1:1 Previews" are for pixel peeping in the Library module.
02-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Just to add on to southlander's post, you do have some control over the Library's preview quality under Edit > Catalog Settings > File Handling. After changing these settings you need to rebuild the previews to see any difference, under Library > Previews. Try aiming at a higher quality to see if things change, and a resolutions appropriate for your monitor so the Library module isn't down or up sampling on the fly (this can also cause ugly rendering in some programs). The "1:1 Previews" are for pixel peeping in the Library module.
Thanks I'll try this today! Never had this in Aperature.

02-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Curiouser and curiouser.

There is a fair bit of google traffic on this topic. I have found one response that appeared, at first sight, to offer a logical explanation "The sharpening applied in Develop module is input sharpening and not reflected in the Library module". I find this difficult to accept. Every other develop module alteration is reflected faithfully in the library module so why the banding after sharpening and Noise reduction?

I have tried another image where the sharpening, noise reduction is faithfully reproduced in the library module with no noticeable banding or other ill effects. Still puzzled.
02-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Curiouser and curiouser.

There is a fair bit of google traffic on this topic. I have found one response that appeared, at first sight, to offer a logical explanation "The sharpening applied in Develop module is input sharpening and not reflected in the Library module". I find this difficult to accept. Every other develop module alteration is reflected faithfully in the library module so why the banding after sharpening and Noise reduction?

I have tried another image where the sharpening, noise reduction is faithfully reproduced in the library module with no noticeable banding or other ill effects. Still puzzled.
Yes, it is very puzzling! Did you read the post up the list about rebuilding the previews? I'm going to try this on some images today.
02-15-2016, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rebuilding previews had no effect for me.

This link How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it?s corrupted? provides what seems to be the answer to me. Or at least a start to it. I have calibrated my monitor in the past but the calibration profile seems to be missing or broken. Resetting to sRGB IE61966-2.1 and all images I tried it on look exactly the same in Develop and Library modules. I guess I have to recalibrate my monitor and ensure everything is correct.