Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

AfterShot Pro 3 & Capture One PEF DNG problems

So I just downloaded the trial of AfterShot Pro 3 and I can't get it to recognize either a PEF or a DNG shot with my K-70.....am I just being a total noob here and missing something in the program? Seems like it shouldn't be this difficult.

Also Capture One can't see my PEF either, but will see my DNG's......ugh

Any help is appreciated.

08-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It should see them just finemy copies of after shot 2 and 3 see dng without issue. I have never tried pef. That being said aftershot pro 3 has issues with the programming. I was stay away from it until they get an update out to fix it's multitude of issues. There was another thread about windows not recognizing the dng from a k-70 as well. Others needed download a codec to get it to work. Search the forums it should be here.

Last edited by W.j.christy; 08-29-2016 at 05:42 AM.
08-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't support your camera. It doesn't support my 3 year old K-S1 either. I had to stop using Aftershot Pro because they made a decision to stop supporting the newer Pentax cameras, years ago.
I contacted their support and they said I should make a request through their site and if there was enough demand for a specific camera, they would consider adding it "in a future release".
Now to me that was just a polite way of saying "screw you Pentax users" so I made the move to Rawtherapee. Which is a free, faster, much more stable and better featured software anyway. I do miss the easy Aftershot layout and the Perfectly Clear algorythm. In every other aspect, Rawtherapee is better I think. There's a film simulation pack for it (halclut) that has a few fantastic options.
08-29-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If your staying away from Adobe products you can try Paint Shop Pro or ACDSee Pro. Both will open .dng files, Catalog them, and are Pixel Editors also. ACDSee will do RAW file adjustments with out altering the original file.You can roll back to the original or undo at any time. Paint Shop Pro will take Adobe plugins, ACDSee will Not.

Like C.R says ASP is very slow to update supported cameras. Why they choose to take .dng files and make them Camera Specific is beyond me.

08-29-2016, 05:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

ASP is not only slow to update cameras. They decided to no longer support Pentax unless there's a lot of requests. Which won't happen honestly because the software isn't worth it even compared to free alternatives.
08-29-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It doesn't support your camera. It doesn't support my 3 year old K-S1 either. I had to stop using Aftershot Pro because they made a decision to stop supporting the newer Pentax cameras, years ago.
I contacted their support and they said I should make a request through their site and if there was enough demand for a specific camera, they would consider adding it "in a future release".
Now to me that was just a polite way of saying "screw you Pentax users" so I made the move to Rawtherapee. Which is a free, faster, much more stable and better featured software anyway. I do miss the easy Aftershot layout and the Perfectly Clear algorythm. In every other aspect, Rawtherapee is better I think. There's a film simulation pack for it (halclut) that has a few fantastic options.
I don't believe that to be correct, the .DNG file format is a fairly universal format for raw files supports by most photo software companies. I believe you may be thinking of the original aftershot pro.

That being said Aftershot Pro 2 & 3 support files from my K-3 (approximately the same age as your K-S1) and have added support for the K-1 within the meta data files in aftershot pro 3. I know this because I currently have both programs as well as Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X8 and X9 loaded on my computer.

Unfortunately, aftershot pro 3 is a bit buggy and there have been several reported issues with it and people who use Canikon and Sony reporting issues loading images.(this is from the corel forum). I have also experienced some issues loading images but can assure after a bit of fiddling they do load.

My suggestion is to stay away from aftershot pro 3 for now until the updated version comes out (aftershot pro 3.2 if it follows the same order that aftershot pro 2 did)
08-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #7

Works a bit

Prompted me to try this out on my version AS-2. I have a K-S2 and use DNG, I can process shots upto a certain date and then mysteriously will not after a date. The latest ones, I select the file as usual, then nothing happens; in that the file selection window closes as usual, there is no error message, the program carries on as usual except there is no picture to work on.

08-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Prompted me to try this out on my version AS-2. I have a K-S2 and use DNG, I can process shots upto a certain date and then mysteriously will not after a date. The latest ones, I select the file as usual, then nothing happens; in that the file selection window closes as usual, there is no error message, the program carries on as usual except there is no picture to work on.
Interesting. I did look at the website for AS-2 and it shows up to the K-3 but not the Ks-2, whats funny is that paint shop pro x9 lists the KS-2 as supported.... Hmm perhaps I was mistaken about AS-2/3.
08-29-2016, 07:09 AM   #9

Sorry I don't think I made it clear. My earlier K-S2 shots it will work on. That is the reason I selected DNG to try and get around the problem of supported cameras. It is just after a certain date the program will not work. Luckily faststone does not bother with any of the supported camera stuff. It just works of PEF or DNG as needed.

Update; loaded the latest update release, linux version, and the latest Pentax cameras are NOT supported. Even though the release was 9 months after the release of them K-S2 etc.

Last edited by fb_penpho; 08-30-2016 at 12:38 AM.
08-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

ASP uses some proprietary code for .dng files. Until they update the supported cameras, you're out of luck. Several years ago one of the folks on the ASP forum found a work a round. You have to go into a meta data editor and rename the camera to one that is supported IIRC. You'll have to search the forum to find it. I like Corel products but not enough to Edit Metadata to use them.......LOL
08-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does surprise me the lack of support for the newer pentax cameras in ASP, like i mentioned above they do support most models for Paint shop Pro. Which means they have the licensing or programming or whatever to make it work with ASP.
08-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Corel bought Bibble and turned it into ASP. The code is different than PSP or Corel Photo Paint. Can't mix the 2. Got to reading about ASP3 after it wouldn't open my KS2 files. Looks like they've changed some code so that it's easier to get new camera models without redoing the program. Put a 'Get More Stuff' button option that you can click and download Camera profiles and goodie Without having a program update.
At least they're faster with updates than Bibble was
08-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My recollection when investigating ASP-2 and Bibble before that was that they did not fully support DNG files. What this meant was that if you created a DNG file using Adobe's DNG coverter it wouldn't work. Their support for DNG files was limited to cameras that created DNG files, which I read as being a list of cameras they deemed to create DNG files.

Now, the first time I investigated, my camera was the K10d. That camera (like many Pentax cameras) had the option of taking PEF or DNG format files. At the time I was mostly using RawTherapee and Silkypix Pro, but I was new to PP and was looking for other software. I had also been playing with shooting both file formats and then converted some PEF files to DNG format since DNG support was a bit better at the time.

What I found with Bibble and later ASP was that the DNG files I converted from PEF were not supported while the DNG files directly from the camera were. I don't know what specific about the files the program wasn't looking for, but the company as a whole were rigid about not supporting DNG files from Adobe's converter as it said they were too difficult to support.

Unfortunately, I think that limitation is what creates all the issues with camera support now. ASP doesn't universally support DNG files, and I suspect it limits support through an internal system that essentially white lists cameras that it will support DNG files for. I also don't think it is as simple as metadata since files converted from PEF to DNG were not supported. I think I even tried wiping the data from the converted DNG and copying the exact metadata from another DNG file.

Ultimately, I don't think I'd ever recommend ASP as it seems inconsistent and Corel hasn't seemed to make any effort to improve it. It doesn't even work consistently with Paint Shop Pro, which is also under Corel's umbrella. I understand that the software may be under different developers, but what's the point of a large company buying software and not having them communicate with eachother. LightRoom is similar, but Adobe has put an effort to make sure that Photoshop and LR can work together (via ACR).
08-31-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Here is the list of supported cameras, from the Corel website: K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K110D, K20D, K200D, K2000, *ist D, *ist DL, *IST DL2, *ist DS, *ist DS2, K-01, K-3, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-50, K-500, K-7, K-30, K-m, K-r, K-x, MX-1, Q, Q7, Q10, 645D, 645Z

RAW converter, RAW Photo Editing Software - Corel AfterShot Pro 3 - Formerly Bibble

I don't see the K-1, K-70, K-S1 or K-S2 in that list... which is why I went to RawTherapee.

Having said that, I'm considering Paint Shop Pro in the future... because I do like Corel, even though I think they're not investing as much as they should on Aftershot Pro.
08-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I wonder (and no one here may know the answer) whether anyone has seen evidence that PSP is incorporating features from ASP? Perhaps this is why there is seemingly little progress in ASP? I've not checked out PSP in ages. I wasn't too impressed when I got a copy of the X2 version years ago, but based on that number and the current number, things may be quite different now.