Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 03:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What has happened to dxomark?

Like many others, I would be interested what dxomark has to say about the K1, and I know that they seem to have delayed or not posted certain other Pentax camera reviews, and that the K1 test probably isn't due yet, but other than that, my question is:

They don't seem to have posted ANYTHING for more than a month?! Are they closing down? Or is there some other sensible explanation..?

(Also, I know that people have a lot of different opinions about dxomark, and if one should look at them or not and alternatives, and how reliable, partial they are etc. etc, but this question is not about that, so please have those discussions in separate threads.)

(Mods: I don't know where to put this, but dxo is for processing so...feel free to move this if wrong section!)

08-30-2016, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
They don't seem to have posted ANYTHING for more than a month?! Are they closing down? Or is there some other sensible explanation..?
They got the K1 to test, and the dynamic range went to the roof, the lab exploded and they now have to rescale all their charts.
08-30-2016, 04:23 AM   #3
Forum Member

Holidays??
08-30-2016, 04:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as they are still selling stuff, you probably don't need to worry.

08-30-2016, 05:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hadn't noticed but my main use of them is reference for older cameras and the processing suite. I have DXO_10 and they have been promoting an upgrade to DXO_11 that I have been resisting. They seem fully engaged at some levels - perhaps they are overwhelmed working on new profiles for DXO_11 etc.
08-30-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like many others, I would be interested what dxomark has to say about the K1, and I know that they seem to have delayed or not posted certain other Pentax camera reviews, and that the K1 test probably isn't due yet, but other than that, my question is:

(Also, I know that people have a lot of different opinions about dxomark, and if one should look at them or not and alternatives, and how reliable, partial they are etc. etc, but this question is not about that, so please have those discussions in separate threads.)

(Mods: I don't know where to put this, but dxo is for processing so...feel free to move this if wrong section!)
What, you trust DXO?
08-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the French take the month of August off.
Expect to see things return to "normal" in September.

Michael

08-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

They tested the 645Z ... ask 'em when they're finally going to display the results!

08-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, I guess MJSfoto1956 was the winner =)!

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
What, you trust DXO?
=) Well, that's why the disclaimer about those parts in another thread (but well, when they finally DO publish stuff, I trust the numbers in the subcharts, as for the text and total scoring, so-so...)

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
the French take the month of August off.
Expect to see things return to "normal" in September.

Michael
Ah, that could explain it. I know that many countries have August as the main vacation month but for it to be "so thoroughly implemented" by that entire part of the company was a surpise.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
They tested the 645Z ... ask 'em when they're finally going to display the results!
I know (about the remark in the Sony review), but I guess they can blame "not covering MF anymore" there, but the K1 should be harder to dodge I hope...
08-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I know (about the remark in the Sony review), but I guess they can blame "not covering MF anymore" there, but the K1 should be harder to dodge I hope...

Oh, they had actual measurements in the Sony review, then pulled them, for whatever reasons, Igor.

What is the source of the 'not covering MF anymore' quote? They do mobile phones, and actually tested the 645Z.
08-30-2016, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon forgot to send the check?
08-31-2016, 12:31 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, they had actual measurements in the Sony review, then pulled them, for whatever reasons, Igor.

What is the source of the 'not covering MF anymore' quote? They do mobile phones, and actually tested the 645Z.
Sorry, no real source there, just speculation (and I think they haven't had any MF for a few years published?).

It was just someone commenting in another thread about the 645Z review not being published that they might have stopped covering MF, maybe after the Z tests were done, or maybe they waited until they had a whole group of MFs with the Hasselblad and some other new one, but that was a while ago, so waiting for the group-explanation isn't valid anymore so just the "not doing MF" may be the case I thought.
08-31-2016, 12:54 AM   #13
Banned

I did notice that too. They haven't tested many camera's this year. Or didn't publish. Maybe they are closing down or some reorganisation is going on. Not enough advertisements maybe for the site to put effort into it.
09-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #14

Original Poster
Now we're almost one week into September, still nothing since 28 Jul..Any other ideas?

Perhaps the K1 forced them to have to create a new scoring system to avoid placing it on top so they have to re-test all/many cameras? =)
09-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DxOmark was always a sideshow for them. It wouldn't surprise me that they eventually abandon it as it doesn't make them any money. This August, DxO release a bunch of (much needed) accessories for their DxO One camera, which surprised me. And I have noticed that they continue to add lenses to their "supported cameras" section of their website. So they are definitely active, perhaps DxOmark has had its day in the sun...

M