Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Microsoft Surface Studio just made the iMac look 20 years old

Microsoft's Surface Studio is a stunning desktop computer - The Verge

10-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But it still runs Window$. Also, $3000 for a Core i5 with 8 GB RAM. The configuration demonstrated is $4200.

iMacs are due for a refresh. The last update was a year ago.

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-26-2016 at 11:48 AM.
10-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sigh... Here we go
10-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I saw this also and found it very interesting, although the price is out of my reach.
The best part is, you can lay it down and use touch screen to retouch the photo. Much easier and more accurate then using a mouse or a touchpad.
Mac does not have touch screen and they said touch is silly on desktop, so probably won't be such thing in apple store soon.
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But it still runs Window$
-- I found it as a beautiful thing. win 10 supports transition between desktop and touch pad freely, which makes touch screen a great tool. I am working on an iMac, 4K screen. I found the display is way too contrasty and it hard to get it right.

10-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But it still runs Window$. Also, $3000 for a Core i5 with 8 GB RAM. The configuration demonstrated is $4200.

iMacs are due for a refresh. The last update was a year ago.
Yeah the price is out of my range and I've already bought a new laptop and desktop this year, so I'm not going to get one. But the idea of tilting that screen down like a drafting table (I used to be a draftsperson) and using a pen and that context-sensitive knob to do localized edits in Lightroom or Photoshop is very appealing. I already use a Wacom tablet for that stuff, but doing it right on the photo itself would be pretty cool.

And MacOS vs Win10? I use both nearly every day. Once you set up Win10 to your liking and get the drivers sorted, it's fast, stable, and customizable. The gap between OSes shrinks each iteration.
10-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, thats the first MS computer that's seemed interesting in a very long time.

I've been wondering for years why Apple doesn't have touchscreen & stylus support for all their devices. (well, all the ones with screens, at least).
The dial seems more like an irritating gimmick, cool to look at but awkward to use, but who knows?

But I'd settle for Apple releasing an updated 17 inch or larger Macbook Pro with a touchscreen that can also use the ipad pro stylus.

If the surface studio has stuff on it that make it useful for programming, too, though, I might consider getting one. At least then I could thoroughly justify writing it off as a business expense.

---------- Post added 10-26-16 at 04:57 PM ----------

really? I haven't tried 10. 8 was just utter hell, but I stopped using PCs except at work before 8 came out, and all my clients have stayed on 7.
10-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I can build a better PC with half the money, ofcourse it wont look as good as the Surface (or mac) just add Linux and voila! The best computer who cant handle Ps o Lr....

10-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I can build a better PC with half the money, of course it wont look as good as the Surface (or mac) just add Linux and voila! The best computer who cant handle Ps o Lr....
Including the giant touch screen, the tilting mechanism, and all that?

Do you also have a toaster that can run Doom?

---------- Post added 10-26-16 at 05:00 PM ----------

(by the way, the imac *is* almost 20 years old. The first one was in 1998.)
10-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Can't wait to look at these when I get home. I think there's an Apple event tomorrow where we should see the new Mac offerings. Will be interesting... these two giants can finally battle it out with their own hardware and software.
10-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Including the giant touch screen, the tilting mechanism, and all that?

Do you also have a toaster that can run Doom?

---------- Post added 10-26-16 at 05:00 PM ----------

(by the way, the imac *is* almost 20 years old. The first one was in 1998.)
A wacom digitalizer and a dell IPS tiltable screen can do the work

Im shure i can put an arduino and a small display taped in the toaster for Doom

10-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
we should see the new Mac offerings
Apple doesn't want touch on their computers to compete with their iPad. I remember Apple said touch screen would not show on mac, and OS X does not support touch.

---------- Post added 10-26-16 at 04:15 PM ----------

I built a touch screen "thing" around a raspberry but no one want to buy it at the price of an iPhone or a Note 5
10-26-2016, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I have a Wacom tablet and a Dell IPS screen. It's way better than a mouse but doing something like a Photoshop/Lightroom mask with a pen right on the photo sounds positively dreamy.
10-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't really care for touchscreens. My Surface Pro 4 has it but I honestly still use the touchpad and switch to the stylus when I need some precision. It's a feature that I'd rather not pay for. Besides I hate leaving oils and fingerprints on my display.

However my opinion on touchscreen might change after I look at these videos, depending what they did with it. We'll see.
10-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

p.s. the only time I find the touchscreen useful is when the keyboard is folded back or detached from the Surface Pro so that I'm using it like a tablet. But that is rare.
10-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I have a Wacom tablet and a Dell IPS screen. It's way better than a mouse but doing something like a Photoshop/Lightroom mask with a pen right on the photo sounds positively dreamy.
A wacom Cintiq HD can do something about that and (possibly) with better result as they have more sensitive than the stylus on the surface... Of course i cant afford or justify the purchase.