Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Did you buy Photoshop, or pirate it?
Yes, I pirated it and I'm proud of it! 710.14%
Yes, I pirated it, but only because it's so overpriced! 2130.43%
I did, but don't now! 1927.54%
No, I don't even take hotel toiletries! 2231.88%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop Paid for or Pirated?

I've been dying to ask... So, please be honest or don't participate as the accuracy of the poll depends on it... But, uh a lot of folks here running Photoshop...

So, fess up... Did you buy it, or steal it?

I'll start... I've run pirated CS2 briefly in the past. I chose to rid myself of it and now use OpenSource/Free software rather than pirating PS.

What say you?

Regards,
Mike

07-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
I'll start... I've run pirated CS2 briefly in the past. I chose to rid myself of it and now use OpenSource/Free software rather than pirating PS.
The same here.
07-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Banned

Adobe is well aware of the number of pirated copies of PS out there.

PS6: got that with my first (personal) computer (thanks Gateway!)
PS7: pirated
PSCS2: pirated
PSCS3: paid for (my brothers student discount)
Lightroom: Paid for (same as above)
I currently run Nik software's 'Complete Collection' in Lightroom (also paid for)

I rarely use PS anymore.
07-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, no pirates for me.
Have always had PS (starting with 7, then CS2, then CS3) by virtue of my graphic designer Mrs. demanding it for her work at home.

Though I don't have the network to be able to source out a pirated copy anyway

07-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Same story here. Although I stopped back in the days of Photoshop 4.
07-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

I didn't answer in the poll because I DO take hotel toiletries. I paid for those!! I run CS4 design premium as I use InDesign rather extensively for design work and Illustrator to a lesser degree. And yes I paid for it. But I did cheat a bit and used one of my kids' school IDs to get the educational version. However, to feel good about myself I have used them to help with school projects on occassion so technically I'm not TOTALLY cheating.
07-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #7

I did pay but like those before me, I cheated and used my brothers educational discount to purchase the Design Standard Suite. I had a "borrowed" copy of PS7 from work along with Illustrator and QuarkXpress for a while but my Dell died and I went Mac at home. Oh, and I answered "no" in the survey but I do take the toiletries that I use while staying at a hotel, the ones I don't, I leave!

07-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Mine is pirated. I can justify it by saying that I only use it for recreational use. If I was a pro I would buy it.
07-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've paid for - or received with hardware - several copies of Elements, both PC and Mac.

I did get a pirated copy of CS3, which I don't use extensively. As it turns out this probably doesn't matter, as if/when I spring for a full upgrade to the current version, the Elements counts...
07-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
Forum Member

no pirated copies for me, although I do take the toiletries...

The hotels want you to take them. That way when you use them at home you remember your visit. Its a marketing tactic.
07-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I drive a 20+ year old car that I paid for, but I am thinking about stealing a new Porsche because the bastards charge too much for them.
07-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photoshop is paid for, but I do have some hotel towels around the house.
07-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
emr

I've run pirated CS2 briefly in the past. I chose to rid myself of it and now use OpenSource/Free software rather than pirating PS.
My situation resambles this a bit. Though I'm not sure if I've ever used PS really, but my PP software years ago was Paint Shop Pro and it wasn't quite kosher. Nowadays I don't use either a pirated PS, a bought PS or free software but ended up paying for a cheap alternative (PhotoLine in this case).
07-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

I've used pirated copies of PS until I switched to Linux. Even though versions 7 to CS 2 work here flawlessly, I just prefer the Gimp nowadays.
07-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
graphicgr8s

Mine is paid for but we are part of the Adobe Partners Network so it's steeply discounted for the premium collection.

I use Indesign and PS heavily in my field. And we have to keep up with our clients so we always have the latest versions.