Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ACDSee to support K-7 RAW format?

I've downloaded ACDSee Pro 3, to see if it adds something to my LR2.5 environment, after waiting a long time for it to catalog the files (including RAW previews), I discovered that only my K10D raw images were processed.
And the ACDSee website is clear, no support of K-7 raw files....

Does anybody know if / when ACDSee will support the K-7?

- Bert

10-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

They generally release new RAW updates every few months to deal with the most recent cameras. I forget when the last one was, but I'd assume the K-7 would be in the next batch whenever that turns out to be - presumably fairly soon.

Meanwhile, DNG should work now, BTW - either in-camase or converting your existing PEF files to DNG using the free Adobe converter. Although I gather some have had some sort of minor issue with this (something not quite working as it should; I don't remember what). Also, it does happen that processing applied to DNG files before a camera is officially supposrted can sometimes look different once the support is added, although it appears with Pro 3 there are some changes to how they handle the camera-specific pre-processing, so maybe that won't be an issue any more. It would be interesting to find out...
10-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
They generally release new RAW updates every few months to deal with the most recent cameras. I forget when the last one was, but I'd assume the K-7 would be in the next batch whenever that turns out to be - presumably fairly soon.
Thanks Marc,

I'll wait instead of converting all my PEF data into DNG. Too much files, too much resources and I don't know if I'm going to like ACDSee at all.
The first impression is that importing raw files with previews takes a lot of time...

- Bert
10-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

you could try converting just a few PEF's to DNG so you can play with the program meanwhile to get a sense of how you'll like it.

FWIW, I don't have ACDSee generate previews on import with my K200D - there's no real point. ACDSee can display the camera-generated preview instantly while browsing, and that's generally good enough. It generates new previews for me if I actually do any processing. if for some reaosn I need to see ACDSee-generated previews for files I don't plan on processing, I can always have ACDSee generate them later.

11-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #5

I was using acdsee pro 2.5 with my k100d till I went for a K-7.... bye bye acdsee... I am using Irfanview and tried out Adobe's raw to dng converter. The results with Adobe's converter do not work perfectly for me, many pictures suffer darkening... I don't know why..