Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mass photos resizer?

Is there any mass photo resizer? I have a ton of shots I took with my cam today and I just got done post-processing most of it, the problem is I tried saving time by quickly saving it to jpeg after PP'ing. They are all around 4,000 by 3,000 resolution, is there a way to quickly resize them all without having to load them on photoshop and saving it one by one after resizing it's width to 1024?

10-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

download the trial version of ACDSEE Pro, and do a batch edit.
It's options will either allow you to save as the same file, as in overwrite the image or save under a different name.
10-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Write an action in Photoshop and then run it as a batch process. This will do the same thing as the previous poster has suggested, but you won't need to download/install/learn new software.
10-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Moved to Post Processing

10-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #5

I use the resizer from FastStone, very flexible FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
10-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #6

If you have Photoshop CS3, there is a beautiful little script called Image Processor. Go to File > Scripts > Image Processor.... It's pretty self-explanatory. It's great that you can use it to run additional Actions that you might have in Photoshop and can even choose to include the ICC profile.
10-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_A Quote
If you have Photoshop CS3, there is a beautiful little script called Image Processor. Go to File > Scripts > Image Processor.... It's pretty self-explanatory. It's great that you can use it to run additional Actions that you might have in Photoshop and can even choose to include the ICC profile.
I'd forgotten about that. It exists in CS4, but not CS. I don't know if it's in CS2, I have CS, 3 and 4 installed at the moment (don't ask, I'm lazy about deleting old programs)

10-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're a cheap geek, errr. . . if you prefer command-line driven open-source software, you could use the mogrify command of the imagemagick package

ImageMagick: Command-line Tools: Mogrify

(hint: copy the originals to another directory first!)
10-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In Picasa you can select a group of images and choose file>export. You get to specify size and jpeg quality. That's free and easy if you already use Picasa.
10-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find Picasa resizer code to be pretty bad (produces unsharp photos, etc.). Give pixwizard (www.pixvision.com) a try ;-)
10-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
If you're a cheap geek, errr. . . if you prefer command-line driven open-source software, you could use the mogrify command of the imagemagick package
Cheap geek here !

I use convert instead of mogrify to write the resized image to a new file. I also sharpen the resized image, and add a simple border to it at the same time.

The command I use is equivalent to this:
Code:
convert  filename.jpg\
-resize 800x800 \
\( +clone \
-colorspace HSB -channel Luminance -separate -colorspace gray +channel -unsharp 0x2.0+0.5+0.0 \
-compose Luminize -composite \
\) \
-bordercolor white -border 1 \
-bordercolor black -border 19 \
filename-web.jpg
Basically:
  1. Resize the image to 800x800
  2. Apply "smart sharpening" (i.e. USM on a grayscale version of the luminance channel)
  3. Add a 1-pixel white border
  4. Add a 19-pixel black border around the white one
  5. Write to a new file

This is all wrapped in a script that process a list of files I give it, with the size and borders all configurable on the command-line.

I don't mind making the script available if someone wants it, but it is meant for Linux systems. It *might* work under Cygwin bash shell in Windows, but I have not tested it.
10-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

People, can none of you read? The guy already has Photoshop, and Photoshop can do what he wants seamlessly, automatically and quickly. What's with all the recommendations for downloading, installing and learning how to use software that won't do the job as well?
Lets show a little bit of common sense here and tell the guy how to do it with the tools he has on hand.
How many posts does it take to tell him how to do this?
Other than Rich_A and myself, no one has given him information that is really useful, and my information was a little less than useful, though hopefully it would kickstart him to learn how to fish.
10-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Elements 6 has a batch processing built right in. Just put all the photo's you want processed in a seperate folder, go to process multiple files click open folder and it will ask where the folder is located. Find folder click open and let it do its thing. Will take some time to do a large bunch but one hell of a lot faster than doing one at a time Two options I normally use is resize and sharpening. Any major rework has to be done before hand.
10-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Is there any mass photo resizer? I have a ton of shots I took with my cam today and I just got done post-processing most of it, the problem is I tried saving time by quickly saving it to jpeg after PP'ing. They are all around 4,000 by 3,000 resolution, is there a way to quickly resize them all without having to load them on photoshop and saving it one by one after resizing it's width to 1024?
You should simply record an Photoshop action with one image. Don't forget to include a change of the colour space, when saving as JPG. JPGs should use sRGB, whereas with TIFFs or PSDs or RAWs you probably work in AdobeRGB or ProPhoto. Change the colour space with the EDIT/Convert to Profile command. This is the best way to keep the colours as they appear to your eye. You can include that into your action. After you recorded that action, you simply open the Bacth processing dialogue, choose your action and can define input and output folders. It is quite easy to do.

Ben