Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
[SOLD] Pentax SMC 300mm f/4 M42 Lens, Excellent Condition and Complete, WORLDWIDE SHI

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax SMC 300mm f/4 M42 Lens, Excellent Condition and Complete, WORLDWIDE SHIP

Asking Price
USD$275

Item Description
Up for sale is an Asahi Pentax 300mm f/4 M42-mount lens. This is NOT the cheaper single-coated Super Takumar version that you see everywhere.

It is complete with original front and rear caps, hard leather case, and tripod collar. Everything is in mint condition except for some small dents on the lens shade, some small wear where the tripod collar attaches, and 1 or 2 specs of internal dust. Definitely an A, but not quite A+. What you see on the front of the lens is a small amount of dust that only shows up because of the fired flash. It is not permanent, and it is definitely not nicks/scratches.

I post worldwide. If you have any questions, please ask here. PM me if you are interested. Thanks!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Excellent

Item Location
Connecticut, USA

Shipping Charge
$14 USA, $36/$44 Worldwide

Shipping Services
USPS

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal, Domestic Postal Money Order.

Additional Details
$14 domestic shipping is Priority Mail 2-3 days tracked/insured
$36 int'l shipping is Priority Mail 6-12 days tracked/insured
$44 int'l shipping is Express Mail 2-6 days tracked/insured

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by wallyb; 12-31-2008 at 05:13 PM.
12-21-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
I've had one of these since about 1974, bought brand new. Cost me three weeks' wages then, but still worth every cent.

Images are brilliant: sharp with very good contrast.

You'll need the tripod collar on the lens, a fair bit of the time - it's a sizable piece of glass and metal. Nonetheless, it's still hand-holdable for fast ISO settings (I've used it for aerial displays where that's de rigeur), but you should expect better results on a tripod in other situations, naturally.

Highly recommend it for the modern cameras, or the older ones.
12-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I've had one of these since about 1974, bought brand new. Cost me three weeks' wages then, but still worth every cent.

Images are brilliant: sharp with very good contrast.

You'll need the tripod collar on the lens, a fair bit of the time - it's a sizable piece of glass and metal. Nonetheless, it's still hand-holdable for fast ISO settings (I've used it for aerial displays where that's de rigeur), but you should expect better results on a tripod in other situations, naturally.

Highly recommend it for the modern cameras, or the older ones.
Thank you for the kind review of the lens, Rob! I was very surprised at just how light and hand-holdable this lens was for the length and aperture combination. No problems at as low as 1/100s most of the time, especially with the built-in image stabilization of newer pentax digitals.
12-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to assist, Wally. I haven't done any side-by-side tests using the K20D's anti-shake system on and off tripod, but your comments have spurred me to think about it, now.

Incidentally, have you replaced, or are you looking to replace this with an AF equivalent, or has it just been under-utilised for a while? If the former, which lens?

Cheers (and a free bump)

Rob

12-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perfect for spotting lovely little birdies! Aw just imagine them, so adorable, with snow on their feathers. Those images can be yours!
12-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Price lowered!

Price lowered!

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Glad to assist, Wally. I haven't done any side-by-side tests using the K20D's anti-shake system on and off tripod, but your comments have spurred me to think about it, now.

Incidentally, have you replaced, or are you looking to replace this with an AF equivalent, or has it just been under-utilised for a while? If the former, which lens?

Cheers (and a free bump)

Rob
Oh sorry Rob, I missed your question entirely. I would like to eventually replace this lens, but as it is I rather need the money more than the lens
01-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Free bump, if needed

...and I missed your response, Wally. Thanks.

Hope you get your newer glass before too much longer.

Rob