Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Possible to mount a ring flash to a reverse mounted Takumar 50 1.4 screw mount lens.

I have been taking macro photos using my old Ricoh k mount bellows. I have reverse mounted my Takumar 50 1.4 8 element using a K mount to 49mm reverse adapter. I wanted to use my ring flash with this lens. I discovered that a 49mm filter ring fits tightly around an after market m42 rear lens cap. I cut the end off of the cap, and removed the glass from a yellow filter, and epoxied them together. I was able to mount my ring flash to the thread end of my Takumar. The photos show what I created. It works great. A genuine rear m42 lens cap is beefier and has little ribs to strengthen the cap. I would not recommend using a genuine rear cap.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

Excellent work.

If you have the some of the later bellows (not only Pentax) with reversible front standards these often have filter threads on the reverse side. The Pentax Auto Bellows (screw mount) uses a clamp that should hold a step-up/down ring or a de-glazed filter ring to attach a ring flash.

Attached is the Pentax Auto Bellows with a Takumar Super-Multi-Coated 50mm f/4 Macro lens in the reversed position. (Note the manual does not recommend the macro lenses in the reversed position!). Reversible standards make life easier.
Attached Images

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-28-2013 at 08:38 PM.
09-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
kyc
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some time ago, I purchased female M42 to 52mm adapter, which allowed me to place 52mm filters, lens caps (and filter-mounted ring flash) on a reverse-mounted Takumar lens. These are available in various places, I recall buying from ebay. I think it was female M42 to male 52mm, which then also required a female-to-female 52mm coupler. Total cost was around $10.
09-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I'm missing something. Why not just buy two reverse mount adapters? Then you've got your filter rings back and can put your ring flash on that. No need to mess around with gluing things.