Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Time Sliced" Panormas

Actually, several weeks ago I tried something similar - not having seen any of this. I tried a linear panorama before twilight to after sunrise. In retrospect, its easier to get farther back and just shoot from a single spot like he does. But, I wanted to try a linear pano anyway - live and learn. One other item, while I am thinking about it. He makes it a point to have the slices be the first thing that some one notices. I had always thought that a gentle melding from light to dark across the frame with the architecture taking the point of prominence was a better approach. He is selling is images and I am just punting....

Also, this is somewhat the same approach to the 4 seasons shots of a tree in winter,spring, summer and fall...

Last edited by interested_observer; 08-31-2014 at 07:23 PM.
08-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To my taste the effect is too linear/too regimented. I would think a freer assembly of overlapping images, sort of the way the artist David Hockney arranged photo's, except instead of "[sort of] walking (moving) through space" one "walks (moves) through time" which is the same, except in the former case it occurs over minutes, and in the latter case a day. If you aren't familiar with Hockney's earlier photo work, you may want to have a look [e.g., David Hockney: a Retrospective, Abrams, 1988], as it may suggest other approaches.
08-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Meh...Interesting idea, kind of boring to me though. Should have smooth transitions instead of slices.
08-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I like this set of work much better - than the previous "paper shredder" approach.

09-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree that the slices are a little strange to me. Personally, I appreciate the blended gradient from light to dark.