Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Handholding a ND square filter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been thinking of getting a ND3.0 1000x 4x4 inch square filter. Being the minimalist I am, I'd like to go that route, and be able to use it with all my lenses. I don't have too many but they vary in front thread diameter (49, 52, 58, 67), some with in-built hoods some with screw on hood. Is it a bad idea to simply hand-hold the filter in front of the lens (hood)? I am talking tripod work, remote shutter release. I've seen videos of people handholding even ND Graduated filters which, I understand, are critical in their positioning, How much light would leak into the lens if I were to hold it, say, 1/4inch/5mm off the lens? Is this doable? What are your ideas, experience? Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

09-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have been thinking about doing the same thing (for FA31), looking forward to responses here.

Grad filter is not so high prio for me right now since the K-5IIs has great dynamic range, but I will try a setup like this for a "non-gradual" ND filter some time soon....

09-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Rubber bands! Interesting... Doable with a glass filter? Thinking of brittleness... This is what I'd like to get Haida ND3 0 1000x Square Optical Glass Neutral Density ND Filter 100x100mm | eBay
09-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxpixie Quote
Doable with a glass filter? Thinking of brittleness...
I think that depends on what type of rubber band you use.
I would probably switch from rubber bands to e.g. shoe laces - they should be quite soft to the touch (not scratch the glass), and you can vary the length by tying the glass to any camera/lens combination.
Disclaimer: I have not personally tried it (yet)!

09-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Shoe laces, even though you always have them on you, seem like too much of a stretch. I hope someone can chime in on the handholding.... When on a tripod, both of your hands are free, one for the filter, the other for your trigger.
09-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

When on a tripod, both of your hands are free, one for the filter, the other for your trigger
I absolutely agree!
Will probably post some results/comparisons as soon as I buy a filter and have time to go shooting ... so hopefully sometime still in 2014 -.-
09-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Shoe laces, even though you always have them on you, seem like too much of a stretch. I hope someone can chime in on the handholding.... When on a tripod, both of your hands are free, one for the filter, the other for your trigger.
Just my thoughts on hand held filter in front of lens, you would lose contrast from reflection on back side of filter if it was not flush to lens and if you do hold it flush you would increase vibration to camera.

09-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10 stops is really dark.
I know my Hitech IRND filter actually has a foam strip to seal between it and the filter holder.

I would be worried about light leaking around it if I hand-held it
(especially something like the FA31 with those big gaps at the side of the hood).

I almost always use the holder. If I hand-hold, it's usually the grad that gets held.
Then again, I often stack filters anyway, so the holder suits me.

I'll try it this weekend at our waterfall meetup and get back to you with the results.
09-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Just my thoughts on hand held filter in front of lens, you would lose contrast from reflection on back side of filter if it was not flush to lens and if you do hold it flush you would increase vibration to camera.
Of course touching the lens/hood would thwart it all. Check out this guy, though. And he is using a grad ND!

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 11:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I'll try it this weekend at our waterfall meetup and get back to you with the results.
I'd really appreciate that. The reason I'm asking about all this is my wish to eliminate gear. Not that a holder would add too much weight when backpacking, it's just all the extra work when using a holder/adaptor rings. Backbacking is pretty dirty... I was thinking of the handholding for daytime waterfalls, etc. Thanks for your input.

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 11:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
I absolutely agree!
Will probably post some results/comparisons as soon as I buy a filter and have time to go shooting ... so hopefully sometime still in 2014 -.-
Would love to hear about your findings.
09-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a start I have to say I cannot believe any one would find screwing in an adapter and fitting the filter holder a chore or nuisance , but that aside you can easily hold a full nd filter I front of a lens and light leaks won't happen witha solid or petal type hood , I often do it to slow down motion.

For graduated filters it's not so easy as you can't see wher the line is but I suppose you could mess about with rubber band or laces or string

You could also just as easily use a graduated filter effect in your software which allows you to , via layers , erase it from parts it has covered when you have a uneven horizon that's something that is impossible with a filter , but again can be rectified with judicious use of a brush in post.
09-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
For a start I have to say I cannot believe any one would find screwing in an adapter and fitting the filter holder a chore or nuisance , but that aside you can easily hold a full nd filter I front of a lens and light leaks won't happen witha solid or petal type hood , I often do it to slow down motion.
Good to know, thank you very much for the info That is good news.. As for screwing extra stuff onto your lens, try a 20 mile backpack, lens choice, mosquitos and the like. I am trying to find an easy way out on this.
09-02-2014, 12:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

you can buy lens caps that fit on the screw in ring so if you have ring and a cap on each lens no more problems and weight is negligible, you can also get hoods that fit in the filter mount but they can cause vignetting on a wide lens.
09-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Of course touching the lens/hood would thwart it all. Check out this guy, though. And he is using a grad ND!
Yes it does seem do able in video. You said you would hold the filter 5 mm or so mm off the lens, this would add reflection on the back of the filter. Still have doubts about holding the filter against the lens, it maybe okay on wide angle, just don't know about tele lenses. You asked for advice and I gave you my opinion. You have do the testing, so why ask for advice.
09-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As for screwing extra stuff onto your lens, try a 20 mile backpack, lens choice, mosquitos and the like. I am trying to find an easy way out on this.

I would get a single 67mm ND filter and the appropriate step-up rings. Compared to the weight of a large square filter and its case, a 67mm filter and a few rings may very well weigh even less.

If you are lugging a tripod along for hiking, 2 ounces for step-up rings is nothing! If you want to reduce weight by that much, leave the remote release at home and use a 2 second shutter delay instead.
09-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
This is absolutely correct. You may also, because of the material's darkness, get reflections of your lens face as well as the surroundings as ghosts on the image. That happened to me when shooting through a two-way mirror (even though I was in a a dark room.)