Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
B&W digital filters

Does anyone know of B&W digital filters software?

Eg my K-x allows to apply red, yellow green etc filters to B&W images in-camera to darken "blue" sky and make clouds standout - just as if you were using colour filters on B&W film. Is there software that allows us to do this to colour landscape images on computer (rather than in-camera) which can then be render b&w with the desired effect. I have tried photoshop and can't find away to do this.

Martin

11-26-2014, 12:52 AM   #2

Hi Martin,

I believe that Lightroom has these filters, though I prefer Silver Efex from Nik Collection. The demo version has all features though is time limited (14 days?).

Happy filtering!
11-26-2014, 04:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gfisher Quote
Hi Martin,

I believe that Lightroom has these filters, though I prefer Silver Efex from Nik Collection. The demo version has all features though is time limited (14 days?).

Happy filtering!
Hi Martin, I am agree with gfisher.
In Lightroom you can set the black and white and then you have a panel with the 8 main colours in which you can adjust every single colour to be darker or lighter.
But, for my experience (not so big), nothing is as good as Silver Efex from Nik Software, that is a plug in for Photoshop /Lightroom.
11-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop should have similar options as LR. When you convert to B&W, a mixing panel comes up with various colors. By adjusting those colors you are in essence providing filters for what colors get through. I think it's a bit reverse from the old color filters you'd put right on the lens.

However, for a more film-like type control, Silver Efex specifically has options for specific filters in addition to the color mixing palate. Plus, it allows you to simulate various B&W film types.

11-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Lightroom has BW conversions numbere 1 through 5. I usually find something nice there. If I were you I would start with one of these and then start saving your own profiles. If you don't have a post-processing program or a RAW developer, I would get one. Depending on your budget, I think Capture 1 has the best quality, Lightroom probably the best workflow for large volume tasks, Picasa if you want to get results quickly and you don't worry too much about the quality.
Another budget option that's a bit harder to use is RAWTherapee.

I also like DXO Filmpack if I just want to play with different 'looks', but only because I got an old version for free.
11-27-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes it looks as if one can do crude filtering in PS under "Calculations".

Thanks all for the software suggestions. It seems its the way to go for fine control.