Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Back button focusing

Is the K7 able to do back button focusing?

I mostly do nature shooting but did a fashion workshop (of all things) recently, where we were strongly encouraged to back button focus when autofocusing and to focus manually much more often than we do currently.

BTW: We were also encouraged to shoot manual, rather than shutter or aperture priority, as much as possible.

12-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Somewhere in your menus there will be an option to turn off the half shutter press focussing and to turn on the AF button focussing. I don't have a K7 so can't tell you exactly, but it will be there.
12-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have the K-7 either, but on my DL and K-30 I moved it to the back on the DL it moved to the OK button and on the K-30 It was moved to the AF/AE button. So I would think that Rod is correct in finding it in the Menu on the K-7 as well
12-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Closed Account

I use the AF button - above the LiveView (LV) on the K5IIs - as a standard now for a couple of years (See your manual on how to disable the half press AF). I only use the shutter button half press AF for sports photography or action shots where I don't have time to press the AF button in between shots, for the following reasons:
1- As soon as you press the shutter button the AF will activate on a spot you don't want it to... Use the AF button to focus and maintain the same focus irregardless of using the shutter - or use manual focus (the katzeye spilt screen will help for that). In your case it make total sense...
2- Using manual makes sense when you are shooting in a know environment (studio, gym, interiors, stable daylight...). Av will change your exposure every time and you end up with different exposures every time forcing you to increase your workload in PP...!!!
3- I use those 95% of time.
4- the K3 has an AF button right where it should be maybe - at your thumb - because it is a better way to focus 90% of the time...!

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 22:38 ----------

On the K7 the "AF" button is in the middle of the selector button for your meter.

12-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Somewhere in your menus there will be an option to turn off the half shutter press focussing and to turn on the AF button focussing. I don't have a K7 so can't tell you exactly, but it will be there.
No joy so far : (

I'm computer illiterate and incapable of reading and understanding manuals for anything electronic but usually motivated enough to get there in the end when it is something to do with photography.
12-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
I use the AF button - above the LiveView (LV) on the K5IIs - as a standard now for a couple of years (See your manual on how to disable the half press AF). I only use the shutter button half press AF for sports photography or action shots where I don't have time to press the AF button in between shots, for the following reasons:
1- As soon as you press the shutter button the AF will activate on a spot you don't want it to... Use the AF button to focus and maintain the same focus irregardless of using the shutter - or use manual focus (the katzeye spilt screen will help for that). In your case it make total sense...
2- Using manual makes sense when you are shooting in a know environment (studio, gym, interiors, stable daylight...). Av will change your exposure every time and you end up with different exposures every time forcing you to increase your workload in PP...!!!
4- the K3 has an AF button right where it should be maybe - at your thumb - because it is a better way to focus 90% of the time...!

On the K7 the "AF" button is in the middle of the selector button for your meter.
...Sorry, of the AF points selector

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 22:41 ----------

Sorry , the Auto focus points selector - like on the K5
12-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Ah got there!

Thanks so much everybody for your help.

A lot of people have told me that back button focusing really makes a difference for wildlife. I'm coming to the view that it can help get those special moments in portrait/ candid photography too.

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 07:53 PM ----------

BTW: If you are in Australia, Peter Coulson is a fantastic teacher of photography skills as well as a leading fashion/ glamour photographer. If you do any kind of portrait shooting, keep a lookout for his workshops.

12-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There's another thread on the forum about it. I tried it and found I hated it so went back to shutter button focussing.
12-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't have the k-7 any more... to disable the AF with Half-press of shutter release button, the setting should be under 'button-customization' in the shooting menu. Don't remember exactly for sure....
12-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are my first efforts at BB focusing, although I over-rode it and manual touched up on some:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153459658453084.1073741906.79434...1
12-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the thread I believe p38arover referred to:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/253799-back-button-af.html
12-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
Is the K7 able to do back button focusing?
The answer is yes but I can't tell you exactly how to enable/disable it on a K-7.
12-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the K-5II it is in the Camera Menu (first tab), 5th page under "Button Customization". Set AF Button to Enable AF and Shutter Button Half Press to Off.
12-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

+1 for BBF. I switched a couple yrs ago and it makes so much more sense to me for landscape, event, sports, & wildlife shooting. good luck
12-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the K-7 is able to back-button focus, though the implementation of it is less sophisticated than on the K-3, which even lets you select a number of tracking options, and has a more ergonomically sound (read: thumb-friendly) position of the AF button.

Okay, all you need to know for configuring your K-7 is on p. 120 of the English manual. Basically, you select [Cancel AF] in [13. AF Button Function] in the [C Custom Setting 2] menu. As the idea behind back button AF is to make you more flexible between Continuous and Single AF just as the action unfolds, make sure that you set the focus mode lever to AF.C (Continuous mode). That way the K-7 should try to keep a moving subject in focus and would let you shoot without trying to refocus each time you half-press the shutter. By simply letting go of the AF button you should be able to keep the AF locked on what was last in focus (as if you were shooting in AF.S, i.e. Single mode). With the K-7, I would select a single AF point for this type of shooting, likely the most sensitive one in the centre, to prevent the camera from trying to make up its mind (and therefore losing time) between different Auto AF points.

So much for the theory. (Can't test it, since I upgraded from a K-7 to a K-3 in the summer.) If it does the trick for you and your shooting needs, only you can find out, I guess. At any rate, it may take a little practice to get used to the new technique. Hope I could help.