Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2015, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

How have I missed this

Well today I decided to put my new K3 on a tripod and do some low light testing vs hand held shots. Wow. Up until now I have never used a tripod for photography but I do own a very good one that I use with some really high end sport optics.

I was under the impression that SR reduced or eliminated the need for a tripod but I can clearly see what a blundering fool I have been. Can't wait to take it outside when we get some good light and see how much better it gets.

01-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
Well today I decided to put my new K3 on a tripod and do some low light testing vs hand held shots. Wow. Up until now I have never used a tripod for photography but I do own a very good one that I use with some really high end sport optics.

I was under the impression that SR reduced or eliminated the need for a tripod but I can clearly see what a blundering fool I have been. Can't wait to take it outside when we get some good light and see how much better it gets.
Yep, You live and you learn. I've been using tripods for a long time and getting more used to using them while hiking easy trails. There's been a lot of times when I didn't use one too. But they always come in handy when your doing a timer on a camera. And cameras have had self timers and tripod mounts for a long time too.

I also use my SR but I don't rely on that all. I rely on learning to keep myself steady but when your next to a wall use that to your advantage.
01-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #3

When I go hiking on tough trails I also bring a tripod. I extend the legs and use it as a walking stick.

Love tripods for long exposure night work
01-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

Make sure to turn off your SR when using your tripod. Use a timer mode or remote shutter release (cable or Flu type card) and try locking up the mirror to reduce any vibrations. Add some weight (camera bag full of "stuff") hanging low on the center of your tripod for added stability. And always make sure your setup is secure...from tripod legs, to any extensions, tripod head, and camera itself. A lot of $$$ are hanging out there in the breeze.

Last edited by Hogdriver; 01-31-2015 at 02:52 PM.
01-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pick up a monopod too

I have a small Manfrotto one that I never leave home without. Sits on top of my messenger bag with a velcro attachment, sits on the side of my backpack, fits into the lower inside pocket of a jacket or vest. Sometimes a tripod is just too heavy or cumbersome - eg on the sidelines of a sporting event. Plus a tripod is not always practical to use indoors.
01-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
see how much better it gets
It also tends to slow you down a bit, so the composition also usually improves as well.
01-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to photography! As you found out, tripods are better than hand-holding shots. The caveat to that is "below certain shutter speeds". Digital photography has opened up the world of higher ISOs and that greatly extended the range of shots that could be hand-held. That is a tremendous boon in certain areas of photography, but if a person is shooting static subjects, like landscapes or certain nature shots, there's no substitute for a good tripod.

02-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I use a tripod almost all the time. Mostly wildlife longer lens. I miss the odd shot from not being ready, but the shots I get are much better.

One caveat. Handheld shooting is a skill learned by practice. It is not possible to use a tripod in some circumstances, so if you use the tripod exclusively those skill won't be there. On the other hand, you may be driven to improve handheld to replicate the tripod results.
02-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'll have to get used to the idea of dragging a tripod around but from the differences I can see it will be worth the hassle. I don't think I'll fully appreciate the capabilities of my K3 without it.