Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tips for outdoor wedding partially shoot into sunlight?

What are some good tips for taking pictures at a wedding that's outdoors and will likely be partially shot directly into the sun? The wedding is at 5 PM. Also what filters will help make sure that the sky is equally as exposed as the people and grass in foreground? Would that be a ND filter or polarizing filter?

05-22-2015, 12:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think underexpose (ex : -2EV) to get the sky & cloud details then use flash to compensate
05-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #3
Forum Member

I was going to say, the same. Flash to bring up the foreground and expose for the background.
05-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should have mentioned, my Pentax flash no longer works!

05-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #5

No flash makes this tough! A polarizing filter would normally help darken the sky, but they don't work pointed directly at the sun. This might be one of those rare instances where it is 'ok' to use your on-camera popup flash.
05-22-2015, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Use a reflector (a white plastic board works very well) to bounce the light back to your subject.
Bending your reflector for a softer light
If you use your on-camera flash, put a diffuser in front of it
05-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johndny Quote
No flash makes this tough! A polarizing filter would normally help darken the sky, but they don't work pointed directly at the sun. This might be one of those rare instances where it is 'ok' to use your on-camera popup flash.
Wouldn't a polarizer also darken the foreground? I agree with the others that flash(es) or a reflector is the way to go.

05-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A polarizer does darken everything and only cuts reflections at 90 degrees to the sun. Or on foliage /water with no sky in the image. Again expose for the sky and add light to the foreground.

If you aren't the main photographer, you may not be allowed to use flash or a reflector. You may not be close enough to use a pop up flash if you were allowed.
05-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
If you aren't the main photographer, you may not be allowed to use flash or a reflector.
Exposure bracketing then merge manually as you like it (don't trust automatic HDR, it will produce a surreal photo). Mask is your friend

But if you are not the main photographer, by all mean, leave everything to the main photog. It's their job and they might loose an amazing shot because someone else try to capture the photos and intrude in the frame @_@
05-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
What are some good tips for taking pictures at a wedding that's outdoors and will likely be partially shot directly into the sun? The wedding is at 5 PM. Also what filters will help make sure that the sky is equally as exposed as the people and grass in foreground? Would that be a ND filter or polarizing filter?
I'm assuming that you are not going be paid for this, because if you are, you should buy a flash. You have two choices: You can under expose as already mentioned and then bring light to the subjects via post processing, or you can make sure the subjects are as properly exposed as possible, and blow out the sky. Subjects that have both shadows and direct light on them (high contrast) are very problematic. Good luck.
05-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think a gradient filter is what you were looking for, but would be hard to use with people assuming some will be standing above the horizon line.

Buy a new flash or fix your current flash, and lots of practice.
05-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Buy a high power flash and go practice on a family member several times before the actual wedding. You might get lucky and have a cloudy day, but I never seem to get lucky.
05-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I would use at least one flash mounted on a reflective umbrella directed at the wedding solemnization area.
But that seems a bit too late to pull off.

Some large styrofoam boards held up my helpers may help reflect light onto the wedding area, since you mention that you'd be shooting against the Sun.

I am a bit apprehensive to recommend much w/o knowledge of your familiarity with your equipment and shooting in general.

You might have to practice the above to be safe.
05-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
I should have mentioned, my Pentax flash no longer works!

You should do something about this, Newtophotos. Have a look in the cases of pros at work and you might find three flashes.
05-25-2015, 12:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are getting paid to shoot this wedding, buy a new flash. Seriously.
None of your lenses are very flare resistant. I would try to get hold of a DA21 for group shots and anything into the sun. Although the DA15 has even better flare resistance it is probably too wide.