Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #1

monochrome infrared pentax camera conversions

I was wondering just how many pentax users, have had monochrome infrared conversions done to any of their cameras.....K-3...K5...K-two, and so on, I am mostly interested in proceedures, also shutter speeds, and appertures used. So you able to take hand held photo's......cheers Edward

;

10-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Infra Red Conversion

Hi,

I have a Kr that has been converted and is for sale.

Regards.
10-05-2015, 02:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've only just started with IR. My first half-decent colour image (here) was with a K5 propped on a gate (ISO 3 secs f8) using a DAL 18-55 kit lens, to which a Hoya R72 filter was fitted. I've recently had a Full Spectrum Conversion done on this K5 by Kolari Vision in the US - I'm expecting it to arrive in tomorrow's mail. My expectation is that I'll be able to take shorter exposure hand-held images this way.
10-05-2015, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 720nm converted*istDL2.

I use it as I would use my 'normal' K3 with regard to shutter speed, aperture, etc.

In post processing I generally flip the red and blue channels for the false colour look, but every image is different. If I want a monochrome look then I generally use only the 'red' channel.

I also have a Sigma SD14 which is great for monochrome images, but not false colour.

I started out in IR with an unconverted *istDS and a R72 filter on the lens. this did require long shutter speeds &/or higher ISOs, to capture a usable image.

A few examples:

Converted *istDL2. ISO 400, 1/320s, F8.

Converted *istDL2. ISO 400, 1/400s, F8.

Sigma SD14, R72 filter

Unconverted *istDS. ISO 800, 1/8s, F8.

Lots more examples in my Flickr Digital Infrared album.

Last edited by fwwidall; 10-05-2015 at 08:33 AM.
10-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I have a Kr that has been converted and is for sale.

Regards.
I was thinking about converting my K-r to IR. how did you do that? did you sent one to service center or did you just yank out the cuttof filter by yourself?
10-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

nice pics fwwidal
10-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hello Fwwidal, Yes very nice photo's, (very jealous), besides considering a camera conversion, I am really interested in just the black and white monochrome infrared....for your monochrome infrared pics, are they the pics straight from the camera....or did you after go into photo shop, for picture manipulation. I do not do any computer printing, I was hoping just to take monochrome pics, and view them on my cameras LDC screen, or maybe see them on a television screen. I have for the past twenty years, only taken monochrome infrared on my Mamiya 7 two, film camera. but today its difficult, getting suitable film.....your photo's are the best I have seen, keep up your very good work.....I use to live in Edmonton Alberta, in 1957, how time flies...very kind regards....EdwardPrince

10-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your very kind comments.

The images straight out of the camera are very reddish and they do have to be processed to get a useable image.

For example here is an image I took of a ship in the Welland canal straight from the camera:

and after processing:

Sorry, I have no suggestions on how to achieve what you want.

Fred.
10-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I converted my K10 to 720nm IR years ago. I've used it a lot. It has made IR photography much easier.

Here is a recent thread of mine with minimal discussions about processing of each of several images:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/300428-landscape-infr...arboretum.html
10-13-2015, 10:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What does the conversion consist of? Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do it, and what all is involved?
10-13-2015, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
What does the conversion consist of? Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do it, and what all is involved?
The conversion involves disassembly of the camera including desoldering parts, removal of the UV/IR/AA filter in front of the sensor, obtaining an IR cut off filter, cutting that filter to the exact size, installing the new filter, not electrocuting yourself on the flash capacitor, reassembly, adjusting the fine focus, and maintaining a clean environment.

Or

Sending your camera to a shop that does the conversion.

Or

Buying a converted camera from one of several retailers that maintain an inventory of converted cameras.

There are several sites online for each of the three options.

I chose the second option at a shop in San Diego, for a cost of about $250.

My regret is that I did not convert the top of the line model, instead I converted my old K10. An IR conversion is a relatively rare event for me (and most folks). I should have spent the few extra dollars for an IR camera that would last me for years and years, in contrast to my main "normal" DSLR which I upgrade every three years. I miss the extra megapixels for cropping and enlargement. DR and high ISO performance are sufficient for me from my K10 IR for my landscapes. If I were to do this again, I'd use a K3 II.

---------- Post added 10-13-15 at 10:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
I have a 720nm converted*istDL2.

Unconverted *istDS. ISO 800, 1/8s, F8.

Fantastic images! What kind of filtration did you use on that last image?
10-14-2015, 04:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote

Fantastic images! What kind of filtration did you use on that last image?
Thanks for the kind comment.

Hmmm, I shot that back in 2007 so I don't recall all the details. As I said it was taken with my unconverted *istDS, probably with a SMC Pentax-M 28mm F3.5 and Hoya R72 filter. As for post processing I probably just flipped the blue and red channels, and adjusted brightness, contrast, etc to taste.

Fred.
10-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
The conversion involves
Thanks! I was considering having my K7 converted.
10-28-2015, 04:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone do IR conversions in Australia?
10-28-2015, 05:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Anyone do IR conversions in Australia?
To the best of my knowledge, no. There are companies in America that remove the hot mirror/UV filter and literally scrape the first few microns off your sensor to convert it to full spectrum/monochrome. However it is a costly thing to have done.