Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something wrong with DNG and PEF from my K-3

Hi everyone!

Earlier I observed what WB of my photos (K-3 with latest firmware) is not properly showed in Lightroom. But today,when I compared them with photos taken by other cameras (ist-D and K-01), I realized what my files (both type DNG and PEF) have much more issues.
You can see the differences in attached picture: on the left are my file with its properties (no preview and exif info), and on the right is presented the file taken by k-01 with properties (beautiful preview and fulfilled info).
Can anybody help me fix this issue with my photos?

Thanks,
Ruslan

Attached Images

04-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Couple of things. DNGs aren't natively supported in windows. You need the Adobe Codec for that. Maybe you have an older version of it? Secondly, you have an underscore in the name, is that how it comes from the camera? Also, have you tried resetting the camera settings to it's default and try shooting then?
04-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by julianbenjamin Quote
Couple of things. DNGs aren't natively supported in windows. You need the Adobe Codec for that. Maybe you have an older version of it? Secondly, you have an underscore in the name, is that how it comes from the camera? Also, have you tried resetting the camera settings to it's default and try shooting then?
The underscore in the beginning of the filename denotes that it is in the AdobeRGB color space.
04-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Those appear to be FastStone, not Lightroom property windows on right and left. The center appears to be an explorer view in Windows where RAW support is codec-specific. You might want to update to the most recent version of FastStone* and also look into codecs that support your K-3. (FWIW, the Windows 10 install on my laptop will not show K-3 DNG* or PEF thumbnails either.)

Steve

* FastStone should have been able to read the embedded preview JPEG for both PEF and DNG from your K-3 as well as EXIF. I don't remember any reported issues for that product when the K-3 debuted a couple of years back, though Lightroom support was a little sketchy for several months.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-29-2016 at 02:04 PM.
04-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks julianbenjamin!
You need the Adobe Codec for that. Maybe you have an older version of it?
I have windows 8.1. I never mind earlier what of Adobe codec are there.

Secondly, you have an underscore in the name, is that how it comes from the camera?
Yes, it's about Adobe RGB space of the files.

Also, have you tried resetting the camera settings to it's default and try shooting then?
No, never reset the settings. Just updating the firmware. But, this was happening with all versions of the firmware.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Those appear to be FastStone, not Lightroom property windows on right and left. The center appears to be an explorer view in Windows where RAW support is codec-specific. You might want to update to the most recent version of FastStone* and also look into codecs that support your K-3. (FWIW, the Windows 10 install on my laptop will not show K-3 DNG* or PEF thumbnails either.)
Faststone is just set as defoult program for the DNG files.

1) Why my windows show all another's DNG and PEF as a preview, except my, which appear only as icons?
2) Why almost all the fields in File properties of my files are empty, while I check all the box in camera settings to be saved in exif?
04-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruslanvremea Quote
1) Why my windows show all another's DNG and PEF as a preview, except my, which appear only as icons?
You don't see the previews in Windows Explorer because you probably don't have the K-3 codecs installed on your computer. At least that is the most common cause. Windows does not have the ability to display preview images from DNG or PEF for your K-3 without having appropriate codecs installed.

2) Why almost all the fields in File properties of my files are empty, while I check all the box in camera settings to be saved in exif?
I don't believe your camera has the option to select what is saved in the EXIF ("properties"). If your software reads nothing for the EXIF ("properties") there are a few possibilities:
  • The file is corrupted.
    You can test for this by reviewing the image in the camera using the "Detailed Information" display. Do this BEFORE uploading to the computer. If you are able to preview, the file is fine, at least it was saved properly to the card. It is possible that it may have been corrupted while being copied to your computer. In which case, the card reader or cable may be at fault.
  • The file is not a true copy from the original.
    If the file has been edited in any way or "saved" from a program, it is possible that the EXIF has been stripped. This is common for the proprietary portions, but no unknown for the full EXIF.
  • Your software is unable to read the file EXIF.
    This is unlikely, but not impossible. You may want to update your copy of Faststone to be sure. I am not a Faststone user and don't know how it reacts when it encounters a file from a new camera type.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-30-2016 at 09:17 AM.
04-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
Steve,
I don't believe your camera has the option to select what is saved in the EXIF ("properties")
I meant the item MEMORY in the menu that allow to save in the EXIF extra settings as: flash mode; drive mode; white balance and so on. I checked all this boxes.

About the possibilities, proposed by you:
- The files can't be corrupted. Many settings from exif I can see in Lightroom (except WB which is almost always 6400/+7), Faststone and other;
- This is about all my photos ever take with my K-3, so this can't be because o the editing in any other software;
- It's not about software, in attached in first post picture, I tried to show how my EXPLORER read files properties of the photos taken by my K-3 and other Pentax body.

Thanks a lot for trying to fix out my photos,
Ruslan

04-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I meant the item MEMORY in the menu that allow to save in the EXIF extra settings as: flash mode; drive mode; white balance and so on. I checked all this boxes.
No relation to EXIF. To make sure, I just tried unchecking both sensitivity (ISO) and Exposure Compensation and did an exposure with my K-3. Both settings were present in both the standard EXIF and in the makernotes sections of the metadata.

It's not about software, in attached in first post picture, I tried to show how my EXPLORER read files properties of the photos taken by my K-3 and other Pentax body.
So they are....sorry for the confusion, my bad .

As for your K-3 vs. your other Pentax body and Windows support for viewing EXIF as properties and presence of preview image, I have no explanation except that neither my Win 7 Pro nor my Win 10 Pro computers are able to read the EXIF from PEF or DNG from my K-3 or from the K10D that I had before*. What I see for EXPLORER on my Win 10 computer is the same as what you are seeing on Win 8...No preview, no properties except file size, and no nothing except for file information.

My conclusion, based on your clarification, is that there is nothing wrong with your camera and probably nothing wrong with your computer except maybe an outdated set of supplemental DNG/PEF codecs. As noted above, you might want to try the free codecs from Adobe. The most recent version should support your K-3.

K-3 DNG properties in Win 10 Explorer (no additional codecs installed):

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 385
Size:  40.2 KB

Thanks for the clarification and your patience.

Steve

* FWIW, the same has been true of my XP Pro computer. It is currently not bootable or I would check it too.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-30-2016 at 02:00 PM.
04-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As for your K-3 vs. your other Pentax body and Windows support for viewing EXIF as properties and presence of preview image, I have no explanation...
That was before I did a little deeper digging. Your problem is fairly common and I found a good explanation related to Win 8.1 in a comment from about a year ago:

Here is a link to a pertinent comment on a thread from last year where a Win 8.1 user was having a related problem:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...ml#post3110450

The comment explains why you see for your older cameras, but not the K-3.

Steve
05-01-2016, 04:02 AM   #10

Original Poster
YES, it works! Downloaded from Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows : Adobe DNG Codec 2.0
Even camera settings are displayed by explorer in file properties for all my DNG.
But my PEF files are displayed as earlier, just thumbnail, and no properties present((

Thanks a lot for help,
Ruslan

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 14:07 ----------

How about wrong WB displayed in Lightroom after importing?
If I don't check the FINE TUNE WB WITH FLASH box in camera's menu, Lightroom always interpret my FLASH WB settings as: temp = 6400K; tint = +7.
05-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #11

YES, it works! Downloaded from Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows : Adobe DNG Codec 2.0
Even camera settings are displayed by explorer in file properties for all my DNG.
But my PEF files are displayed as earlier, just thumbnail, and no properties present((

Thanks a lot for help,
Ruslan

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 14:07 ----------

How about wrong WB displayed in Lightroom after importing?
If I don't check the FINE TUNE WB WITH FLASH box in camera's menu, Lightroom always interpret my FLASH WB settings as: temp = 6400K; tint = +7.
What version of Lightroom? Have you updated to the latest Adobe Camera Raw?
05-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #12

Original Poster
What version of Lightroom? Have you updated to the latest Adobe Camera Raw?
For now I use Lightroom 6.4 version, but this issue happened with earlier version too.
05-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #13

For now I use Lightroom 6.4 version, but this issue happened with earlier version too.
Would you upload one of the problem files someplace and post a link here? I'm wondering if it's a workflow issue, and someplace in your import you have a step that sets the White Balance.
05-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #14

Original Poster
Would you upload one of the problem files someplace and post a link here? I'm wondering if it's a workflow issue, and someplace in your import you have a step that sets the White Balance.
Here is one photo made with the built in flash (WB when using flash = flash):
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=DD487EC2DAE36E59!268187&authkey=!AKV7K...int=file%2cDNG

Sorry for the delay.
05-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #15

Interesting. Did the same for me. However, the image looks ok to me. I never noticed the Temp and Tint. Looking back at some of my images that I had the flash fire I have Temps of 5080 and 5800, and Tints of +6 and +8.

Changing the Profile under Camera Calibration to Embedded brought the Temp down to 6200 but the Tint went up to 20. WB says "As Shot". Do you shoot your pictures in the same general lighting? Maybe it's correct. Does it throw your colors off from how you remember the picture should look to how it actually looks?